Ireland v Samoa 12/10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mumhain View Post
    Impressive performance with 14 men, but there are still far too many question marks around the game plan and form of key personnel, to be confident about next week. Some of the questions I'd have are:

(A) Who starts at loosehead? Healy wasn't overly impressive in his scrummaging or his loose play today. There has been a noticeable difference in the strength of the Irish scrum every time Kilcoyne has comes on and his loose-play (particularly defense) has been considerably better.

(B) Does Best start two games in a row (potentially four in a row if Ireland get to a final)? Best worked really hard tonight, but I'd still worry about his lack of power and throwing against better packs. Samoa picked a really heavy second row and I don't think they competed for any of the Irish line-outs.

(C) Is Henderson's form good enough to start? Aside from one carry against Scotland, his carrying has been pretty static over the last 12 months. He made 0 metres from 8 carries today. I thought Beirne and Kleyn were more dynamic in their play.

(D) Do you reward Ruddock's good form with a start? He has been Ireland's form player over the last 2 months. Along with Ryan, he has been the only player who has consistently been able to get gain line, carrying into heavy traffic. His defense has also been dominant. After Stander's performance today, he will start at 8. I'd like to see O'Mahony at 7 with Ruddock at 6.

(E) Has Henshaw fully-recovered? He will be better for the game, but he looked a little rusty to me and Farrell will give you more aggression in defense?

(F) Larmour's flair or Kearney's high ball solidity?

I suspect a lot of the above questions above might be answered by who wins tomorrow. The Springboks play a relatively simple game (particularly in attack), but they can't be allowed dominate the gain line or else they will crush you. Ireland will have to add more aggression and speed to their defensive line. Kilcoyne and Ruddock are Ireland's most dominant tacklers and Farrell is a more aggressive tackler than Henshaw. Likewise, Kleyn could be favoured over Henderson, due to his extra power.

If it's New Zealand, Joe might opt for the extra speed and handling of Van Der Flier, Henderson and Henshaw.
    Ruddock is Ireland’s form player over the last two months?

He played 25 mins against Japan and a game against Russia. He didn’t play against Scotland and didn’t start the last warm up game against Wales. Really struggling to see how you can make that claim.

He’s good, and he’s physical, but would I start him ahead of POM, VdF or even Beirne after today’s display? Doubtful. Bench at best I’d say.

Comment

Originally posted by Dowlinz View Post
      Kearney surely has no place in this team anymore? Larmour and his counter attacking threat from kicks is offering us so much more, it'd be insane to revert to a 15 who opposition feel safe to kick to with no risk whatsoever.
      Even Cummiskey agrees. He had quite a cut off Joe in the IT today. Says that “rugby by Schmidt numbers” doesn’t work anymore.

His gushing over Larmour would make you a bit queasy mind. I’d say he typed it one-handed.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardP View Post
        McGrath has been dire since he came on
        Cannot understand his choice over Marmion - Marmion was exceellent against the ABs in our win in Dublin, really cool and decisive. Recall D4 rugby writers telling us 5 years ago that Murray better enjoy his Ireland caps while he could because McGrath was coming - less of a drop down from CM to KM.

Comment

Originally posted by canine View Post
          How CJ didnt get motm is quite boggling ,Larmour was good but CJ was incessant
          Mind the spuds, Ahane. (Limerickism)

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Mumhain View Post
              Impressive performance with 14 men, but there are still far too many question marks around the game plan and form of key personnel, to be confident about next week. Some of the questions I'd have are:

(A) Who starts at loosehead? Healy wasn't overly impressive in his scrummaging or his loose play today. There has been a noticeable difference in the strength of the Irish scrum every time Kilcoyne has comes on and his loose-play (particularly defense) has been considerably better.

(B) Does Best start two games in a row (potentially four in a row if Ireland get to a final)? Best worked really hard tonight, but I'd still worry about his lack of power and throwing against better packs. Samoa picked a really heavy second row and I don't think they competed for any of the Irish line-outs.

(C) Is Henderson's form good enough to start? Aside from one carry against Scotland, his carrying has been pretty static over the last 12 months. He made 0 metres from 8 carries today. I thought Beirne and Kleyn were more dynamic in their play.

(D) Do you reward Ruddock's good form with a start? He has been Ireland's form player over the last 2 months. Along with Ryan, he has been the only player who has consistently been able to get gain line, carrying into heavy traffic. His defense has also been dominant. After Stander's performance today, he will start at 8. I'd like to see O'Mahony at 7 with Ruddock at 6.

