Ireland v Russia 3/10 11.15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kahalui View Post
    Joe comments on Ireland training with the Cobe Steelers...
    'it was a relatively young Steelers side... they didn't have their big overseas stars... the energy that they brought, not only that, but they counter rucked us a few times and gave us a big old bashing'.
    That's encouraging, sounds just what we needed.

Comment

Originally posted by kahalui View Post
      Joe comments on Ireland training with the Cobe Steelers...
      'it was a relatively young Steelers side... they didn't have their big overseas stars... the energy that they brought, not only that, but they counter rucked us a few times and gave us a big old bashing'.
      I find this startling.

We were out on our feet 3 days ago, and having a bashing today!!!
      Our warm up game against England showed fatigue / over training.
      the Squad trained fully the Thursday before losing to Japan. Did nobody check the weather forecast?

Are we playing our best rugby in the days leading up to the games?
      Are they not taking the heat and humidity into account at all?

Surely anyone who played last Saturday should be doing no contact and very light work if they are to be involved this week.

And before anyone says it, I know nothing about preparation for professional athletes, or the loading they have at different times, what they can and can’t take and how a team like this prepares for games, it just strikes me that there is a massive level of overtraining.

Comment

Originally posted by Sulla View Post

Doesn't Johnny have some beef with Garces?
        It seems so. I think he reffed England v Ireland in this year's 6Nations...

Comment

Was that the time that Sexton said something like "I know you don't like me, but you have to talk to me because I'm the captain"?
          Tis but a scratch.

Comment

If POM was pissing off refs then imagine Johnny

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

I think we went with 3 OHs because two had injury problems. That said, Cooney was released very early, which still seems strange given his versatility, and his excellent form this year. I wonder if he did something to piss off Joe because he seemed like the ideal cover for both positions.

I think we got the back row/lock balance right. Most attritional position on the pitch and quick ruck ball is so crucial to our game.

The reality is that squads should be a little larger, especially given the short turnarounds between some games. Teams shouldn't have to choose between having three SHs or three OHs, or have only five players to cover three of the most injury-prone positions on the pitch.

35 players seems right to me. Two full teams plus a third LHP, THP, hooker, SH and OH.
              I read somewhere the other day (can't remember where) that Joe is not that fond of Cooney because he plays what's in front of him, off the cuff, and does not stick to the rigid game plan. To me, that's his strength, and it's worked well for Ulster.

Erse end of nowhere

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffy View Post

I read somewhere the other day (can't remember where) that Joe is not that fond of Cooney because he plays what's in front of him, off the cuff, and does not stick to the rigid game plan. To me, that's his strength, and it's worked well for Ulster.
                I've seen it on comments/forums but I think that's just the standard narrative attached to anyone Joe doesn't like given Joes preference for structure. I'd consider both Marmion and McGrath to be more off-the-cuff players, and I think Cooney may have just been a perfect match for Ulster without being outstanding in his own right (an experienced placekicking scrum half with a style not too dissimilar to Pienars). He's 29 and only made a name for himself in the last 18 months or so, so I think yes he's good, but just good. I still find the Marmion omission harder to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by blueberry View Post

I've seen it on comments/forums but I think that's just the standard narrative attached to anyone Joe doesn't like given Joes preference for structure. I'd consider both Marmion and McGrath to be more off-the-cuff players, and I think Cooney may have just been a perfect match for Ulster without being outstanding in his own right (an experienced placekicking scrum half with a style not too dissimilar to Pienars). He's 29 and only made a name for himself in the last 18 months or so, so I think yes he's good, but just good. I still find the Marmion omission harder to understand.
                  I certainly agree with that. Marmion has always done well for Ireland and I didn't see anything in his game that justified his omission.
                  Erse end of nowhere

Comment

Originally posted by mr chips View Post
                    Was that the time that Sexton said something like "I know you don't like me, but you have to talk to me because I'm the captain"?
                    Joe Schmidt says World Rugby have confirmed to Ireland that referee Angus Gardner got three penalty calls wrong in Ireland's loss to Japan in Shizuoka on Saturday.

The Ireland coach had expressed concerns about Gardner before the game, citing his handling of the Wales-Ireland game in March's Six Nations clash in Cardiff, and was quick to refer to the officiating in the aftermath of the Japan defeat.

While also paying tribute to Japan, Schmidt pointed to a number of "very tough" offside calls his team, indicating his players were frustrated in real time and saying "it's not too dissimilar to the last time we had this referee."

Ireland have since sought clarification on a few matters and Schmidt says they've received confirmation from the governing body that three of the four offside calls given against Ireland were "incorrect".

However, it emerged that two of those incorrect calls came from assistant referee Jerome Garces who is officiating Ireland's third pool game against Russia on Thursday.

