Ireland v Russia 3/10 11.15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by canine View Post
    I would imagine the players that didnt make the trip are laughing their tits off and praying their phones dont ring
    No one is performing in that stadium which is by all accounts like playing in a steam oven.

While great to see a World Cup in a new country and I am sure it is a great experience - but the weather is having a bigger impact on this tournament than any in recent memory.

Comment

I didnt see the second half, and was happy enough at HT. Clearly wheels cam off a little in the second
      We rarely put big wins on weaker opponents
      Looks like we are going to have to start a very strong team v Samoa. After todays game its pretty apparent we will struggle to get a BP there,

By the way, and this is in no way a whine about how the WC has gone for us but the madness of RWC only allowing 31 man squads is apparent - how on earth can you expect teams to play 2 games in a week and give players a proper rest with only one backup. Rugby is a 23 man game now, and allowing for niggles etc. 31 players is simply not enough. 35-40 are needed. The sight of CJ having to come in for his 3rd game in 10/11 days! If they insist on only 31 they have to allow 7 days between games. If 5 team pools dont allow that then go to 4 team pools. Player welfare has to be #1.

Comment

Originally posted by Yatenga View Post
        I didnt see the second half, and was happy enough at HT. Clearly wheels cam off a little in the second
        We rarely put big wins on weaker opponents
        Looks like we are going to have to start a very strong team v Samoa. After todays game its pretty apparent we will struggle to get a BP there,

By the way, and this is in no way a whine about how the WC has gone for us but the madness of RWC only allowing 31 man squads is apparent - how on earth can you expect teams to play 2 games in a week and give players a proper rest with only one backup. Rugby is a 23 man game now, and allowing for niggles etc. 31 players is simply not enough. 35-40 are needed. The sight of CJ having to come in for his 3rd game in 10/11 days! If they insist on only 31 they have to allow 7 days between games. If 5 team pools dont allow that then go to 4 team pools. Player welfare has to be #1.
        I dont think you need to go to 40 but possibly expanding from 31 needs to be looked at. 4 team pools doesnt work with 20 teams in competition. And if you expand from 31 man squads you significantly help stronger unions who have deputy far more than aides ranked 14-20
        And 7 days between all games for everyone isnt needed. You could have 5 and 6 days for some games. Problem is TV coverage and using that to cover tournament and what earnings come from that and not having games in group stage for 3/4days every week and then pile up of games on others again isnt good for covering tournament

Comment

Originally posted by Talking Sense View Post

Why anyone would read Wummiskeys ratings is beyond me. To summarise its basically Leinster good, Munster bad.
          Exactly, he lowers the professional tone of a quality paper like the IT. Why they persist with his one-eyed drivel is beyond me. Maybe he does a lot of unseen work in the office?

Basicaly he gave all Leinster players a 7 or 8 rating, with exception of McGrath who got a 5.

Jordi and Bundee got a 4 and a 5, respectively.

Killer, who was praised repeatedly by RTE commentators, got a 5. JR and Niall S got 4s, Kleyn got a 3 ("Time for Toner?")
          POM 5, Tadgh B 6, Earls 6 and Conway a 7

By contrast Balls.ie gave Killer a 7, and Niall S & JR a 6 each. Jean Kleyn 6 and Tadgh B 8, etc.

"There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

Utterly disagree about Scannell- the lineout was solid throughout- sentiment aside there is no reason to pick Best in the QF
            Agree about Kleyn, but not about Ryan- he was very busy around the field and has curbed his capacity to do silly things.
            Agree about Larmour, Conway should start FB. with Larmour on the bench.
            Agree about Aki, he was in headless chicken mode today
            We lost one lineout early though and his performance was no better than Best's against Scotland and Russia were down a 2nd for for 20 mins of the game.

Comment

Ireland holding at 12/1 with PP for the RWC
              Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Originally posted by Waterfordlad View Post

Exactly, he lowers the professional tone of a quality paper like the IT. Why they persist with his one-eyed drivel is beyond me. Maybe he does a lot of unseen work in the office?

Basicaly he gave all Leinster players a 7 or 8 rating, with exception of McGrath who got a 5.

Jordi and Bundee got a 4 and a 5, respectively.

Killer, who was praised repeatedly by RTE commentators, got a 5. JR and Niall S got 4s, Kleyn got a 3 ("Time for Toner?")
                POM 5, Tadgh B 6, Earls 6 and Conway a 7

By contrast Balls.ie gave Killer a 7, and Niall S & JR a 6 each. Jean Kleyn 6 and Tadgh B 8, etc.