(E) Has Henshaw fully-recovered? He will be better for the game, but he looked a little rusty to me and Farrell will give you more aggression in defense?

(F) Larmour's flair or Kearney's high ball solidity?

I suspect a lot of the above questions above might be answered by who wins tomorrow. The Springboks play a relatively simple game (particularly in attack), but they can't be allowed dominate the gain line or else they will crush you. Ireland will have to add more aggression and speed to their defensive line. Kilcoyne and Ruddock are Ireland's most dominant tacklers and Farrell is a more aggressive tackler than Henshaw. Likewise, Kleyn could be favoured over Henderson, due to his extra power.

If it's New Zealand, Joe might opt for the extra speed and handling of Van Der Flier, Henderson and Henshaw.
              VdF had a great game today. He was all over the pitch, tackled like a demon and carried hard. He's our only natural 7, our fastest flanker, and has a great engine on him. He's getting better with every game. I would not like to see him dropped for POM, who has not been that great.

Erse end of nowhere

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffy View Post

VdF had a great game today. He was all over the pitch, tackled like a demon and carried hard. He's our only natural 7, our fastest flanker, and has a great engine on him. He's getting better with every game. I would not like to see him dropped for POM, who has not been that great.
                There was a great balance to the Ruddock, POM and CJ backrow, VDF would be an outstanding player to come off the bench, but the bench would be a harsh call as he has been excellent. I guess it all depends on what Schmidt wants and who we’ll be playing. POM was good in the Scotland game but went off injured, poor, like the entire team against Japan, excellent against Russia and did well when he came off the bench today. POM will deliver in the QF, he is a big game player. It’s one thing to do well against Russia, it’s another thing entirely to do it against the AB’s. The more minutes POM plays the better he gets. I can see a backrow of Ruddock (for the physicality), POM, CJ v South Africa or POM, VDF, CJ against the AB’s. But time will tell.
                Last edited by Stringer9; 12th-October-2019, 19:02.
                The Maul is Back!! LONG LIVE THE MAUL!!

Stringer is bigger even than his own immense shadow. Pound for pound, he is the best tackler in the world. If you put him into bag of cats he\'d come out without a scratch. He was hit very late for Murphy\'s try. And when he got up, as we knew he would, the crowd cried his name as if he had just fixed the economy.Billy Keane-After Munster\'s famous loss to the AB\'s.

The Bull-Truly irreplaceable, a mountain of a man. 100 caps!!

Comment

That was a heartening performance. We really controlled the game with 14 men and I felt we looked to have more energy to in the second half compared to other games, we really struggled in the humidity.
                  We are in with a chance next week, if all our big players perform it’ll be an exciting game

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
                    My position is fairly straightforward, this is supposed to be the pinnacle of the sport, yet the competition is now sending sides into the quarter finals without playing the full schedule of games. The competition is giving half of the 1/4 finalists (potentially) a weeks more rest to prep for the same quarter finals than other sides.

The competition is using pitches where the Irish players could bury a ball under the turf in the captains run. The competition is being played in typhoon season in a nation which has already seen a life taken by a typhoon this weekend.

You want to grow the great, so do I. Dont grow the game through looking like the worst setup competition in the professional era, its a shame.

Grow the game by playing it in places that wont see typhoons during the pool stages (this can still be japan). The optics of this particular RWC so far for me, have been disorganisation and poor planning. Thats not the pinnacle of the sport.

Tier 1 nations have all those abilities, climate & pitches to achieve that (right now). Japan this weekend does not.
                    what you said earlier doesnt tally with your belief in growing the game. Timing of tournament considering typhoons is poor but that blame can only be put on world rugby and main unions irfu etc who make up world rugby as they have power to make changes to calender.
                    some of the other world cups had very sloppy mistakes as well.
                    I dont see overall this tournament as being poorly organised anyway
                    everything wont always run perfectly in a new market but that doesnt mean we dont go to these options. You have to or you have a closed off elite and **** all else. Rugby has to stop looking inward and embrace new markets even if there is some/many/plenty teething problems

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

Ruddock is Ireland’s form player over the last two months?

He played 25 mins against Japan and a game against Russia. He didn’t play against Scotland and didn’t start the last warm up game against Wales. Really struggling to see how you can make that claim.

