The quarter final thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

We need to attack them, and for me, I'd start Conway ahead of Larmour.
    I agree jag but it seems that birdie has flown too
    Gwan Joe!!

Comment

I think Joe sees Conway as one of his finishers, very level headed and able to be deployed in a number of positions.

I just cannot see Bob not making the 23 though.

Pray to your deity of choice we are appointed a northern hemi whistleman
      I am the million man.

Comment

I'd be well put out if I was Italian.
        After 35 mins, kiwis 10 Namibia 9...
        Them kiwis aint what they was no more
        Last edited by ustix; 13th-October-2019, 16:06.
        Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

We need to attack them, and for me, I'd start Conway ahead of Larmour.
          I agree re attack
          I'd start Larmour, Conway ahead of Stockdale (as he ain't been much good), Henshaw at 13, Farrell at 12, usual backrow, with Ruddock & Beirne on the bench.
          Along with Joey C, Killer, Scannell & Porter , now that's a squad that can attack.

P.s. of course it's all slightly academic, as NZ, are the better side, much better rested & more likely to be favoured by a ref.....sorry, I hope I'm wrong!!

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

Somewhere between 11 and 13 points behind New Zealand according to the bookies. Thought they'd be favourites but 2 try favourites is hefty

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-10-13 at 17.08.56.png
Views:	96
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	2579851

I am the million man.

Comment

I really hope Ireland can surprise us. New Zealand haven't really been tested in their last five fixtures apart from RSA at the start of the RWC and they weer a little fortunate then IMHO. They've had losses to RSA and Australia already this season and even Argentina gave them a game. I'd hope we can catch them cold-ish the way we did in Chicago and rack up a bit of a score early on and then stay with with them.

This is a real test of Schmidt. It's pretty much what he hoped before the start if the comp, to be facing one of RSA or NZ with a full deck and everyone fit - apart from Conan. There's no excuses, not that I think he'd be looking or them anyway.
              Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by rathbaner View Post
                I really hope Ireland can surprise us. New Zealand haven't really been tested in their last five fixtures apart from RSA at the start of the RWC and they weer a little fortunate then IMHO. They've had losses to RSA and Australia already this season and even Argentina gave them a game. I'd hope we can catch them cold-ish the way we did in Chicago and rack up a bit of a score early on and then stay with with them.

This is a real test of Schmidt. It's pretty much what he hoped before the start if the comp, to be facing one of RSA or NZ with a full deck and everyone fit - apart from Conan. There's no excuses, not that I think he'd be looking or them anyway.
                Good point. There was always a significant chance we could finish 2nd, with Bonus points etc. Accepting Japan are better than expected. I would be amazed if Joe hasn’t gamed this already, this is his forte..
                i don’t really understand betting, looking above, are the bookies saying it’s NZ by 11/10. That’s pretty close.

Comment

long shot I know but looking for tickets to the ireland quarter final, have two tickets for the japan quarterfinal that I could potentially swap!

thanks a lo

Comment

Originally posted by reded View Post

Good point. There was always a significant chance we could finish 2nd, with Bonus points etc. Accepting Japan are better than expected. I would be amazed if Joe hasn’t gamed this already, this is his forte..
                    i don’t really understand betting, looking above, are the bookies saying it’s NZ by 11/10. That’s pretty close.
                    The 11/10 is even money on the handicap, not the game itself. The odds on the game will be much different.

Essentially what that image is saying is that the bookmakers think NZ will beat us by somewhere around 12 points next weekend ( and they can be ominously prophetic on these handicap markets)
                    I am the million man.

Comment

It would be a massive swing in form, but almost every player going into that QF knows what's needed to beat NZ, and that's a massive, massive thing. Would lean towards NZ objectively though.

I can see the Japanese doing South Africa. They're genuinely exciting with the ball in hand, and SA will have to suffocate them and grind them down.

England will beat the Aussies, I'm pretty sure. This is an average Australian side and they'll be outgunned up front.

Wales will back themselves heavily against the French, and I would too bar the usual caveats about the French pulling something out of nowhere.

The Japanese story has been great for the tournament, but I actually think a Welsh win in that game is most important for the credibility of the tournament. Otherwise we'll end up with 3 semi finalists who were all spared a group game. Not a great look.
                      "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Wales should win handily enough, as should England I reckon. France are ordinary and the Aussies don’t have the firepower up front for England.

We’re obviously underdogs but we’re very much back in form, and a lot of the key lads only played 50 minutes or so against Samoa so hopefully fatigue won’t be too great. We’re a little more battle hardened than NZ so maybe we’ll catch them a bit cold.

Comment

Hi Guys.
                          I'm looking to swap 6 tickets (less is possible) Japan v South Africa for Ireland v New Zealand tickets. 3 Cat C and 3 Cat D available. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
                            Larmour should start at 15 I think. He will beat defenders more than Bobert, he's more of a playmaker.

Ireland going out to beat NZ without scoring tries and mostly relying on the defence is not good enough to even compete IMO
                            He's not just more of a playmaker, he's a better defender too. Larmour comes across to some as just a fancy dan back with dancing feet. But if you watch him closely, he does not shirk the physical stuff and is actually quite a tough nut. Bobert has been falling off tackles for some time.
                            I wish Joe had the balls to pick Larmour (or Conway). Ireland will not beat the ABs by playing plodding rugby.

Erse end of nowhere

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffy View Post

He's not just more of a playmaker, he's a better defender too. Larmour comes across to some as just a fancy dan back with dancing feet. But if you watch him closely, he does not shirk the physical stuff and is actually quite a tough nut. Bobert has been falling off tackles for some time.
                              I wish Joe had the balls to pick Larmour (or Conway). Ireland will not beat the ABs by playing plodding rugby.
                              It's more than just that though, it's backing the young player over the old player. Larmer will make mistakes but he will create chances too.

One thing I hope Farrell builds upon (even if results falter) is nobody assured of the Jersey

The kiwis drop lads at 28 like, a true conveyor belt
                              I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post
                                It would be a massive swing in form, but almost every player going into that QF knows what's needed to beat NZ, and that's a massive, massive thing. Would lean towards NZ objectively though.

I can see the Japanese doing South Africa. They're genuinely exciting with the ball in hand, and SA will have to suffocate them and grind them down.

England will beat the Aussies, I'm pretty sure. This is an average Australian side and they'll be outgunned up front.

Wales will back themselves heavily against the French, and I would too bar the usual caveats about the French pulling something out of nowhere.

The Japanese story has been great for the tournament, but I actually think a Welsh win in that game is most important for the credibility of the tournament. Otherwise we'll end up with 3 semi finalists who were all spared a group game. Not a great look.
                                I'm with you apart from the bit about Wales backing themselves heavily
                                Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Working...
                                X