Ireland v Samoa 12/10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dowlinz View Post

Really sad to hear that sort of closed attitude. The sport needs more countries making the step up to the highest level and opportunities to spread the game should be encouraged at every turn unless you enjoy playing the same handful of teams year after year.
    I'm all for spreading the word, but that doesn't excuse Japan for how they actually run the competition. Also, one of the reasons they got it was money (what's the bet Argentina don't get 2027 - my guess is the US does)

I will say that Japan seem to have taken well to rugby so I'm fine that they got the RWC, but they're not immune to criticism.

Comment

Originally posted by blueberry View Post

I'm all for spreading the word, but that doesn't excuse Japan for how they actually run the competition. Also, one of the reasons they got it was money (what's the bet Argentina don't get 2027 - my guess is the US does)

I will say that Japan seem to have taken well to rugby so I'm fine that they got the RWC, but they're not immune to criticism.
      what exactly have the Japanese done wrong. Most if not all major issues have been from world rugby side of things no?

Comment

Originally posted by ormond lad View Post
        what exactly have the Japanese done wrong. Most if not all major issues have been from world rugby side of things no?
        Tbf, one issue, Japan could have managed better was the turf in the stadia. The grasses have not been done well enough for long enough to render good, reliable playing surfaces apparently.

Now people may say 'but the weather this, and the weather that...' but that's exactly why you have redundancy & contingency arrangements in place ,&/or switches over to semi or synthetic pitches in high risk venues, etc..

Ireland's (v Samoa) pitch this am is supposed to be downright dangerous, as is Scotland 's v Japan, and one of NZ's pitches also iirc. Now if we lost Murray due ankle ligaments on a box kick on a sh1tty surface, we'd be spitting fire.....

P.s. though i suppose true to form Joe would cover it up after anyways, & still pick him for the next group match versus a minnow so we'd think Ireland were alright ..... ;)
        Last edited by Daithi; 12th-October-2019, 07:51.

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

My position is fairly straightforward, this is supposed to be the pinnacle of the sport, yet the competition is now sending sides into the quarter finals without playing the full schedule of games. The competition is giving half of the 1/4 finalists (potentially) a weeks more rest to prep for the same quarter finals than other sides.

The competition is using pitches where the Irish players could bury a ball under the turf in the captains run. The competition is being played in typhoon season in a nation which has already seen a life taken by a typhoon this weekend.

You want to grow the great, so do I. Dont grow the game through looking like the worst setup competition in the professional era, its a shame.

Grow the game by playing it in places that wont see typhoons during the pool stages (this can still be japan). The optics of this particular RWC so far for me, have been disorganisation and poor planning. Thats not the pinnacle of the sport.

Tier 1 nations have all those abilities, climate & pitches to achieve that (right now). Japan this weekend does not.
          I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Yatenga View Post

Agree with the first sentence. Not any of the rest. That kind of viewpoint is what has held rugby back to be an insular, closed shop played at a top level in only a handful of countries
            I dont want to be watching World Cups final between NZ and South Africa or England or Oz in my dotage

Very little of this is on Japan. World Rugby could have had a real contingency plan. They could have scheduled the thing a few weeks later.
            I don’t know what the share of responsibility is between world rugby and the hosts. Inevitably it must be a balance between the two. Despite the climate challenges, time difference etc, I was delighted when japan got the World Cup- and really looked forward to it. As it has unfolded, it has been a disappointment (refereeing, uneven gaps between games, cancellations because of poor contingency planning, dodgy pitch surfaces being replaced between games, and - most of all- seeing Ireland s real level exposed). However, the answer to most of this (Ireland aside), is not to rotate the World Cup around some of the 6N, SA, NZ and Oz, but for world rugby to make the RWC the pinnacle it should be, schedule it properly, and ensure that wherever it is held (and I’d like Ireland, Argentina, etc etc to have the opportunity) it is properly planned and delivered. They (RW and hosts) are now in danger of having left the sport down.
            Last edited by jagawayagain; 12th-October-2019, 08:56.

Comment

Having a look at the path of Hagibis surely our game with Samoa is going to be in pretty horrific conditions also (anyone on site able to confirm/deny). Clearly the tournament should not have been played in Japan at this time of year, however if this is the worst storm since 1958, where over a thousand people died it seems a bit strange/unsavoury for our game to be going ahead while hundreds of people are being killed up the road?
              Last edited by DABOSS; 12th-October-2019, 08:50.

Comment

Originally posted by Daithi View Post

I'm not saying that Irish Internationals can't play 2 weekends in a row, they certainly can, they just can't play as well I.e what I'm clearly saying is that : players can't recover fully in 7 days in these conditions.

This was so clearly demonstrated versus Japan that even a joebot could comprehend it e.g. Best was out on his feet & his lineouts were crap AGAIN, (v Japan ffs!!), Henderson wasn't as lively as he was v Scotland, neither Healy, Furlong, nor CJ, etc,etc,etc

This was accentuated further versus Russia just 5 days later, where Joe's top players who played were often running to a standstill.

This coach is now in cautious lock down mode to protect his own legacy imho. If he had any smart ambition & balls left for his team, he'd have started his squadies v Samoa. But no , he's written off his top XV's recovery time to try to ensure winning the group.

As a result Ireland will lose by at least 15points plus versus SA,
                And by 20 points plus v ABs imho. These sides are better but crucially will be much better rested. A lethal double advantage that the coach is doing nothing to mitigate.
                (instead Ireland will probably be short 1/2 front liners through avoidable injuries, and crucial guys carrying chronic injuries such as Sexton & Murray will be even more crocked)

This coach has settled for a quarter final exit, I know that, he must know that but worst of all, his players will know that also.
                Pathetic!!!!
                Seriously are you saying Healy/Furlong can't play well 7 days later after playing 49 mins in a game against Scotland but that Killer/Porter would be better after playing 31 mins (ie an 18 min difference in playing time is so material)? CJ wasn't as effective because in the Scotland game he mainly played at 6 and Conan played at 8 which gave an extra ball carrier in the backrow and also the front 5 in the Scotland match were totally on top.

Against Russia which top players were running to a standstill as nearly all of them weren't playing or were playing due to injuries to other players.

If you look at the mins played - Ringrose is tops (due to injuries to Henshaw, Aki, Farrell), CJ is 2nd (injuries to Conan/Murphy), Conway has played joint 3rd most mins, Killer has played most mins of the props, Carthy most mins at O/H, McGrath has played nearly as many mins as Murray. Only Ringrose/CJ have played more than 160 mins over 3 games.

Comment

Gwan Ireland
                  Gwan Joe!!

Comment

4 tries and a win. No matter how. That's the contract.
                    The Scots (originally Irish, but by now Scotch) were at this time inhabiting Ireland, having driven the Irish (Picts) out of Scotland; while the Picts (originally Scots) were now Irish (living in brackets) and vice versa. It is essential to keep these distinctions clearly in mind (and verce visa).

Comment

The Samoans are huge.

Comment

Big hits from them all day. Injury count will be key, I think we'll get the tries needed.

Comment

Gwan ireland!

Comment

There's the first one ... or maybe not? TMO intervening. Ref overrules, try stands.
                            Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Bizarre intervention from the TMO. That was textbook.

Comment

Tmo doesn't seem to like us. No need for all that.

Comment

Working...
                                X