He’s good, and he’s physical, but would I start him ahead of POM, VdF or even Beirne after today’s display? Doubtful. Bench at best I’d say.
                      I'm making the claim that Ruddock has been Ireland's most in form player over the past two months, not that he has been Ireland's most capped player over that period. He played and captained Ireland against Italy in the opening world cup warm up match and was one of the only Irish players to emerge with credit. He then made a massive impact off the bench against Wales in Dublin. He followed that up with dominant displays against both Scotland ( off the bench) and Russia. Bar maybe Kilcoyne, I don't think anyway else can say they have played as consistently well during the world cup and the warm-up fixtures. Even James Ryan, by his high standards, had an off-day against Japan.

Comment

Firstly the good:-

- Ireland put away Samoa with a good bp win
                        - the performance was better, more like they looked v Scotland
                        -Sexton & Murray both looked fit & played well
                        - Ireland had the wherewithal to persevere with 14 men for much of the match & still win well

Now the cons:-

- JS started his preferred top side where available, against an exiting minnow side with nothing to play for, because he was stressing over getting out of this very weak group
                        - he even said as much in his match interview (1 week at a time, only concerned with this,etc.)
                        - he chose to not start more of his squadies, particularly in the most attritional positions with the likely toughest recovery e.g @ 1,2 & 3(?)& 8 in particular. Opportunity missed imho & He'd great options to use too!!
                        - Samoa were really weak, undisciplined, disjointed, coughing up errors, they were simply crap!
                        - In stark contrast Ireland's opposition next weekend are going to be 1 of the 2 best sides in the world, with either 12 or 14 days lead in to the QF (i.e. perfect preparation)
                        - They'vewatched Ireland today making notes how to beat them
                        - They'll train first thing Monday, fresh as daisies, ready to send Ireland home....

P.s. long version of my take in the next post (sorry ;) )
                        Last edited by Daithi; 12th-October-2019, 21:46.

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

I'm a huge JS fan in general, but he should have used more of his squad today imho.
                          Kilcoyne & Scannell should defo have started imho, they're as good & better than the incumbents anyway, also Porter or Ryan at 3 possibly.
                          Finally, if intending to start CJ next weekend, & not Beirne, then he should have subbed CJ off after 60 today. (instead he subbed off Beirne).

Both sides Ireland can face next weekend are better, but they'll also be far better rested, unfortunately. It was up to the coach to select squad players where possible today to mitigate this disadvantage, while still delivering the bp win. Pity that he didn't trust his squadies enough imho, & as a result Ireland will be say 5 to 1 to win next weekend, versus say 3 to 1 I.e. his safety first approach has reduced Ireland's chances of a QF win by about 50% imho. That's a world of a difference, unfortunately.

I hope I'm proved wrong &/or too pessimistic ...and that Ireland take down a fresh, razor sharp NZ or SA.....We'll see!!!
                          Last edited by Daithi; 12th-October-2019, 21:50.

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

Two tries conceded in 4 games....
                            I believe we're well capable of winning next weekend and Joe then ticks the semi-final reached box but don't think that selection and tactics have helped towards progressing beyond that. I'd love to be proved wrong, I've a feeling we've been worked for the past month to play three top test teams on consecutive weekends starting next Sat/Sunday.
                            Gwan Ireland!
                            Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Really decent performance by Ireland, with our strongest side out. I thought all of the starters did well, some excellently, as someone said above CJ was immense, really looked a world class player today. Murray was right on the money- laser like pass and vision created at least two tries. Jonny played as well has he has done in ages. Hard to know what Larmour was like at FB, rarely had to defend. Really strong performances off the bench by All the Munster lads when they came on. McGrath, alas, was way below par. AKis red was deserved, and predictable, shame for the guy, and Ireland to lose him for the rest of the tournament- would have been wiser not to select him for this one, but the point about selection has already been made. Delighted for Ireland and the players, let’s hope they can pull it out again next week.

Comment

The annoying thing here is that typical Joe and ireland we’ve kept the old man at 15 for so long that the kid hasn’t had a tonne of intl game time there yet and when we face our biggest game and it’s now obvious who should get picked we find ourselves in a sort of “throwing him in” scenario which could easily have been avoided had we had the foresight to back him after his performance in Aus. I’m reminded of Eng when Heaslip went down and Pom was motm, more poor selection from Joe.
                                \"Only Pienaar, Botha and Ferris would be in contention for a place on our first 15. That\'s a fact.\" - Tickettout\'s take on Ulster April 2011.

Comment

Working...
                                X