No announcement yet.

Ireland v Samoa 12/10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe its jsut me but from the evidence of the Group games so far I don't see how Samoa are more or less a physical side than Japan or Scotland. I think this pyhsicality stuff is cliche driven nonsense to be honest, like saying which French team is going to show up. They may have been physical in the past and may well be in the future but in 2019 I don't see any evidence of them being an overly physical unit. Bigger issues for me are thier fitness and poor tackle technique. Hoepfully the type of fresher conditions that Scotland got today will see us get a morale boosting big win.

Comment

Interestingly the bookies have Scotland favourites to win the games but make Japan favourites to go trough which suggests there will be very little in it

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Snrub View Post

I don't mean to rip into Carty - I think he's done everything that one would expect of him. Did some great things against Japan. But the preference appears to be to select Sexton at whatever percentage of fitness he's at even if he has to come off at half time to ice himself.
        No, didn't think you were. There is very obviously a pecking order, any mins of Sexton, whether or not he can place kick is better than more minutes of Joey and both are preferable to unlimited Carty minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by TheRedRoar94 View Post
          Interestingly the bookies have Scotland favourites to win the games but make Japan favourites to go trough which suggests there will be very little in it
          Hedging bets??

Comment

I wonder how much a factor the 4 day turnaround will be for Scotland. Even if it was a run in the park.

Comment

Originally posted by Yatenga View Post
              I wonder how much a factor the 4 day turnaround will be for Scotland. Even if it was a run in the park.
              Dont think it will be too bad for them to be honest. They made 14 changes to their team that played Samoa so not many that started today will feature against Japan.

Comment

Originally posted by Real ale Madrid View Post
                Maybe its jsut me but from the evidence of the Group games so far I don't see how Samoa are more or less a physical side than Japan or Scotland. I think this pyhsicality stuff is cliche driven nonsense to be honest, like saying which French team is going to show up. They may have been physical in the past and may well be in the future but in 2019 I don't see any evidence of them being an overly physical unit. Bigger issues for me are thier fitness and poor tackle technique. Hoepfully the type of fresher conditions that Scotland got today will see us get a morale boosting big win.
                They are big boys and hard tacklers but you’re right. These days our lads are pretty much as big - look at guys like Henshaw, Farrell and Stockdale - and the tackle laws are putting a dampener on their enthusiasm for taking lads’ heads off.

If we control the game from half-back, we’ll win comfortably enough. If we get too loose, we’ll deliver another scrappy performance )but I think we’ll still win).

Comment

Originally posted by TheRedRoar94 View Post
                  Does this mean they expect a 4-1 or 5-2 result to Scotland?

I feel this RWC has slipped away from Ireland. I think we have really struggled in the heat tif. Not qualifying from our group remains a real threat. Have a bit of a bad feeling about it. Hope I’m wrong. I Would settle for qualification and honourable 6 pt loss to NZ in the quarters now if offered.
                  Farrell starts in a difficult place post World Cup, wonder if he’ll stay and, if he does, will he be any good?

Comment

Originally posted by reded View Post

I feel this RWC has slipped away from Ireland. I think we have really struggled in the heat tif. Not qualifying from our group remains a real threat. Have a bit of a bad feeling about it. Hope I’m wrong. I Would settle for qualification and honourable 6 pt loss to NZ in the quarters now if offered.
                    Farrell starts in a difficult place post World Cup, wonder if he’ll stay and, if he does, will he be any good?
                    I think the head to head for Scots and japan makes our life much easier- and the fact that our final game is against a team already out- so I wouldn’t worry about qualification.

That at said I agree with your ‘this RWC has slipped away from Ireland’- I think it began to a fair while before we set off for Japan. Our (at very best) patchy year didn’t hide from a team out of form, but a team that is out of time (and sussed out), in terms of getting to the next level. On their form over the last 12 months, how many world class players do we really have? I wonder if you picked a team from this group how many we would have starting- let alone the tournament as a whole. This is true, and will be even if we were to squeeze past the QF, fabulous as that would be.

