Ireland v Samoa 12/10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

I’m excited about an attack-minded coach like Catt coming in. He has a good crop of players to work with. Plenty of skilful young lads coming through.

I think we’ll see more heads-up rugby in future. The provinces are all moving in that direction too. There’ll be no more Joebots.
    Had completely forgotten about Catt coming in- and agree that changes the outlook considerably. There are also some good coaches in the provinces he might listen to. I’d still advocate retiring some players after the WC and planning the retirement of others, rather than seeing whether we can somehow manage to get formerly top class players to the next RWC.

Comment

TEAM

Ireland: Jordan Larmour, Keith Earls, Robbie Henshaw, Bundee Aki, Jacob Stockdale Johnny Sexton, Conor Murray; Cian Healy, Rory Best (capt), Tadhg Furlong, Iain Henderson, James Ryan, Tadhg Beirne, Josh van der Flier, CJ Stander

Replacements: Niall Scannell, Dave Kilcoyne, Andrew Porter, Jean Kleyn, Peter O'Mahony, Luke McGrath, Joey Carbery, Andrew Conway

Comment

This has all the signs of a ‘last hurrah’ approach to this final fixture and the quarter final.

Larmour is simply not as good a (stand in) 15 as Conway, but he plays, presumably keeping the spot warm for Kearney in the quarters. Playing our likely starting 9/10 and front five is very risky- and probably unnecessary- as with CJ and VdF.

So so we play a team our second string ought to beat, while our QF opponents have a longer rest. If the Japan game is cancelled, we don’t even need to win (a LBP would do). Madness.

Comment

Would tend to agree with you Jag, playing Sexton vs Samoa seems mental to me as does playing a pretty much first choice pack. Where is Ruddock?
          \"Only Pienaar, Botha and Ferris would be in contention for a place on our first 15. That\'s a fact.\" - Tickettout\'s take on Ulster April 2011.

Comment

Originally posted by Talking Sense View Post
            Would tend to agree with you Jag, playing Sexton vs Samoa seems mental to me as does playing a pretty much first choice pack. Where is Ruddock?
            Same old Joe. For all his talk of learning from the last RWC and developing depth, when the chips are down he falls back on his first XV. Resting POM by putting him on the bench is his token nod to player management.

Playing CJ again is just madness. How is he supposed to keep delivering the ridiculous amount asked of him every game without a break?

It’s fecking Samoa. We couldn’t rest a few lads with NZ coming over the horizon?

Comment

Yup, totally agree three Jay, TS & MB.

Worse: The Irish management know only too well that over playing players in the group has previously led to huge dips in performance in the Quarters at previous world cups e.g. RWC 15, 11, 03, etc,etc,

Yet, here we go again, the Irish have just written off any chance they had in the quarters imho (if they weren't already beaten!?)

Stupid, really fuppin stupid actually. Oh yeah they'll qualify securely with a 60 pt win this game versus a 30 point win say, but our 1st 15 will be flogged in high humidity, 7 days before playing SA, with even less time to work on moves & plays with a fresh 1st XV (&23) behind closed doors. (ALL OF WHICH THEY REALLY, REALLY NEEDED) Ireland's world cup is now definitely over next match, and by an embarrassing margin also I'd wager. Absolutely no excuse for this lack of ambition imho, none!!!

P.s. the players will also see this for the complete cop out it is imho. They are pros, they know when another pro (I.e. the coach) hasn't backed them. Woejus!!!
              Last edited by Daithi; 10th-October-2019, 09:44.

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

Originally posted by Talking Sense View Post

Sexton had a rest against Japan, the game that we lost so now joe has to ensure he plays so that we get 5 points.

Comment

I’m guessing a few lads in the squad are fuming. I’m sure fellas like Killer knew they were unlikely to start the big games but they must have thought they’d at least get another run against the likes of Samoa.

Theoretically, if Joe still has ambitions of winning the thing, these lads are now expected to start up to four matches in a row against Samoa, NZ, England and SA. Good luck Rory!

Comment

Originally posted by lawrence View Post

Sexton had a rest against Japan, the game that we lost so now joe Thinks He has to ensure he plays so that we get 5 points.
                    Corrected that for you!

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post
                      TEAM

Ireland: Jordan Larmour, Keith Earls, Robbie Henshaw, Bundee Aki, Jacob Stockdale Johnny Sexton, Conor Murray; Cian Healy, Rory Best (capt), Tadhg Furlong, Iain Henderson, James Ryan, Tadhg Beirne, Josh van der Flier, CJ Stander

Replacements: Niall Scannell, Dave Kilcoyne, Andrew Porter, Jean Kleyn, Peter O'Mahony, Luke McGrath, Joey Carbery, Andrew Conway

Very hard to comprehend this selection given the weather situation and potential impact on the other games. NZ have extra recovery time now before the QF. Samoa are a poor side and our squad should have enough depth to deal with them without flogging the ever presents. Good to see Henshaw starting. Hopefully, he comes through without any issues. A good performance and some confidence going into the QF would be nice

Comment

Originally posted by lawrence View Post

Sexton had a rest against Japan, the game that we lost so now joe has to ensure he plays so that we get 5 points.
                        I don't have too much of an issue with Sexton playing for at least a half. Yes, there's the risk he'll get injured, but he badly needs game time so not playing him is a risk too.

The biggest issue for me is the lack of rotation up front. To have a shot next week we'll need to give it absolutely everything, and guys like CJ and Ryan are just being flogged.

Comment

Yeah, Ryan looked spent , against Russia ffs!!
                          And the front row: they couldn't overpower a Japanese scrum in the heat 2nd game on the hop, having been good game one.
                          Killer, Scannell & Porter/Ryan are the extremely able back up , who imho are just as good, so wtf not use them!?

(Bigger heavier men take longer to recover, and oh yeah, Rory best is 37 & Healy no spring chicken either).

Not rotating them, Ryan, CJ, Murray = dumb & dumber!!

P.s. THIS IS JOE SCHMIDT'S WORST IRISH SELECTION EVER IMHO.
                          Last edited by Daithi; 10th-October-2019, 11:03.

Comment

The loss to Japan is forcing our hand I think. It was a complete disaster for our campaign. Joe now has to go full bore with a view to achieving a big result against Samoa.

He'll empty the bench if we're 4 tries up and out of sight I'd imagine.
                            Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
                            Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Originally posted by Miguel Sanchez View Post
                              The loss to Japan is forcing our hand I think. It was a complete disaster for our campaign. Joe now has to go full bore with a view to achieving a big result against Samoa.

He'll empty the bench if we're 4 tries up and out of sight I'd imagine.
                              It’s a pity he didn’t employ that tactic against japan.

Comment

Originally posted by Daithi View Post

Corrected that for you!
                                I would agree with him. Carthy is not at the level and Carbery is rusty and may not last. He either starts Sexton and puts the game to bed, or being a him on to rescue it if needs be.

anyway, Sexton has played F all and needs gametime.

Comment

Working...
                                X