The quarter final thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
    it doesn't feel like a crusade, it doesn't really feel like the nation is foursquare behind them and I can't figure out why.
    Probably our fault, to be fair. In Dublin anyway, there's always been resentment towards rugby's recent success, mainly because the guy you saw playing on a Saturday could easily be at your door Sunday morning to **** you out of your house for being eight minutes late with your rent. Lots of people enjoy seeing the rugby lads fail for class reasons, whereas in Munster I'd say most people at least wish the rugby team well even if they're not fans.

Comment

Originally posted by whimpersnap View Post

Probably our fault, to be fair. In Dublin anyway, there's always been resentment towards rugby's recent success, mainly because the guy you saw playing on a Saturday could easily be at your door Sunday morning to **** you out of your house for being eight minutes late with your rent. Lots of people enjoy seeing the rugby lads fail for class reasons, whereas in Munster I'd say most people at least wish the rugby team well even if they're not fans.
      Sorry WS, but you’ve gone full Stockholm now
      Only fools and drunks argue over everything. If you don’t have a hangover the next day you’re not the drunk...

Comment

Good points and it is a fair bit better in Munster, but there are still some areas(particularly in Cork) where people would love nothing more than an Irish loss. I don't think the IRFU help themselves with slogans like "team of us". I think It comes across as a little bit insincere or forceful.

Comment

Originally posted by Mumhain View Post

Apologies, my original post was poorly phrased. As opposed to writing "played once", I meant to write "started once".

I think the general point still stands, though. Was there really a need to play Rory Best for 80 minutes against Scotland? Was there really a need to start him against Samoa, as well?

When Dave Kilcoyne is in such good form, why not rest Cian Healy against Samoa?

Why take Beirne off, instead of Stander (when you plan on starting the latter), in the match against Samoa? Beirne didn't appear to have an injury, so I can't understand this one.

I think most people, with a username other than "In Joe we trust", would think that a lot of these decisions were examples of poor squad management. Joe Schmidt is still a world class coach, but he makes mistakes like every other coach in world rugby.
          The use of Stander instead of Ruddock for the Samoa game is downright criminal. The Japan game turned when Carty made the insane decision to kick pass to Earls instead of going for the corner at a point in the game where Ireland were bossing Japan around the pitch. After botching that game, Schmidt had to go for max points, and in his mind that means playing your best guys b/c he doesn't "trust" the rest of the squad. When Farrell takes over I hope he gets the word out that every place is up for grabs. Every last one. you want to keep your spot, you have to earn it b/c the next guy up is going to get his shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post
            “Rob’s awesome positional sense” is the new version of “Rob’s ability to organise the defence” which went out the window a while back.

He covers the back field. Grand.

Not sure he does it so much better than the alternatives that it offsets his inferior tackling, pace and ability to create. Just saying.

We’ll need him to wind the clock back here and contribute more, because we can’t carry a passenger in attack.
            I have a feeling that's why Toner was left out; Schmidt knows he couldn't carry two. Kearney can still give you something now and again, Toner just doesn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Oldschoolsocks View Post

Sorry WS, but you’ve gone full Stockholm now
              The Swedes are useless at rugby.

Comment

In OSS' book, turnips are even worser.

Comment

Originally posted by Finnegan79 View Post

The use of Stander instead of Ruddock for the Samoa game is downright criminal. The Japan game turned when Carty made the insane decision to kick pass to Earls instead of going for the corner at a point in the game where Ireland were bossing Japan around the pitch. After botching that game, Schmidt had to go for max points, and in his mind that means playing your best guys b/c he doesn't "trust" the rest of the squad. When Farrell takes over I hope he gets the word out that every place is up for grabs. Every last one. you want to keep your spot, you have to earn it b/c the next guy up is going to get his shot.
                  The playing of CJ against Samoa was because the alternative eight was injured in Conan, the replacement for him Jordi Murphy was injured and also Rhys Ruddock was injured.

its not a conspiracy.

Comment

Good points and it is a fair bit better in Munster, but there are still some areas(particularly in Cork) where people would love nothing more than an Irish loss. I don't think the IRFU help themselves with slogans like "team of us". I think It comes across as a little bit insincere or forceful.
                    The core rugby support is still, I suspect, relatively small- but there are plenty of people prepared to go along and cheer a winning team. Over the last 20 years Irish (provincial) rugby has been remarkably successful- by any standards, let alone Irish club /national standards ( soccer in Europe? Closest might be hockey)- and you would hope that success would have converted more to core / rather than camp following support. Maybe we imagine that Ireland should dominate the way Leinster/Munster have, and when they don’t the marginal support follows another camp, part in puzzlement, part in search of another more dependable good time. It’s also possible that the dreadful 6N, hammering by England, also weakened this core support. The Scotland game might have ignited it, but the japan will have dampened it again. Some of the core, in Munster, and perhaps also in Leinster, prefer supporting their province to the national team- and that’s not helped by spats over who should have gone to japan, and who shouldn’t (media outrage over Toner). The players and management deserve the nations support, and have that of most of us here, despite differences of opinion about how it might have gone better. Cmon Ireland, I hope we hear Athenry Molly and Stand up bellowed out tomorrow, and swell with pride.

Comment

absolute codswallop imho!!

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

Stronger than Norway and Denmark
                        Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

Cmon Ireland, I hope we hear Athenry Molly and Stand up bellowed out tomorrow
                          Ah here - it's already bad enough that Ireland's Bawl prompts our lads to reflect on the pointlessness of all endeavour.
                          Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Some Irish people like other Irish people to do poorly. There will always be those who want the soccer team to lose, the rugby team and attack Irish athletes (remember the abuse Sonia O’Sullivan got...). It’s sad but that always the case - the rugby haters had to suck it up when we were going well so that pent up frustration is now getting the better of them.

It’s flat because matches are at the wrong time of day and we haven’t had an epic win like in 2011 and 2015, and rugby world cups go on way too long. However the match on Sunday will be the second most watched sporting occasion of the year after the All Ireland football final.

If we win on Saturday the bandwagon will be massive though.

The idea though that some rugby people prefer their province than the national team is sad. The whole point of our game is the national team, it’s the only team that is still representative, that sits on top of the pyramid. The idea that professional teams without a representative core would be preferred is a triumph of marketing.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabb1tts Jump View Post

The idea though that some rugby people prefer their province than the national team is sad. The whole point of our game is the national team, it’s the only team that is still representative, that sits on top of the pyramid. The idea that professional teams without a representative core would be preferred is a triumph of marketing.
                              I think it is not sad. It is natural - for a lot of people, Irish games are not accessible - it is very expensive even if you can get a ticket which many people can’t. There is not the same link with the Irish team. Even Heaslip was saying last week that it is a colder atmosphere for the players.

But you can for instance have an associate membership of the MRSC which allows you to go to a big game in TP for 30 euros or less, that gives you access to a bar where you will see players (past and present), people may have neighbours on the team or see the players in their normal everyday life.

Plus - for a long long time in Irish rugby, there was clear discrimination against Munster teams. That legacy is still there although I don’t think it is the case anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Finnegan79 View Post

I have a feeling that's why Toner was left out; Schmidt knows he couldn't carry two. Kearney can still give you something now and again, Toner just doesn't.
                                Wouldn't have made a difference if Toner travelled or not.
                                Kleyn hasn't featured much, he's there in case of injury to one of the other locks.

Comment

Working...
                                X