No announcement yet.

The quarter final thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

“Rob’s awesome positional sense” is the new version of “Rob’s ability to organise the defence” which went out the window a while back.

He covers the back field. Grand.

Not sure he does it so much better than the alternatives that it offsets his inferior tackling, pace and ability to create. Just saying.

We’ll need him to wind the clock back here and contribute more, because we can’t carry a passenger in attack.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffy View Post

I don't like it and he's not the only reasonable option.
      He is quite a predictable plodder who can't tackle or use the ball in attack and has lost his big left boot.
      Watch the ABs run around him.
      I fervently hope that I am wrong.
      I hope you are wrong too. But if covering the back field means getting close to but rarely tackling decisively (let’s not even mention technique), or when you field the ball no longer getting the prodigious yards from your kick that you did a few years ago, then he is the ideal choice. I really have nothing against the guy, he was an outstanding player- but he no longer is, even in terms of what he was good at, and the game has moved on in terms of what is required of a FB.

Comment

Originally posted by The Last Stand View Post

Completely correct - indeed the other teams all live in Japan and play in the same conditions every week.

We don’t have excuses this time. Our key players are fit, we had 9 days and 7 days breaks between the Russian, Samoan and this game. The weather will not be too adverse on Saturday.
        Well done on the sarcasm, Ireland are not alone in this respect (except age), England France and Wales have similar challenges. On the other hand, AB SA and Oz have time zones and 4- 16 hours flights for any away game they play. All of the NH quarter finalists have away games in the same time zone and, flying time of 2 hours max. Quite simply The three SH quarterfinalists that are away from home, are used to preparing players and managing recovery in a way that NH is not. Adjusting is also harder for older players. If you imagine this is all BS, then look at the investment made in the US in teams (football, baseball, ice hockey, basket ball) that regularly play fixtures on opposite coasts.

All that said, I agree with you, we have no excuses, we selected the players we did for this tournament, we conditioned them in the way we thought best and have managed game time and recovery to the best of our knowledge/ability/understanding. Having no excuses does not mean we did things well, or right. For example,
        just how much data did we collect when they players went to Japan last year on how well each man adapted and recovers? Did any of this affect how we selected or prepared individual players before they went?

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

Well done on the sarcasm, Ireland are not alone in this respect (except age), England France and Wales have similar challenges. On the other hand, AB SA and Oz have time zones and 4- 16 hours flights for any away game they play. All of the NH quarter finalists have away games in the same time zone and, flying time of 2 hours max. Quite simply The three SH quarterfinalists that are away from home, are used to preparing players and managing recovery in a way that NH is not. Adjusting is also harder for older players. If you imagine this is all BS, then look at the investment made in the US in teams (football, baseball, ice hockey, basket ball) that regularly play fixtures on opposite coasts.

All that said, I agree with you, we have no excuses, we selected the players we did for this tournament, we conditioned them in the way we thought best and have managed game time and recovery to the best of our knowledge/ability/understanding. Having no excuses does not mean we did things well, or right. For example,
          just how much data did we collect when they players went to Japan last year on how well each man adapted and recovers? Did any of this affect how we selected or prepared individual players before they went?
          Agree with a lot of that. Bottom line is that except for the hosts all teams at a World Cup are in an artificial environment - a counter argument is that the only comparison these days is a Lions tour...

I think we agree though on my main point . If they fail to perform on Saturday they (coaches and players) cannot blame anyone except themselves. If we perform and lose against the Blacks then we will look back to the Japan game and wonder what might have been. But we could win....

Comment

Can't see Beauden or anyone else kicking the ball up in the air with Bobert underneath it

Can see Joe Moody lifting Porter up in the scrum and flicking him back on his hole

The most unconvincing 12 months under Joe boil down to this Saturday morning, a win in Japan surpasses everything they've ever done together, everything.

I'm ****ed if I can see where that win is going to manifest from :)

Can't see us scoring tries, def can't see us clawing back a lead greater than about 4 points.

If the kiwis rattle in an early try and go 5-7-10 we haven't the cattle.

It's not even like the Munster good old days when you felt we hadn't a hope but knew the lads would just rock the world anyway and see what happened. It doesn't feel like a crusade, it doesn't really feel like the nation is foursquare behind them and I can't figure out why. I hope Joe let's them go to the well this week and get them pumped, let the emotion in

If we are going out, go out proud. HON IRELAND
            I am the million man.

Comment

The lads just need to think of thriller during the haka
              "Some people don't know their easy lives... I wouldn't be so ungrateful" - Fiacre Ryan - #AutismAndMe

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post

It's not even like the Munster good old days when you felt we hadn't a hope but knew the lads would just rock the world anyway and see what happened. It doesn't feel like a crusade, it doesn't really feel like the nation is foursquare behind them and I can't figure out why. I hope Joe let's them go to the well this week and get them pumped, let the emotion in

Its an interesting point. I feel the emotion has gone out of our game in the last while. You look at Twickenham in 2018 and against NZ in Chicago and Dublin and it was there.

Maybe the Japanese game has hit supporters confidence. Maybe the media are tired too and not enjoying Japan - I have sympathy as I would much prefer to spend a month going around France, NZ or Australia.

or perhaps after failed campaigns in 2007, 2011 and 2015 we are fatigued with the whole thing...
                Last edited by The Last Stand; 17th-October-2019, 20:07.

Comment

Originally posted by Miguel Sanchez View Post
                  Bookies have NZ @ 1/7. We are rank outsiders.
                  That's moved out from 1/3or 1/4 earlier in the week. Now afaik all that's 'changed' since is the announcements of both teams....

