X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jagawayagain
    replied
    Originally posted by Talking Sense View Post

LOL!! You are hilarious dude, I love that you keep coming back for a nibble! Falling over the line doesnt mean hes adding anything in attack which is the issue that people have, no worries though.
    I think it’s just ground bait. Unfortunately we’re the ones who nibble. I’m delighted for Rob- genuinely- an Indian summer with a typhoon approaching.

Leave a comment:

• Talking Sense
    replied
    Originally posted by In Joe we trust View Post
    It's funny that everyone wanted Rob Kearney dropped and a large part was due to not scoring tries. Now that we are struggling to score people still want him dropped even after scoring tries in 3 consecutive games.
    LOL!! You are hilarious dude, I love that you keep coming back for a nibble! Falling over the line doesnt mean hes adding anything in attack which is the issue that people have, no worries though.

Leave a comment:

• Spiffy
    replied
    It's funny that everyone wanted Rob Kearney dropped and a large part was due to not scoring tries. Now that we are struggling to score people still want him dropped even after scoring tries in 3 consecutive games.
    No - the reason people wanted him dropped was poor tackling; inability to use the ball in attack by constantly running straight at the nearest defender and going to ground; the waste of overlaps; the loss of his big left boot; and the lack of real pace. The scoring of a couple of soft tries does not compensate for that.

Leave a comment:

• Daithi
    replied
    Dude you've got that one wrong....again.

It's not that I want Rob K dropped, per se, it's just I want better players picked in his place.
    (Rob K in his day was world class tbf)

E.g. Conway & Larmour both now clearly offer Ireland more at 15 imho, as does Carbery when fit!!

P.p.s it's similar to the last RWC, where all through the group stages Zebo was quite clearly the superior player over Dave Kearney on the wing. However JS persisted with the younger Kearney on the wing, until he was clearly targeted, & wickedly found out in the QF v Argentina.

IIRC it was at least 2 tries scored directly down his wing that fateful day, with another few 30+ metre clear line breaks through his channel just for good measure, with Kearney beag all at sea throughout. It was actually embarrassing. A shame for an earnest player, but also sadly predictable.....imho.
    Last edited by Daithi; 8th-October-2019, 08:27.

Leave a comment:

• ustix
    replied
    Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

Would have been very interesting to have the RWC a year ago, hard to think of a single player in the squad who is better now than they were then. It is a team, and a staff, in decline- the Farrell appointment is interesting in that light- will he offer more, than Joe does? That’s not to say a QF isn’t a decent outcome, it is, and who know we might magic our way beyond that. There was a time, a couple of years ago that the hopes (crazy as they were) were
    higher. No one is that crazy now.
    Speak for yourself jag, Joey is yet to career into space outside Jonty

Leave a comment:

• Waterfordlad
    replied
    Originally posted by ustix View Post

Dhera, he's a fine try-scorer
    So’s his brutha

Leave a comment:

• ustix
    replied
    Dhera, he's a fine try-scorer

Leave a comment:

• In Joe we trust
    replied

Leave a comment:

• The Last Stand
    replied
    Originally posted by Yatenga View Post

I wouldnt have cited the England game if it had been a narrow win or loss. A record defeat to England (over 150 years) even in a warm up game cant be ignored in the bigger picture. I'd suggest the Wales games could be.
    I think its pretty clear we are in a tough place right now and confidence is low, form is poor. Its a tough place and some of the gambles made (bringing Carbery, not replacing Henshaw dont appear to be working out, at least not yet. Some of the ongoing issues (not finding an option to Best at #2, or Kearney at #15) have not gone away. We can turn it round but turning it round looks increasingly like limping into a QF and hoping for a big game on the day rather than the master plan to try to win the whole thing.
    Do you think I can pick up a ticket for the quarters?

Leave a comment:

• Yatenga
    replied
    Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

If you’re gonna cite the England warm up game then you shouldn’t ignore the two good wins against Wales in the warm ups for our second and first choice sides respectively. That last Welsh game was a full blooded affair and we won well. The form picture is not as bad as you selectively present it.

People are, for example, also overlooking the fact that our hugely important first choice halfback pairing has only played 56 minutes together, and that was in the good win over Scotland.

We could see a bit more from them yet.
    I wouldnt have cited the England game if it had been a narrow win or loss. A record defeat to England (over 150 years) even in a warm up game cant be ignored in the bigger picture. I'd suggest the Wales games could be.
    I think its pretty clear we are in a tough place right now and confidence is low, form is poor. Its a tough place and some of the gambles made (bringing Carbery, not replacing Henshaw dont appear to be working out, at least not yet. Some of the ongoing issues (not finding an option to Best at #2, or Kearney at #15) have not gone away. We can turn it round but turning it round looks increasingly like limping into a QF and hoping for a big game on the day rather than the master plan to try to win the whole thing.

Leave a comment:

• barryfitz87
    replied
    Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

Would have been very interesting to have the RWC a year ago, hard to think of a single player in the squad who is better now than they were then. It is a team, and a staff, in decline- the Farrell appointment is interesting in that light- will he offer more, than Joe does? That’s not to say a QF isn’t a decent outcome, it is, and who know we might magic our way beyond that. There was a time, a couple of years ago that the hopes (crazy as they were) were
    Unfortunately it very much looks like we peaked a year out from the World Cup. I don't think making a quarter final is a good outcome as this is supposed to be the strongest squad that Ireland has ever had coming into a World Cup. Unfortunately very few of the players in it are playing as well as they did in the Autumn Internationals last year.

Leave a comment:

• Waterfordlad
    replied
    I hope the Scots aren’t thinking “..and send them homeward...”

Leave a comment:

• jagawayagain
    replied

If the Japan game was an outlier I'd agree with you but it wasnt. Terribly disappointing 6 Nations with pretty comprehensive losses to England and Wales, & a right thrashing from England in the warm ups. The game that looks like the outlier was the first outing v Scotland and any boost to morale from that is now gone. Most of the signs point to a team and coaching staff in decline.

Leave a comment:

• Munsterboy
    replied

If the Japan game was an outlier I'd agree with you but it wasnt. Terribly disappointing 6 Nations with pretty comprehensive losses to England and Wales, & a right thrashing from England in the warm ups. The game that looks like the outlier was the first outing v Scotland and any boost to morale from that is now gone. Most of the signs point to a team and coaching staff in decline.
    If you’re gonna cite the England warm up game then you shouldn’t ignore the two good wins against Wales in the warm ups for our second and first choice sides respectively. That last Welsh game was a full blooded affair and we won well. The form picture is not as bad as you selectively present it.

People are, for example, also overlooking the fact that our hugely important first choice halfback pairing has only played 56 minutes together, and that was in the good win over Scotland.

We could see a bit more from them yet.

Leave a comment:

• Yatenga
    replied
    Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

I know memories fade but we were atrocious in 2007.

We made hard work of the bonus point against Russia but we still put five tries on them and never gave them a look in. Back then we were almost losing those games against the minnows and the whole camp was in melt down. This team is still in a much better place.

I think there’s been a massive over-reaction to the loss against Japan to be honest. Every error is now being scrutinised and seized upon as evidence of impending disaster.

We’ll beat Samoa and, if we can keep/get the key men fit and fresh for the QF, I think we’ll give it a good go.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X