• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ustix
    replied
    Originally posted by lawrence View Post

That’s why I’m on the big bucks robin.
    One man's small is another man's big
    Last edited by ustix; 6th-October-2019, 19:45.

Leave a comment:

• lawrence
    replied
    Originally posted by ustix View Post
    Good thinking Batman
    That’s why I’m on the big bucks robin.

Leave a comment:

• ustix
    replied
    Just got to thinking, one of the biggest disadvantages of losing this game may well be the fact that since the loss the management have to prepare their homework for two instead of one potential QF opponents.

Had we beaten Japan the work on SA could have started in earnest, whereas now when we beat Samoa we still won’t know our QF opponents until the night after leaving a possible 5 days to prepare, and we know that joe likes to prepare very specifically for each opponent.

That means that instead of having 3 weeks where players could look at SA we won’t even have a full week.

It’s also the case that SA or NZ will not be able to prepare specifically until Sunday night / Monday morning but it seems that specific preparation has been a bigger part of our success than theirs over the last few seasons.
    Good thinking Batman

Leave a comment:

• lawrence
    replied
    Just got to thinking, one of the biggest disadvantages of losing this game may well be the fact that since the loss the management have to prepare their homework for two instead of one potential QF opponents.

Had we beaten Japan the work on SA could have started in earnest, whereas now when we beat Samoa we still won’t know our QF opponents until the night after leaving a possible 5 days to prepare, and we know that joe likes to prepare very specifically for each opponent.

That means that instead of having 3 weeks where players could look at SA we won’t even have a full week.

It’s also the case that SA or NZ will not be able to prepare specifically until Sunday night / Monday morning but it seems that specific preparation has been a bigger part of our success than theirs over the last few seasons.

Leave a comment:

• Talking Sense
    replied
    Originally posted by AwayFromHome View Post

Bad Irish defeats in 2007 RWC cycle

2004: 18 point defeat to France, 14 point defeat to South Africa
    2005: 12 point defeat to Wales, 38 point defeat to NZ (at home), point defeat to Aus (at home)
    2006: 12 point defeat to France, 2 10 point defeats to NZ, 22 point defeat to Aus
    2007: 3 defeats by Arg, 2 defeats by France, 12 point defeat by Scotland

I can continue through the 11, 15 and 19 cycles if you'd like. Facts are facts - 2019 has not been a bad year in Irish rugby.
    Agree to disagree, I think its been a ****e year.

Leave a comment:

• AwayFromHome
    replied
    Originally posted by Talking Sense View Post

I would respectfully disagree, shipping a 42 point loss in London, getting beaten by Eng H (12 points) and Wales A (18 points) and losing to Japan does not constitute a level of performance that is on par with the last 15 years.
    Bad Irish defeats in 2007 RWC cycle

2004: 18 point defeat to France, 14 point defeat to South Africa
    2005: 12 point defeat to Wales, 38 point defeat to NZ (at home), point defeat to Aus (at home)
    2006: 12 point defeat to France, 2 10 point defeats to NZ, 22 point defeat to Aus
    2007: 3 defeats by Arg, 2 defeats by France, 12 point defeat by Scotland

I can continue through the 11, 15 and 19 cycles if you'd like. Facts are facts - 2019 has not been a bad year in Irish rugby.

Leave a comment:

• jagawayagain
    replied

I would respectfully disagree, shipping a 42 point loss in London, getting beaten by Eng H (12 points) and Wales A (18 points) and losing to Japan does not constitute a level of performance that is on par with the last 15 years.
    After the way we were dismantled so effectively by England In Dublin, I think many of us realised that this team, playing what had been a highly effective style, was entering the end game, Wales away confined that. While we hoped Joe would somehow magically rectify the situation for the World Cup, few of us believed he would. The game against Scotland was a good start- and as did some of the warm ups, said more about the opposition than us. The World Cup has come too late for Joe,
    his style and this team. It’s now about having a dignified end, QF is a minimum, but well in our grasp. One off game, who knows.

Leave a comment:

• Talking Sense
    replied

We have been worse overall in 2019 than we were in 2018 when every ball bounced our way, but we haven't been worse in 2019 overall then the average level of performance over the previous 15 years, which have been about the best 15 years ever in Irish rugby.

Leave a comment:

• AwayFromHome
    replied

I think in the context of a weird and sloppy 2019, Eng and Wales beating us soundly in the 6n (avgd a 15 point loss), Eng battering us in Aug by 42 points and now losing to Japan after being 12-3 up and not scoring for an hour, yeah you could say our form is in a crisis. Confidence must be pretty low in the camp. Are the lads happy? Do they look like they’re having a great time?
    I have no idea how the lads feel, nor do you nor do any of the journos. I haven"t seen anything in body language that would suggest anything abnormal in the camp.

We have been worse overall in 2019 than we were in 2018 when every ball bounced our way, but we haven't been worse in 2019 overall then the average level of performance over the previous 15 years, which have been about the best 15 years ever in Irish rugby.

Leave a comment:

• AwayFromHome
    replied
    The main takeaway from this is that we didn’t underestimate japan, they were just a lot better than we thought they were going to be.
    Aye, 'I wouldn't start from here' as a Kerryman might say.

Leave a comment:

• Talking Sense
    replied

The media want to turn this into a "crisis" and a "disaster" for the clicks but really it was just a banana skin that we slipped badly on.
    I think in the context of a weird and sloppy 2019, Eng and Wales beating us soundly in the 6n (avgd a 15 point loss), Eng battering us in Aug by 42 points and now losing to Japan after being 12-3 up and not scoring for an hour, yeah you could say our form is in a crisis. Confidence must be pretty low in the camp. Are the lads happy? Do they look like they’re having a great time?

Leave a comment:

• lawrence
    replied
    The main takeaway from this is that we didn’t underestimate japan, they were just a lot better than we thought they were going to be.

Leave a comment:

• ormond lad
    replied
    Originally posted by tippete7trees View Post
    t
    Ha, for sure there's a very long list of dire Irish sporting fiascos but context is the point. This is a team that could legitimately dream of even winning the Worrild cup but allowed themselves to be out thought and out fought by the rugby might of An tSeapain ffs.
    Thats why i wouldnt worry as much about it. We have Russia which will be comfortable and Samoa will be grand and as long as we dont lose anyone to injury we still have the same battle we knew about beforehand. A huge battle against a top SH side be it South Afirca or New Zealand. Loss to Japan hasnt changed that
    As AFH says it was a banana skin we slipped badly on but as long as we get back on track these two games and are then ready for one hell of a battle in two weekends time then who cares?

Leave a comment:

• jagawayagain
    replied
    I think one thing that much of the analysis overlooks is that we weren't chasing the game. While we were struggling to make any headway from 20-60 minutes we were still ahead and had them contained.We chose not to panic and wait for the to tire or slip up but when Japan finally got ahead that gave them a boost of energy that we couldn't quite counteract and we started to force things (like Larmour's pass).

The media want to turn this into a "crisis" and a "disaster" for the clicks but really it was just a banana skin that we slipped badly on.
    Absolutely!

Leave a comment:

• AwayFromHome
    replied
    I think one thing that much of the analysis overlooks is that we weren't chasing the game. While we were struggling to make any headway from 20-60 minutes we were still ahead and had them contained.We chose not to panic and wait for the to tire or slip up but when Japan finally got ahead that gave them a boost of energy that we couldn't quite counteract and we started to force things (like Larmour's pass).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X