I am not sure about Farrell- I cannot see him develop a more effective playing style, but then it feels as though Joe pretty much determines everything. One positive is that without Joe, Farrell will presumably be more open in terms of selection and possible provincial bias. I wish him all the best, but I worry that we make that decision too quickly, is he really the coach for one of the top 4? Teams in the world? We need to rebuild, from the ground up, after this WC, for the next one, starting with the six nations. Only those with a reasonable prospect of playing in the next WC should be considered- harsh as that might seem.

Comment

The forecast for Saturday is a high of 22 degrees so certainly moving in the right direction.

Comment

The weather is much cooler now and the humidity is right down. We’ve only lost one game so it’s not a write off yet. A decent performance at the weekend and then a good crack at NZ a week later and who knows?

I actually think Farrell has nothing to worry about. Our defensive record is excellent this tournament, so his reputation is intact, and a poor RWC lowers the bar for him. Imagine taking over a team that won the fecking thing! The only way would be down!

Comment

I believe they expect the 4-1. That would be Japan finishing on 15pts and Scotland on 14.

I dont see it going that way though. We have all seen big scores being run up when teams need to score tries thinking back to the final round of games in 2015 six nations. Scotland in a very difficult position of not only having to win the game but either win it by more then 7 or else score 4 tries. They could start getting desperate and cough up points.

We are defiantly in the best position out of the 3. Samoa have 2 lads missing through suspension and a good few injuries too. Think winning the quarter final will be a stretch too far for us given the way things have panned out but I hope I am wrong. Especially given the fact that All blacks can put out B team vs Italy & Springboks are finished their pool games they have a massive rest.
                          Last edited by TheRedRoar94; 9th-October-2019, 20:35.

Comment

I'd say Farrell will be a refreshing change for the squad.

I reckon the Schmidt school teacher way of interacting with players could be draining after a while. It sounds like they find it hard to relax around him. For instance it's often said he is big on players performing in training so its constant pressure. His style of play also means the players have to be very programmed so is a viscous circle.
                            ​​​​

Farrell has hired Mike Catt as his attack coach. Italy are not much good but they do (try to) play some nice free flowing rugby. Whether it's successful or not remains to be seen but it looks like Farrell will not try to copy Schmidt but do his own thing.

​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by dropkick View Post
                              I'd say Farrell will be a refreshing change for the squad.

I reckon the Schmidt school teacher way of interacting with players could be draining after a while. It sounds like they find it hard to relax around him. For instance it's often said he is big on players performing in training so its constant pressure. His style of play also means the players have to be very programmed so is a viscous circle.
                              ​​​​

Farrell has hired Mike Catt as his attack coach. Italy are not much good but they do (try to) play some nice free flowing rugby. Whether it's successful or not remains to be seen but it looks like Farrell will not try to copy Schmidt but do his own thing.

​​​​​
                              I’m excited about an attack-minded coach like Catt coming in. He has a good crop of players to work with. Plenty of skilful young lads coming through.

I think we’ll see more heads-up rugby in future. The provinces are all moving in that direction too. There’ll be no more Joebots.

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

I’m excited about an attack-minded coach like Catt coming in. He has a good crop of players to work with. Plenty of skilful young lads coming through.

I think we’ll see more heads-up rugby in future. The provinces are all moving in that direction too. There’ll be no more Joebots.
                                Agree. Ireland has done well under Schmidt, but I am a little fed up watching the play by numbers game plan and the obvious reluctance of players to express themselves on the pitch for fear of the consequences. I think the team could do quite well with a little loosening up, and a bit more of player-directed decision making. If this is to happen I still think we need a couple (or at least one) of smart, pacy, footballing midfielders.
                                Erse end of nowhere

Comment

Working...
                                X