No announcement yet.

RWC19- Refereeing Ranting :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He looks shaky and hopefully he can be sent back to a less intense arena to pursue a refereeing career. This type of game needs a strong ref full stop.
    Stand up for the Ulcer men

Comment

Originally posted by Piquet View Post
      Owen Doyle says in today's Irish Times:

"Nothing referee Angus Gardner did or didn't do affected the result. That's important to state"

and

"Japan persistently put players past the breakdown, obstructing, holding onto, and taking out Irish Players. I lost count of the number of times that the Irish poacher was taken out illegally"

Surely there's an inconsistency here.
      There surely is! Doyle is an eejit! Refs either consciously or subconsciously decide to favour one team or another.

The incidents in the second paragraph affect the players on the receiving end. It also affects the game plan, if players are being held on the ground beyond a ruck they cannot be back up on their feet defending against the next or subsequent phases of an attack.

It is cheating and deserves punishment.

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

Fair call. Came in knees first.
        I watched that back a few times and I’m not so sure. The angle from behind the goal looks like the ball got dislodged by the grass as he was sliding, not as a result of the hit, which was illegal.

I can see why it was given as a penalty try, but watching that angle (and slow motion makes it look different) back I don’t think the hit dislodged the ball, just that maitland fcked up.

Comment

Originally posted by lilleexile View Post

There surely is! Doyle is an eejit! Refs either consciously or subconsciously decide to favour one team or another.

The incidents in the second paragraph affect the players on the receiving end. It also affects the game plan, if players are being held on the ground beyond a ruck they cannot be back up on their feet defending against the next or subsequent phases of an attack.

It is cheating and deserves punishment.
          It is, as you point out, stupidly inconsistent. I sort of agree with a modified version of what he says first 'Nothing referee Angus Gardner did or didn't do should have affected the result.' You play the ref, and Ireland really ought to have been good enough, and wise enough, to win. In strong vs weak games the referee often tries to cut the weaker team some slack, and we'd all probably agree with that- and I don't think Gardener did any different. At the point at which it might have affected the outcome he could/should have had a word and reigned it in. After the first 20 we just seemed overwhelmed, by Japan, our own inability, the conditions etc., but nevertheless we were leading into the final straight. Despite a dismal performance, we might easily (and undeservedly) have gotten away with it.

When I watched it back, just before POM went off Gardner said something to Best, which was (I think) along the lines of your number 6 needs to curb it...anyone else notice that? Did POM go off before he was 'sent'?

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

It is, as you point out, stupidly inconsistent. I sort of agree with a modified version of what he says first 'Nothing referee Angus Gardner did or didn't do should have affected the result.' You play the ref, and Ireland really ought to have been good enough, and wise enough, to win. In strong vs weak games the referee often tries to cut the weaker team some slack, and we'd all probably agree with that- and I don't think Gardener did any different. At the point at which it might have affected the outcome he could/should have had a word and reigned it in. After the first 20 we just seemed overwhelmed, by Japan, our own inability, the conditions etc., but nevertheless we were leading into the final straight. Despite a dismal performance, we might easily (and undeservedly) have gotten away with it.

When I watched it back, just before POM went off Gardner said something to Best, which was (I think) along the lines of your number 6 needs to curb it...anyone else notice that? Did POM go off before he was 'sent'?
            I thought the commentators inferred that alright re POM, that he might have been getting on the wrong side of the ref or words to that effect when he was taken off
            "Some people don't know their easy lives... I wouldn't be so ungrateful" - Fiacre Ryan - #AutismAndMe

Comment

Originally posted by Hugged Rugger View Post

I thought the commentators inferred that alright re POM, that he might have been getting on the wrong side of the ref or words to that effect when he was taken off
              I can imagine he was getting frustrated with some of the Japanese clear outs beyond the ball etc.

I know I was!

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

I can imagine he was getting frustrated with some of the Japanese clear outs beyond the ball etc.

I know I was!
                Leitchs clear out could have been cited I felt

EDIT keep an eye on White 20 and Rob Kearney:

Last edited by Cowboy; 2-October-2019, 14:36.
                I am the million man.

Comment

Officials strike again:

Not one crooked in free kick given in any of the matches I've watched so far at RWC19.....
                  until Jaco Pepper (remember him :((( ) gives one against Samoa in favour of Japan in the 82nd minute, 5m from the Samoan line.... which surprise, surprise leads to Japan scoring their 4th try & securing a crucial bonus point for them.... in this group of death....

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

Originally posted by Daithi View Post
                    Officials strike again:

Not one crooked in free kick given in any of the matches I've watched so far at RWC19.....
                    until Jaco Pepper (remember him :((( ) gives one against Samoa in favour of Japan in the 82nd minute, 5m from the Samoan line.... which surprise, surprise leads to Japan scoring their 4th try & securing a crucial bonus point for them.... in this group of death....
                    Twould remind you of a certain final, or two
                    Gwan Joe!!

Comment

On the positive side, hats off to World Rugby & the refereeing officials who are trying to eliminate high, late and dangerous hits at this RWC.

This is a really welcome development imho ,and it even has 'he who shall not be named' moaning on about the crackdown on it last Sunday => it must be good::)))

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

Originally posted by Daithi View Post
                        On the positive side, hats off to World Rugby & the refereeing officials who are trying to eliminate high, late and dangerous hits at this RWC.

This is a really welcome development imho ,and it even has 'he who shall not be named' moaning on about the crackdown on it last Sunday => it must be good::)))
                        Exactly, and an even more effective tactic in operation this weekend.

Comment

Maybe not quire the right place for this but thought the officials were excellent in yesterday’s game.

Comment

How a Uruguyan player using his head and feet as a kind of tripod jackal is deemed to be on his feet is something only Angus Gardner can explain

I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post
                              Maybe not quire the right place for this but thought the officials were excellent in yesterday’s game.
                              And, he's a dreamboat

#gunshow
                              I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
                                How a Uruguyan player using his head and feet as a kind of tripod jackal is deemed to be on his feet is something only Angus Gardner can explain

Only watched the last 10 minutes of the first half but during that time he gave about three or four fairly generous decisions to Uruguay. Looks determined to have one more upset before the group stages end! :)

Comment

Working...
                                X