"We certainly learned that we're capable. In that first 20 minutes, to be 12-3 up, I think we demonstrated that. We did put ourselves on the back foot - and partly went onto the back foot.

"We were penalised for offside four times and we've now got the feedback that three of those were incorrect calls. People were asking us about our discipline.

"It's pretty hard to keep getting off the line and onto the front foot when you are getting those calls. Two of them were from an AR (assistant referee - Jerome Garces) who is going to be refereeing us on Thursday, so we know we're going to have to be on our best behaviour.

"One thing I would say about this team is that they try to go out and deliver and, generally speaking, it's unusual for us to have a higher penalty count than our opponents. So it's frustrating.

"I thought Wayne [Barnes] did a super job (in Ireland v Scotland).

"I know that talking to Gregor, they (Scotland) were happy with how Wayne went in the first game as well. That's our fault if we were on the wrong side of the penalty count there but I do think we've got to try to look after that as best we can."

The Ireland coach reiterated his praise for the Japanese effort after coming back from an early deficit.

"We've got to make sure that we don't become passive in a game to an opposition that are playing in front of their home crowd. You'd have to be really impressed with the way Japan got themselves back into the game.

"If it wasn't us that lost the game, I'd say, 'Wow, that's fantastic for the tournament.' Everywhere we've gone, the Japanese people have been incredibly excited about the game.

"They're delighted with us, obviously, and I think loads of interest has been spiked by that."

Comment

It's a bit embarrassing to be still publicly talking about the referee. Whatever about supporters questioning decisions, if the team is serious about winning the world cup then there should be nothing short of 100% accountability for your own actions. No blaming others. No excuses. It was a bad loss. Learn from the mistakes and move on. I hope the leadership group within the squad are able to park the defeat and focus the minds on the task ahead. We are reasonably lucky with the fixture list. Happy enough with the team picked. Just hoping we can put on a clinical performance. The loss to Japan doesn't really change anything in the grand scheme of things. We are still on track to reach the QF and put it all on the line in a one off game against either SA or NZ.

Comment

Originally posted by Cozman06 View Post
                        It's a bit embarrassing to be still publicly talking about the referee. Whatever about supporters questioning decisions, if the team is serious about winning the world cup then there should be nothing short of 100% accountability for your own actions. No blaming others. No excuses. It was a bad loss. Learn from the mistakes and move on. I hope the leadership group within the squad are able to park the defeat and focus the minds on the task ahead. We are reasonably lucky with the fixture list. Happy enough with the team picked. Just hoping we can put on a clinical performance. The loss to Japan doesn't really change anything in the grand scheme of things. We are still on track to reach the QF and put it all on the line in a one off game against either SA or NZ.
                        I think that intervention was a warning to Garces. Plus also to world rugby on Gardner.

Comment

Originally posted by Cozman06 View Post
                          Nobody has ever won the world cup and lost a game at the world cup.

Joe going into retirement so he's not going to be available for awkward questions weeks and months after they're back from Japan.

I honestly think a semi final would be a momentous achievement for this side right now. The game has passed out our power game
                          I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by ormond lad View Post
                            Thing with having them out there is where do they go and train and what exactly can they do while there as they wouldnt have been able to do anything with the 31 once competition began be that be in same hotel, be near training.

In Canadian and American Professional Football they have what they call ‘Taxi squads’ - players who are on the payroll but not on the official roster. Ireland could well have done something like that and have those players engaged in tailored drills and fitness work in Japan so as to be ready if called upon. Obviously that would cost some money and require logistical support; likewise not every player in such a squad would be required to step into the Official Roster. Still, it would overcome the jet lag issue and the urgent need for a replacement going to Japan from Ireland. Irt’s Doable, not cheap, but missing one or two Pro14 games is a small thing in comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post

Nobody has ever won the world cup and lost a game at the world cup.

Joe going into retirement so he's not going to be available for awkward questions weeks and months after they're back from Japan.

I honestly think a semi final would be a momentous achievement for this side right now. The game has passed out our power game
                              The thing with the whole QF thing is if we're good enough to beat either SA or NZ, then we're good enough to beat whoever we would meet in a semi. So actually, just reaching a semi would be yet another opportunity lost, just as the QFs were in 11' and 15'.
                              "There are probably more annoying things than being hectored about African development by a wealthy Irish rock star in a cowboy hat, but I can't think of one at the moment"

Paul Theroux

Comment

Originally posted by busby View Post

The thing with the whole QF thing is if we're good enough to beat either SA or NZ, then we're good enough to beat whoever we would meet in a semi. So actually, just reaching a semi would be yet another opportunity lost, just as the QFs were in 11' and 15'.
                                It is not like this is a surprise. We are bad at world cups.

Comment

Working...
                                X