Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RWC19- Refereeing Ranting :)

I decided to start a thread about refereeing at this tournament so as not to be dragging other topics off thread.

As far as I can see, after the first weekend, the refereeing is all over the place. The Australian winger was allowed to practically take a Fijian attacker's head off, yet even after the tmo reviewed it, he was allowed stay on the park. The unfortunate Fijian wasn't, cos of the concussion he got inflicted with.....Like wtf!?

France v Argentina was ridiculous, in that no off side was reffed at all seemingly, with France intercepting when clearly offside to stop a promising Puma attack late on. Finally ,just to add insult to injury for the hapless Pumas, a French lazy off side rucker was allowed to inhibit the Argentinian scrum half from playing the ball at a ruck under the French sticks, so that another French counter rucker can then play the ball which was now out.... Argentina lost by 2!!

Finally, my favourite ref ;), Wayne Barnes, who tbf has improved hugely as a ref imho, gives Tadhg Byrne a yellow card, out of the blue, for a simple hands in the ruck, with no warning whatsoever & with Scotland fouling the Irish all bloody afternoon.....

What's clear as mustard imho, is that the laws are not being applied consistently & that the offside line isn't being reffed much at all. Both pet hates of mine. The reffing needs to improve massively imho.....rant over :).....for now..;)
    Last edited by Daithi; 23rd-September-2019, 10:44.

alas they are just north munster now.......

Originally posted by Daithi View Post

I decided to start a thread about refereeing at this tournament so as not to be dragging other topics off thread.

As far as I can see, after the first weekend, the refereeing is all over the place. The Australian winger was allowed to take a Fijian attacker's head off yet even after the tmo reviewed it, he was allowed stay on the park. The unfortunate Fijian wasn't cos of the concussion he got inflicted with.....Like wtf!?

France v Argentina was ridiculous, in that no off side was reffed at all seemingly, with France intercepting when clearly offside to stop a promising Puma attack & finally a French lazy off side Rucker from the ground inhibited the Argentinian scrum half from playing the ball so that another French counter rucker can then play the ball which was now out....

Finally, my favourite, Wayne Barnes, who has improved hugely as a ref imho, gives Tadhg Byrne a yellow card for a simple hands in the ruck, with no warning whatsoever & Scotland fouling the Irish all bloody afternoon.....

What's clear as mustard imho is that the laws are not being applied consistently & that the offside line isn't being reffed much at all. Both pet hates of mine. The reffing needs to improve....rant over :).....for now..;)
    we do have a laws thread which could be used for that.

I agree with you on Hodge for Australia. He's been cited but should have been an ingame sanction.

Wayne Barnes is rightfully one of if not the best ref in the world. Barnes was dead right to give Beirne a yellow for that infringement. It was completely cynical slowing of the ball with the Scots having a great attacking opportunity at the time.
    While ideally you want most infringements penalised you cant simply call every offside up. Otherwise every tackle/ruck/maul will have a penalty for offside.

Comment

Originally posted by Daithi View Post

As far as I can see, after the first weekend, the refereeing is all over the place. The Australian winger was allowed to take a Fijian attacker's head off yet even after the tmo reviewed it, he was allowed stay on the park. The unfortunate Fijian wasn't cos of the concussion he got inflicted with.....Like wtf!?

France v Argentina was ridiculous, in that no off side was reffed at all seemingly, with France intercepting when clearly offside to stop a promising Puma attack & finally a French lazy off side Rucker from the ground inhibited the Argentinian scrum half from playing the ball so that another French counter rucker can then play the ball which was now out....

Finally, my favourite, Wayne Barnes, who has improved hugely as a ref imho, gives Tadhg Byrne a yellow card for a simple hands in the ruck, with no warning whatsoever & Scotland fouling the Irish all bloody afternoon.....

