Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ireland v Russia 3/10 11.15

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #46
    Originally posted by i_like_cake View Post
    Probably a mistake. They had a few of those before in previous announcements. Just is the question whatever Carbery or Carty is incorrect.

    Comment


      #47
      That’s a strong side. 11 changes from the Japan game, which just shows how much depth we have.

      I have absolutely no doubt that the front five of the pack will deliver a strong performance. They’re all in good form, used to playing together, and fresh (which they’ll need to be in that sweat box of a stadium). Solid, experienced back row.

      Virtually a first choice back line out there too. No Murray or Stockdale but it’s akin to combinations we’ve put out in the 6Ns.

      Would prefer to see Larmour at FB. Can you imagine trying to defend against him, Earls and Conway?!

      Comment


        #48
        Originally posted by Chrizzzie View Post

        Probably a mistake. They had a few of those before in previous announcements. Just is the question whatever Carbery or Carty is incorrect.
        Nope, that’s what’s being reported and has been the plan in the event of an injury to Murray or McGrath. It’s Russia, we can cope.

        Comment


          #49
          Gorgeous Rob for the hat-trick?

          Comment


            #50
            Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

            Nope, that’s what’s being reported and has been the plan in the event of an injury to Murray or McGrath. It’s Russia, we can cope.
            It’s also what RTÉ have in their site, for what that’s worth. It still stirikes me as madness that we went to the WC with three out halves, two of whom have dubious fitness, and two SH, and left at home a guy who can capably cover both positions. While it’s very demanding, on players, I think we have one too many back rows.
            Last edited by jagawayagain; 1st-October-2019, 08:46.

            Comment


              #51
              Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post
              That’s a strong side. 11 changes from the Japan game, which just shows how much depth we have.

              I have absolutely no doubt that the front five of the pack will deliver a strong performance. They’re all in good form, used to playing together, and fresh (which they’ll need to be in that sweat box of a stadium). Solid, experienced back row.

              Virtually a first choice back line out there too. No Murray or Stockdale but it’s akin to combinations we’ve put out in the 6Ns.

              Would prefer to see Larmour at FB. Can you imagine trying to defend against him, Earls and Conway?!
              It is but there's more in that team that should have played against Japan. Is he essentially telling Larmour you'll go out against Samoa to mind RK for potential QF?!
              He's a guy who gets up at six o'clock in the morning regardless of what time it is.

              Comment


                #52
                Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

                It’s also what RTÉ have in their site, for what that’s worth. It still stirikes me as madness that we went to the WC with three out halves, two of whom have dubious fitness, and two SH, and left at home a guy who can capably cover both positions. While it’s very demanding, on players, I think we have one too many back rows.
                I think we went with 3 OHs because two had injury problems. That said, Cooney was released very early, which still seems strange given his versatility, and his excellent form this year. I wonder if he did something to piss off Joe because he seemed like the ideal cover for both positions.

                I think we got the back row/lock balance right. Most attritional position on the pitch and quick ruck ball is so crucial to our game.

                The reality is that squads should be a little larger, especially given the short turnarounds between some games. Teams shouldn't have to choose between having three SHs or three OHs, or have only five players to cover three of the most injury-prone positions on the pitch.

                35 players seems right to me. Two full teams plus a third LHP, THP, hooker, SH and OH.

                Comment


                  #53
                  Originally posted by redherring View Post

                  It is but there's more in that team that should have played against Japan. Is he essentially telling Larmour you'll go out against Samoa to mind RK for potential QF?!
                  Yeah, definitely should have had two or three of that pack starting the last game but that's been done to death at this stage.

                  Nobody but Rob was ever going to start the QF. Bar the centre partnership, the team for that game is nailed on, and has been for a long time.

                  Comment


                    #54
                    Originally posted by lawrence View Post

                    On a side note... been to Asia a few times but I’ve never been as far as Japan. Leaving the Thursday before the Samoa game for a late flight ex heathrow at 10pm, We land in Fukuoka on Friday night 8pm, the Samoa game is Saturday. What’s the best bet for dealing with the time changes? What do you mean about adjusting before leaving?
                    You won’t have a prob it’s no big deal , I fly Ireland to Australia every 3 weeks and return 4 days later. Usual stuff don’t drink on plane eat light meals drink gallons of water, try get a flight that lands at night go to bed and wake up early am and your into it


                    bit diff for jordi murphy obviously

                    Comment


                      #55
                      Originally posted by k974 View Post

                      You won’t have a prob it’s no big deal , I fly Ireland to Australia every 3 weeks and return 4 days later. Usual stuff don’t drink on plane eat light meals drink gallons of water, try get a flight that lands at night go to bed and wake up early am and your into it


                      bit diff for jordi murphy obviously
                      Don’t ever tell the kids that are out matching or you will have protesters outside your house.

                      Comment


                        #56
                        Graces is the ref, with Reynal & Pickerill on the touch.

                        Comment


                          #57
                          Originally posted by anno12 View Post
                          Graces is the ref, with Reynal & Pickerill on the touch.
                          Doesn't Johnny have some beef with Garces?
                          Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

                          Comment


                            #58
                            Originally posted by k974 View Post

                            You won’t have a prob it’s no big deal , I fly Ireland to Australia every 3 weeks and return 4 days later. Usual stuff don’t drink on plane eat light meals drink gallons of water, try get a flight that lands at night go to bed and wake up early am and your into it


                            bit diff for jordi murphy obviously
                            While for me I need to arrive in the morning, have a quick nap and will then adjust quickly. Different for everyone.

                            Comment


                              #59
                               

                              Comment


                                #60
                                Joe comments on Ireland training with the Cobe Steelers...
                                'it was a relatively young Steelers side... they didn't have their big overseas stars... the energy that they brought, not only that, but they counter rucked us a few times and gave us a big old bashing'.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X