Ireland v Russia 3/10 11.15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Talking Sense View Post
    I agree that jet lag is killer flying to Asia (done it many times) but its Russia and we have no choice. Id give Pom and VDF a half each at 7.
    It’s ok. Science has the solution.

https://www.newscientist.com/article...mster-jet-lag/

Could absolutely transform Soft J.

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

Gerry reckons CJ will go again at 8, which would mean Ruddock at 6 and Jordi at 7.
      Not good for CJ to play 3 games in 11 days. He played full 80 mins in first 2 games AFAIK
      "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Originally posted by Waterfordlad View Post

Not good for CJ to play 3 games in 11 days. He played full 80 mins in first 2 games AFAIK
        Yep, so did VdF. POM has played the fewest minutes but didn't look too energised in that second half against Japan either. Other option is to start Kleyn with Hendo or Ryan and put Beirne in the back row with Ruddock and Jordi. To be honest I think any of them will do a job against Russia and should then get a rest for Samoa.

Comment

Originally posted by Waterfordlad View Post

Conan is unlucky, but **** sake, tis why CJ turns up day after day, plays with broken bones on his face. Never shuns the **** carry, cleans up the bad ball. It's also why CJ is one of Ireland's leaders and talkers.

Conan hasn't done enough of that yet, for me. Hyped to the hilt

I am the million man.

Comment

I just know what the jet lag is like because I do that journey a lot. Can’t believe a lad who will only land in Japan on Sunday will be fully ready to train during the week and play international rugby on Thursday. But he’ll have to manage by the looks of it.

Personally I would have had Jordi, Marmion and possibly a utility back on standby out there rather than here.
            Thing with having them out there is where do they go and train and what exactly can they do while there as they wouldnt have been able to do anything with the 31 once competition began be that be in same hotel, be near training.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post

Conan is unlucky, but **** sake, tis why CJ turns up day after day, plays with broken bones on his face. Never shuns the **** carry, cleans up the bad ball. It's also why CJ is one of Ireland's leaders and talkers.

Conan hasn't done enough of that yet, for me. Hyped to the hilt
              Big time. CJ is ultimate warrior. willing to stand up again and again to do all thats necessary and asked of him. Conan doesnt for me show anything near enough of a desire to do all the crap stuff that your backrow has to do but isnt that glamorous

Comment

Originally posted by In Joe we trust View Post
                Changes required for this game anyway. Hopefully a team like this is put out

Killer, Scannell, Ryan, Kleyn, Beirne, Ruddock, POM, Jordi, McGrath, Sexton, Earl's, Aki, Henshaw, Earl's, Larmour - Healy, Cronin, Porter, Henderson, VDF, Murray, Carberry, Stockdale
                I'm hoping for a back five of Kleyn Ryan Beirne Ruddock and Jordi with Joey starting.
                Hendy on bench.
                Peter and Jonty in when and if required, Peter taking over the captaincy from Ryan.
                Porter and Furlong in on 50-55 mins.
                VDF Best CJ Healy Murray need a break
                Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Originally posted by ustix View Post

I'm hoping for a back five of Kleyn Ryan Beirne Ruddock and Jordi with Joey starting.
                  Hendy on bench.
                  Peter and Jonty in when and if required, Peter taking over the captaincy from Ryan.
                  Porter and Furlong in on 50-55 mins.
                  VDF Best CJ Healy Murray need a break
                  How can you think Ryan doesn't need a break though?

Comment

Yep, so did VdF. POM has played the fewest minutes but didn't look too energised in that second half against Japan either. Other option is to start Kleyn with Hendo or Ryan and put Beirne in the back row with Ruddock and Jordi. To be honest I think any of them will do a job against Russia and should then get a rest for Samoa.
                    All true. But I think that POM does need some game time to play himself into form. He has been a tad below par this tournament by his own high standards and his discipline has not been the best. Ireland need a fit and fully firing POM as a lineout nicker and general pest if they are to progress beyond the QFs. At the moment, Schmidt may no longer see him as an automatic starter in Ireland's best XV, though he wil certainly challenge strongly for a spot.
                    The Ireland backrow roster is not that well balanced. I would have liked to have seen see two genuine 7s, with pace and mobility, in the original 31. If VdF gets knackered Ireland will be up against it.

Erse end of nowhere

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffy View Post

All true. But I think that POM does need some game time to play himself into form. He has been a tad below par this tournament by his own high standards and his discipline has not been the best. Ireland need a fit and fully firing POM as a lineout nicker and general pest if they are to progress beyond the QFs. At the moment, Schmidt may no longer see him as an automatic starter in Ireland's best XV, though he wil certainly challenge strongly for a spot.
                      The Ireland backrow roster is not that well balanced. I would have liked to have seen see two genuine 7s, with pace and mobility, in the original 31. If VdF gets knackered Ireland will be up against it.

POM went well at 7 against Wales. Shame Conan’s injured because the CJ, Conan, POM combo was a nice alternative option to have.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffy View Post

I'm concerned too as to what happens if VdeF gets hurt. Peter to 7, I suppose. They'd
                        flog himself and CJ til they drop.
                        IJWT, methinks James Ryan is young and fit enough to lead against them Russkies for 40-50 mins but I guess we don't know who's carrying knocks and hangovers from the last day.
                        Last edited by ustix; 30th-September-2019, 22:21.
                        Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Team named for Thursday

1. Dave Kilcoyne
                          2. Niall Scannell
                          3. John Ryan
                          4. Tadhg Beirne
                          5. Jean Kleyn
                          6. Rhys Ruddock
                          7. Peter O'Mahony
                          8. Jordi Murphy
                          9. Luke McGrath
                          10. Johnny Sexton (capt.)
                          11. Keith Earls
                          12. Bundee Aki
                          13. Garry Ringrose
                          14. Andrew Conway
                          15. Rob Kearney

Bench:
                          16. Sean Cronin
                          17. Andrew Porter
                          18. Tadhg Furlong
                          19. Iain Henderson
                          20. CJ Stander
                          21. Joey Carbery
                          22. Jack Carty
                          23. Jordan Larmour
                          He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Comment

https://www.irishrugby.ie/2019/10/01...gainst-russia/

So Joey covering scrum half?
                            He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Comment

Must be a long time since Munster has the front five in a starting international pack (ok it is only Russia, and I’d imagine that for most of the pack starting this one means you are benching at best for the QF). Im glad we’re giving our 3rd SH a run out- and hope that Sexton comes through without incident. I hope Conway really nails this opportunity- the contrast will be interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by i_like_cake View Post
                                I believe that was the plan they left Ireland with.

Comment

Working...
                                X