Do the bookies think Schmidt's selection is so piss poor that it halves Ireland's odds of winning!?!
                  Last edited by Daithi; 17th-October-2019, 21:02.

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

Originally posted by The Last Stand View Post

or perhaps after failed campaigns in 2007, 2011 and 2015 we are fatigued with the whole thing...
                    Yeah, there is an element of weariness in that regard - sort of a sense of inevitability.

And yet. We'd never beaten New Zealand before - came close a few times, sometimes agonisingly close, but just never managed it. Until we did.

I've no logical basis for thinking we'll make it out of a quarter final this time round, especially with certain selection issues that we've already discussed (whether for this specific game, for the squad in general or in terms of the uneven approach to workload management of certain players).

And yet. Somehow, part of me still hopes that somehow, in spite of it all, we might, somehow, pull a rabbit out of a hat - along with a golden-egg-laying goose, a crock of gold and some magic beans for good measure.

It'll take an awful lot of somehow. To coin a phrase - it's not the despair ...
                    Tis but a scratch.

Comment

“It is the cold reality at this stage of a World Cup. Ireland know what it is like to go home at this stage, as I do, and they will be doing their darnedest to ensure it does not happen again. So will we. I just hope that it is an exciting game of rugby that is not affected by cards and that at the end of it no one has any excuses, taking defeat on the chin

Very interesting. Great propaganda speech. ”We have a full All black side, being forced to leave out great players. Ireland always go out at the 1/4 final stage. It is the natural order of things. If as a referee you find yourself presiding over such an event, you should question whether your actions have contributed to this anomaly. If we should lose, It will likely be because some ref has given one( or more) of our players a card.” (Obviously undeserved)Therefore in the interests of ensuring our continuing participation in the games, we should not get a card. Video images of high tackles in previous games (like Henshaw) are to be discounted. If we go behind and start roughing players up (which we have never done before) that is OK.
                      Under no circumstances should the images of Bundee Aki tackling a player (for which he was deemed to merit a red card), be taken into account when assessing sanction on any of our players, until after the after the result is decided. Retrospective bans after the game are fine as we have the aforementioned strength in depth, allowing for RWC face saving afterwards should Ireland be unsporting enough to support a citing.
                      Mind you, we seem to have them a bit rattled

Comment

Re, above I’m hoping one of the rugby news sites picks this comment up under the headline. ‘Hansen appeals for no cards in Ireland game.’ And Joe gets his already very clean players cleaner than clean.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
                          Can't see Beauden or anyone else kicking the ball up in the air with Bobert underneath it

Can see Joe Moody lifting Porter up in the scrum and flicking him back on his hole

The most unconvincing 12 months under Joe boil down to this Saturday morning, a win in Japan surpasses everything they've ever done together, everything.

I'm ****ed if I can see where that win is going to manifest from :)

Can't see us scoring tries, def can't see us clawing back a lead greater than about 4 points.

If the kiwis rattle in an early try and go 5-7-10 we haven't the cattle.

I don’t think Joe will have much to say ahead of this. Andy Farrell might have a hard word or two, but otherwise they’ll let the lads to it. They’ll get well primed for this by themselves knowing that, for many of them, this is the last shot at greatness, and nobody is really giving them a hope.

I expect a big game from the pack. There’s not one of them won’t turn up for this one. People say POM is out of form but, come kick off, he’ll have that face on him that bodes well for us and badly for any fecker that lays a hand on his ball at the breakdown. Hendo will have one of his big games too, and James Ryan might just show the world his full potential.

If the big fellas can get on top, who knows what Murray and Sexton can orchestrate behind them?

Gwan Ireland!

Comment

Originally posted by Mumhain View Post

Apologies, my original post was poorly phrased. As opposed to writing "played once", I meant to write "started once".

I think the general point still stands, though. Was there really a need to play Rory Best for 80 minutes against Scotland? Was there really a need to start him against Samoa, as well?

When Dave Kilcoyne is in such good form, why not rest Cian Healy against Samoa?

Why take Beirne off, instead of Stander (when you plan on starting the latter), in the match against Samoa? Beirne didn't appear to have an injury, so I can't understand this one.

I think most people, with a username other than "In Joe we trust", would think that a lot of these decisions were examples of poor squad management. Joe Schmidt is still a world class coach, but he makes mistakes like every other coach in world rugby.
                            Best played 80 mins against Scotland (Scannell had to play due to injuries and with over 20min to go was our only sub). If he didn't start against Samoa he would have been 3 weeks without a start against the All Blacks which is not good.

Killer had more game time than Healy before the Samoa game and again do you think a 3 week break would have done Healy good?

Comment

After their respective performances in the groups, I was sure Larmour had to be chosen ahead of Kearney's. The only real risk in Schmidt's team (and it's a conservative one). At least he's on the bench - if Aki was available I assume he'd have him or Ronger on the bench instead.

Comment

Originally posted by In Joe we trust View Post

Best played 80 mins against Scotland (Scannell had to play due to injuries and with over 20min to go was our only sub). If he didn't start against Samoa he would have been 3 weeks without a start against the All Blacks which is not good.

Killer had more game time than Healy before the Samoa game and again do you think a 3 week break would have done Healy good?

Healy and Best have regularly come into big international matches or Heniken cup matches, after three week gaps. In fact, we have been doing this for years and nobody has complained about it (bar the English/Welsh, who view it as an unfair advantage for Ireland). I don't see why you have such a big issue with it now and I certainly don't understand why you would rather have a 37-year old Rory Best potentially starting 4 matches in a row.
                                Last edited by Mumhain; 18th-October-2019, 01:48.

Comment

Working...
                                X