What's clear as mustard imho is that the laws are not being applied consistently & that the offside line isn't being reffed much at all. Both pet hates of mine. The reffing needs to improve....rant over :).....for now..;)
      Spare a special place for Garces who decided NZ could poach ball all day legally and illegally but SA were told time and again to release. He also gave multiple dodgy scrum decisions especially when it looked like Kitshoff had Moody in a lot of trouble. As for the offside line. Pointless!
      He's a guy who gets up at six o'clock in the morning regardless of what time it is.

Comment

How about the simple stuff like crooked throws and feeds? On the latter, I expect it is deliberate to perhaps discourage more aggressive scrummaging. But the former does not make sense.

Comment

Originally posted by The Last Stand View Post
          How about the simple stuff like crooked throws and feeds? On the latter, I expect it is deliberate to perhaps discourage more aggressive scrummaging. But the former does not make sense.
          On a crooked throw to a lineout. If uncontested no ref will ever penalise it as in why would you?
          On crooked feeds. again look at stability, etc and the law essentially allows you put in to your side. Players will always favour their own side and not put ball in straight and scrum half is allowed in law to stand a shoulder width closer to their side so wont be straight anyway

Comment

Speaking about terrible refereeing I think Georgia should not bother coming out in second half .They are getting nothing from the ref. Davies should be in the bin (possibly twice), Jake ball is on his feet while clearly lying on top of the ruck. Between this and the Fiji game i'm actually losing some of my enjoyment watching the RWC. I thought refs were going to be strict coming into the RWC howver it looks the opposite with laissez faire refereeing across the board primarily to the detriment of the t2 teams
            The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad.
            - Salvador Dali (1904-1989)

Comment

Davies is living offside and throwing forward passes all day, the referee doesn't seem to care. Some very odd refereeing in this RWC so far that seems to greatly benefit the more cynical team.

Comment

That call about the slap down not being a slap down was baffling. No camera angle from the side.

Comment

Originally posted by Upfront_1979 View Post
                  Speaking about terrible refereeing I think Georgia should not bother coming out in second half .They are getting nothing from the ref. Davies should be in the bin (possibly twice), Jake ball is on his feet while clearly lying on top of the ruck. Between this and the Fiji game i'm actually losing some of my enjoyment watching the RWC. I thought refs were going to be strict coming into the RWC howver it looks the opposite with laissez faire refereeing across the board primarily to the detriment of the t2 teams
                  Welcome friend
                  I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by ormond lad View Post
                    While ideally you want most infringements penalised you cant simply call every offside up. Otherwise every tackle/ruck/maul will have a penalty for offside.
                    ......until players get the message and stop going offside.

Comment

Originally posted by Piquet View Post

......until players get the message and stop going offside.
                      Players can be offside and completely immaterial to the ball/ball carrier/play. There is no need to penalise players in those situations. Quite often the armchair supporters here see those incidents and are saying the officials are ignoring offside when it simply isnt the case.

Comment

every player in range of a pass or kick to their opponent in the defensive line is "material" if a scrum half looks up and sees a defensive "curve" his only real option is a short pass or box kick. not policing the offside line rigorously ruins the game

Comment

Ive caught a bit of the Wales game. The ref was poor. This always telling the players to hurry up . Mainly the Georgians but when he tells the welsh they take their time and no free kick.
                          I thought some of their passes were forwards. The last try there was a blatant forward pass in the lead up to it. In the previous try the scrum half I though was ahead of Norths kicks

I thought the Georgians looked good for part of it and they deserved better.
                          When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect Hungry

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post

Welcome friend
                            Thanks! needed somewhere to talk about rugby during work hours

Comment

Originally posted by ormond lad View Post
                              we do have a laws thread which could be used for that.

I agree with you on Hodge for Australia. He's been cited but should have been an ingame sanction.

Wayne Barnes is rightfully one of if not the best ref in the world. Barnes was dead right to give Beirne a yellow for that infringement. It was completely cynical slowing of the ball with the Scots having a great attacking opportunity at the time.
                              Sounds like the ref should be cited too.
                              The assault didn't make the 2 min highlights package. Nor did any of the springboks 'immense opening quarter'.

Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Working...
                              X