Ireland v Russia 3/10 11.15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ireland v Russia 3/10 11.15

Changes required for this game anyway. Hopefully a team like this is put out

Killer, Scannell, Ryan, Kleyn, Beirne, Ruddock, POM, Jordi, McGrath, Sexton, Earl's, Aki, Henshaw, Earl's, Larmour - Healy, Cronin, Porter, Henderson, VDF, Murray, Carberry, Stockdale

Originally posted by In Joe we trust View Post

Killer, Scannell, Ryan, Kleyn, Beirne, Ruddock, POM, Jordi, McGrath, Sexton, Earl's, Aki, Henshaw, Earl's, Larmour - Healy, Cronin, Porter, Henderson, VDF, Murray, Carberry, Stockdale
    Earls is quality but even he can’t be at two places at once. Other than that I agree with the back line.

No question POM can start a third match in a row. He needs to be rested. VdF can start with Ruddock and Jordi.

Comment

Jordie is only getting off a plane after a 1 hour flight to London plus a 12 hour flight to Tokyo, followed by a taxi/train transfer to the team hotel, and then dealing with an 8 hour time difference. I don’t think he’ll be acclimatised that quickly
      "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

Earls is quality but even he can’t be at two places at once. Other than that I agree with the back line.

No question POM can start a third match in a row. He needs to be rested. VdF can start with Ruddock and Jordi.
        Meant Conway on the wing.

POM has played only about 75 min whilst VDF has played nearly 80 mins on both games so he needs more of a break I would think.

Comment

Originally posted by In Joe we trust View Post

I don’t think there’s anything to be gained from playing Sexton until QF, the risk to him is simply too great. Carbery needs a start and game time. Otherwise I would be delighted to see that side play. BUT my problem with this much rotation is that think we need to rest most of what we need for the QF against Samoa- 6 day turnaround is clearly too little for yesterday’s starters. This means you play some/ most of yesterday’s starters again against Russia, or play something like side you’ve selected above twice. This isn’t so crazy, as there’s a 9 day turnaround, but it means you’re not really playing these guys in the QF, and that you are starting playing those that aren’t in this 23 in the QF. That means I’d make a different selection for the next couple of games,

My starting QF would be Healy, Scannell, Furlong, Hendo, Ryan, POM, CJ, VdF, Murray, Sexton, Aki,
          Ringrose, Earls, Conway, Stockdale, with Killer, Cronin, Ryan, Beirne, Murphy, Larmour, McGrath, Carbery, so my selections for Russia and Samoa would seek to ensure maximum recuperation for all of the above. At some point, ie against Russia, I’d want Carbery to start- I’d also want game time in position for whoever is back up to Murray/McGrath- (is that Carbery? Any chance Carty or Conway or Ringrose could have a crack?).

Because of that, for Russia I’d go with Killer, Scannell, Ryan, Kleyn, Beirne, Ruddock, CJ, Jordi, McGrath, Carbery, Earls, Henshaw, Farrell, Larmour, Conway—-Healy, Best, Furlong, POM, VDF, Murray, Carty, Stockdale.

With the 23 for Samoa being Healy, Best, Porter, Hendo, Kleyn, Ruddock, Jordi, VDF, Mc Garth, Carty, Aki, Ringrose, Larmour, Kearney, Stockdale—Killer, Cronin, Ryan, Beirne, 3rd SH, Carbery, Farrell, Henshaw.

Last edited by jagawayagain; 29th-September-2019, 15:15.

Comment

Originally posted by Waterfordlad View Post
            Jordie is only getting off a plane after a 1 hour flight to London plus a 12 hour flight to Tokyo, followed by a taxi/train transfer to the team hotel, and then dealing with an 8 hour time difference. I don’t think he’ll be acclimatised that quickly
            He should have been on a flight as soon as the risk to Conan was known about. I actually thought the IRFU might have had a few of the key back up players “on holidays” in Japan.

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

I don’t think there’s anything to be gained from playing Sexton until QF, the risk to him is simply too great. Carbery needs a start and game time. Otherwise I would be delighted to see that side play. BUT my problem with this much rotation is that think we need to rest most of what we need for the QF against Samoa- 6 day turnaround is clearly too little for yesterday’s starters. This means you play some/ most of yesterday’s starters again against Russia, or play something like side you’ve selected above twice. This isn’t so crazy, as there’s a 9 day turnaround, but it means you’re not really playing these guys in the QF, and that you are starting playing those that aren’t in this 23 in the QF. That means I’d make a different selection for the next couple of games,

My starting QF would be Healy, Scannell, Furlong, Hendo, Ryan, POM, CJ, VdF, Murray, Sexton, Aki,
              Ringrose, Earls, Conway, Stockdale, with Killer, Cronin, Ryan, Beirne, Murphy, Larmour, McGrath, Carbery, so my selections for Russia and Samoa would seek to ensure maximum recuperation for all of the above. At some point, ie against Russia, I’d want Carbery to start- I’d also want game time in position for whoever is back up to Murray/McGrath- (is that Carbery? Any chance Carty or Conway or Ringrose could have a crack?).

