The quarter final thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

The core rugby support is still, I suspect, relatively small- but there are plenty of people prepared to go along and cheer a winning team. Over the last 20 years Irish (provincial) rugby has been remarkably successful- by any standards, let alone Irish club /national standards ( soccer in Europe? Closest might be hockey)- and you would hope that success would have converted more to core / rather than camp following support. Maybe we imagine that Ireland should dominate the way Leinster/Munster have, and when they don’t the marginal support follows another camp, part in puzzlement, part in search of another more dependable good time. It’s also possible that the dreadful 6N, hammering by England, also weakened this core support. The Scotland game might have ignited it, but the japan will have dampened it again. Some of the core, in Munster, and perhaps also in Leinster, prefer supporting their province to the national team- and that’s not helped by spats over who should have gone to japan, and who shouldn’t (media outrage over Toner). The players and management deserve the nations support, and have that of most of us here, despite differences of opinion about how it might have gone better. Cmon Ireland, I hope we hear Athenry Molly and Stand up bellowed out tomorrow, and swell with pride.
    Great post and it is definitely a myriad of factors. I think the hockey example is very interesting one, given that it is played by a far smaller sector of society than rugby. Yet, a lot of the same people who criticize rugby for it's alleged class system problem, had no problem cheering on the Irish Women's hockey team when they got the final of the World cup. So yes, it is definitely more than just a class issue and I think Ireland and the IRFU are doing a far better job than a lot of other countries( like Scotland, Australia or even England ) at spreading the game for all classes.

Comment

Lads, I'm sick of analyzing. Tomorrow is Ireland vs NZ in a RWC qrtr final. We have no injuries to our key players, we have beaten these guys before, we are underdogs, the weather is ideal. POM, Best, Kearney, Healy, Earls, Sexton, Murray are all playing in their last ever RWC, they will literally die on that pitch tomorrow to get us over the line. I don't know what numbers will be there but i expect there will be more irish noise in the stadium than NZ. even with all of that we quite likely won't win, shouldn't win, but Jaysus we could win and i'll be losing my **** for 2 hours tomorrow morning either way.

C'mon Ireland!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad.
      - Salvador Dali (1904-1989)

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cwhi5FWUAAE0sZq.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	2580286

Name:	621304390.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	2580287

Name:	1611838.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	2580288

Name:	AcademicVastGoral-size_restricted.gif
Views:	73
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	2580289

Reason and logic are now VERBOTEN. This is blind faith and prayers territory.

Believe
        I am the million man.

Comment

It's gonna happen
          Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Even Neddy Flanders was sinning that day

Name:	ResponsibleAromaticErin-size_restricted.gif
Views:	75
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	2580292

There's a gif of Sexton and Stockdale (I think) horsing some Kiwi into touch in The Aviva and Jonny giving it beltara but I cant find it, if anyone comes across it please do put it up
            I am the million man.

Comment

happen, happens all the time.
              Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Originally posted by In Joe we trust View Post

If we have to score tries well Rob has scored 3 in his last 3 games but hey lets drop him....
                I'm sorry, I think I've heard it all now, you're citing Robs try scoring exploits as a reason to pick him?! LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

\"Only Pienaar, Botha and Ferris would be in contention for a place on our first 15. That\'s a fact.\" - Tickettout\'s take on Ulster April 2011.

Comment

Better People make Better All Blacks my Hole. Complete Hypocrasy by Hanson and Co in relation to the Selection of Reece

Ireland by two scores tomorrow.

CMON!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Upfront_1979 View Post
                    Lads, I'm sick of analyzing. Tomorrow is Ireland vs NZ in a RWC qrtr final. We have no injuries to our key players, we have beaten these guys before, we are underdogs, the weather is ideal. POM, Best, Kearney, Healy, Earls, Sexton, Murray are all playing in their last ever RWC, they will literally die on that pitch tomorrow to get us over the line. I don't know what numbers will be there but i expect there will be more irish noise in the stadium than NZ. even with all of that we quite likely won't win, shouldn't win, but Jaysus we could win and i'll be losing my **** for 2 hours tomorrow morning either way.

C'mon Ireland!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                    I'd say Murray has another world cup in him. Agree with the rest of that though. C'mon Ireland!

Comment

Lads, can we park the Rob Kearney analysis/selection until after the game. We all knew Joe would be starting him so there's not much point going around in circles at this stage.

Comment

Very few are giving us a chance going into this game. All the pressure is on the ABs, a loss for them would be apocalyptic.

If Ireland can somehow find another gear or two tomorrow, keep the penalty count low, and do well at set piece, we'll be in with a chance.

Keeping Savea relatively quiet will be key too as he gives them more momentum than any other player.

Comment

Originally posted by kahalui View Post
                          Lads, can we park the Rob Kearney analysis/selection until after the game. We all knew Joe would be starting him so there's not much point going around in circles at this stage.
                          I think we all hope that Rob and the other 22 players have the game of their lives and bring Ireland into a place we have never been to before.

Comment

Comment

It’s 12 years since New Zealand lost a rugby game at the World Cup. Bate into them, lads

G’wan Ireland
                              "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

https://youtu.be/nHhFHqKlrLY

https://independent.bbvms.com/view/embed/3448446.html
                                The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad.
                                - Salvador Dali (1904-1989)

Comment

Working...
                                X