And he doesnt even have a good haircut!!
                I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by ormond lad View Post
                  I dont think you need to go to 40 but possibly expanding from 31 needs to be looked at. 4 team pools doesnt work with 20 teams in competition. And if you expand from 31 man squads you significantly help stronger unions who have deputy far more than aides ranked 14-20
                  And 7 days between all games for everyone isnt needed. You could have 5 and 6 days for some games. Problem is TV coverage and using that to cover tournament and what earnings come from that and not having games in group stage for 3/4days every week and then pile up of games on others again isnt good for covering tournament
                  something has to change....right now you have too few players, playing games too close together. RWC seem to want it every which way. And of course larger squads favor the stronger teams with more depth. Thats how it goes.

Comment

[QUOTE=Yatenga;n2578529]I didnt see the second half, and was happy enough at HT. Clearly wheels cam off a little in the second

I guess we dont actually need the BP v Samo to go through. A win of any kind will do. I expect Samoa will want to put up a big performance against us. And we dare not rest any of our key players.

Comment

[QUOTE=Yatenga;n2578536]
                      Originally posted by Yatenga View Post

I guess we dont actually need the BP v Samo to go through. A win of any kind will do. I expect Samoa will want to put up a big performance against us. And we dare not rest any of our key players.
                      Honestly I’d go with a fairly similar team. Took a while to get the fourth try but they were never in any trouble out there.

Playing a first string side is a bigger risk IMHO. The injuries, the fatigue etc.

Samoa are pretty loose. Scotland beat them handily.

Comment

Originally posted by In Joe we trust View Post

We lost one lineout early though and his performance was no better than Best's against Scotland and Russia were down a 2nd for for 20 mins of the game.
                        I'm not convinced that line out loss was the throw, but it might have been. It's the Best we saw against Japan that needs replaced.

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

I'm not convinced that line out loss was the throw, but it might have been. It's the Best we saw against Japan that needs replaced.
                          This is it in a nutshell. When Best is in form there isn't much between them. Scannell offers more physicality in collisions and Best offers more leadership. The issue is that Best has rarely put in two really consistent performances in a row, over the last 12 months. Would you trust him to put in three consistent performances in a row, in three knock-out games?

I think we could be reasonably confident that Scannell would deliver a consistent performance in all matches. He has been very solid in all his Irish performances to date and I can count on one hand the amount of bad days at the office he has had at Munster.

What also has to be factored in is that Best was throwing for Ryan, Henderson and O'Mahony, while Scannell was throwing for Beirne, Kleyn and O'Mahony against a Russian line-out that was competing far harder than Scotland did.

Comment

Originally posted by Mumhain View Post

This is it in a nutshell. When Best is in form there isn't much between them. Scannell offers more physicality in collisions and Best offers more leadership. The issue is that Best has rarely put in two really consistent performances in a row, over the last 12 months. Would you trust him to put in three consistent performances in a row, in three knock-out games?

I think we could be reasonably confident that Scannell would deliver a consistent performance in all matches. He has been very solid in all his Irish performances to date and I can count on one hand the amount of bad days at the office he has had at Munster.

What also has to be factored in is that Best was throwing for Ryan, Henderson and O'Mahony, while Scannell was throwing for Beirne, Kleyn and O'Mahony against a Russian line-out that was competing far harder than Scotland did.
                            Best is also better on the ground (gets as many turnovers as a good back row) but slower if caught defending in any space. I've read that Best is tops when it comes to scrummaging too.

Comment

Originally posted by blueberry View Post

Best is also better on the ground (gets as many turnovers as a good back row) but slower if caught defending in any space. I've read that Best is tops when it comes to scrummaging too.
                              Best in his prime, was world-class at the breakdown and a brilliant scrummager. I'm not sure he still has the same breakdown threat anymore, though. I can only recall him winning one breakdown turnover in the last 12 months. That was against Scotland and he probably should have been pinged for not supporting his own body weight and not releasing the tackler.

By all accounts Best is still a great scrummager, but Scannell would be equally renowned for his scrummaging. In Munster he was consistently picked over Marshall, due to his superior scrummaging.

Comment

Originally posted by ustix View Post
                                Ireland holding at 12/1 with PP for the RWC
                                Paddy hardly needs the donation.

Comment

Working...
                                X