Because of that, for Russia I’d go with Killer, Scannell, Ryan, Kleyn, Beirne, Ruddock, CJ, Jordi, McGrath, Carbery, Earls, Henshaw, Farrell, Larmour, Conway—-Healy, Best, Furlong, POM, VDF, Murray, Carty, Stockdale.

With the 23 for Samoa being Healy, Best, Porter, Hendo, Kleyn, Ruddock, Jordi, VDF, Mc Garth, Carty, Aki, Ringrose, Larmour, Kearney, Stockdale—Killer, Cronin, Ryan, Beirne, 3rd SH, Carbery, Farrell, Henshaw.
              Sexton not having played for a few weeks before a quarter was never going to happen. You dont want Sexton without any run out for those few weeks before such a big game especially now with loss to Japan we will be under even more pressure.

He should have been on a flight as soon as the risk to Conan was known about. I actually thought the IRFU might have had a few of the key back up players “on holidays” in Japan.
              Would never have happened. Players could be in Japan but cant have any contact with squad for training so what would be point. Far better to be training and playing here than being in Japan. No player even if in Japan could officially join squad for 48 hours any way even if they were staying in a hotel just down the road.

Comment

Originally posted by ormond lad View Post
                Sexton not having played for a few weeks before a quarter was never going to happen. You dont want Sexton without any run out for those few weeks before such a big game especially now with loss to Japan we will be under even more pressure.

Would never have happened. Players could be in Japan but cant have any contact with squad for training so what would be point. Far better to be training and playing here than being in Japan. No player even if in Japan could officially join squad for 48 hours any way even if they were staying in a hotel just down the road.
                Sexton had a fairly light pre tournament schedule,
                and wasn’t place kicking after 20 mins and went off after 50. I think it’s very unlikely that ‘any run out’ before the QF will make any difference to his fitness or timing, he is,
                unfortunately, on borrowed time and any game is a risk.

As to the comment about the delay in travel for replacement players, acclimatisation, jet lag recovery etc take time- far better to do that soonest possible, the body clock reset from the arrival time in Japan, not when the player joins up with the squad.

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

Sexton had a fairly light pre tournament schedule,
                  and wasn’t place kicking after 20 mins and went off after 50. I think it’s very unlikely that ‘any run out’ before the QF will make any difference to his fitness or timing, he is,
                  unfortunately, on borrowed time and any game is a risk.

As to the comment about the delay in travel for replacement players, acclimatisation, jet lag recovery etc take time- far better to do that soonest possible, the body clock reset from the arrival time in Japan, not when the player joins up with the squad.
                  Sexton did have light pre tournament schedule. Not playing again doesnt help him. We badly need to play into form for our biggest game of world cup we cant try hope he can turn up and play in a quarter off no game time at all. Playing anything will certainly be better than going in cold.

No players should have been in Japan unless part of 31. It would be waste otherwise. Yes there is acclimisation etc but when they would be on own and not able to have any contact with coaches, players what would be point.

Comment

Originally posted by ormond lad View Post

The point is jet lag OL. I do a lot of travel to Asia for work and going west to east is a bitch. Takes about 5 days to adjust.

Jordi lands in Japan today. We play Russia on Thursday. He will really struggle to be ready. If he’d been nearby, he could join the team tomorrow, hit the ground running and play a full part in training for that game.

It’s not like he’s been playing regularly with Ulster over the past couple of weeks. He was on the bench for a pre-season game against Glasgow and that’s it.

Comment

The point is jet lag OL. I do a lot of travel to Asia for work and going west to east is a bitch. Takes about 5 days to adjust.

Jordi lands in Japan today. We play Russia on Thursday. He will really struggle to be ready. If he’d been nearby, he could join the team tomorrow, hit the ground running and play a full part in training for that game.

It’s not like he’s been playing regularly with Ulster over the past couple of weeks. He was on the bench for a pre-season game against Glasgow and that’s it.
                      Thanks Munsterboy, rule of thumb in the circadian research literature is a day per time zone, assuming you don’t try to do part of the adjustment before leaving. Obviously with a short stay there and quick return you can manage, but to be fully physically capable, the adjustment time is protracted.

Comment

Where does he go? What coaches are there with him. No point in him being in Japan when he cant have any contact with the coaching set up or players involved like training with them.
                        If Joe Schmidt announced a player had to go home tomorrow morning no player even if in Japan can join the squad for 48 hours anyway.

He would have been able to do far more training with Ulster than anything he would have been able to do once the irish 31 had started the world cup as he wouldnt have been able to train with them

Comment

Very much doubt if Murphy will start v Russia they may put him on bench to give him game time.
                          I'd start with ruddock pom and cj and bring Murphy on for pom .
                          Kleyn surely has to start and I would give James Ryan a rest .
                          9 ,10 should be Murray carberry but will prob be Murray Sexton
                          We need to put Russia away early doors ,get 4 tries and replace vital players.
                          player management is crucial so would start an all Munster front row kilcoyne scannell Ryan

Comment

We could put 150 on Russia and then again on Samoa and it won't have much impact on whether we win the quarter final

Two games to be completed IMO

The cup game is a while away yet
                            ​​
                            I am the million man.

Comment

A must win game..
                              Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

Comment

Working...
                              X