Japan v Ireland, 08.15, Sat 28 Sept

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tippete7trees View Post
    I'm about 20 days trek beyond the backside of beyond hence delayed comment re Japan match fiasco.
    First, marvellous effort by Japan. But I wouldn't be surprised if both the Scots and Samoa bet them, Scotland for sure. They will be ready for Japan. Also, the Japanese Steamometer can only be cranked up a few times before fatal condensing.
    Re Ireland. Beyond embarrassing. Shameful. Probably worst performance by any Irish sporting outfit ever. Academies and High performance centres MY ARSE. Turned players into fancy Dan gym marmosets. When the going gets tough the tough start waving their arms at the ref. Eejits.
    Only a narrow loss in the semi will partially extirpate the shame of being bullied around the pitch by the Japanese. A place in the final would go some way but I have my doubts they're up to dealing with Samoa. If Japan do win the group wait and se what SA do to them. They will slaughter them.
    Did you watch some of the crap Ireland used to produce in 90s and there's been plenty worse than that performance in 00s as well.
    This is a complete over reaction to a poor performance.

Comment

Originally posted by ormond lad View Post
      Did you watch some of the crap Ireland used to produce in 90s and there's been plenty worse than that performance in 00s as well.
      A FFS Ormond Lad, I’ve been in counselling for 20 years after those performances in the 90s ... and you’re after ruining it all reminding me of those games :)
      "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Originally posted by ormond lad View Post
        t
        Ha, for sure there's a very long list of dire Irish sporting fiascos but context is the point. This is a team that could legitimately dream of even winning the Worrild cup but allowed themselves to be out thought and out fought by the rugby might of An tSeapain ffs.

Comment

I think you've to be adaptable to win the world cup, and this setup is just about the most un-adaptable tier 1 nation at it.

I take no pleasure in saying it, but a late bus caused us to lose the game in Edinburgh one year, the Japs showed we are not built to think on the hoof. Joe doesn't like adaptable rugby - at all. Tis why Ian Madigan and Zeebs are not at this world cup.

We have a plan, we implement the plan. The champions will have a plan, and when it goes awry they'll change it up and figure out way to win on the field. I haven't seen enough of that over the last 4 years (and especially the last 10 months) to say we are capable of it sadly.
          I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
            I think you've to be adaptable to win the world cup, and this setup is just about the most un-adaptable tier 1 nation at it.

I take no pleasure in saying it, but a late bus caused us to lose the game in Edinburgh one year, the Japs showed we are not built to think on the hoof. Joe doesn't like adaptable rugby - at all. Tis why Ian Madigan and Zeebs are not at this world cup.

We have a plan, we implement the plan. The champions will have a plan, and when it goes awry they'll change it up and figure out way to win on the field. I haven't seen enough of that over the last 4 years (and especially the last 10 months) to say we are capable of it sadly.
            So true. NZ do that so well. First half is to size up the opposition, second half to apply the learnings and close off the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Snrub View Post

So true. NZ do that so well. First half is to size up the opposition, second half to apply the learnings and close off the game.
              It took them a long time at the top table and multiple RWCs to get where they are
              Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
                Actually if we had stuck to Schmidt Plan 1A we might have done better.

I had a great chat with a guy in my local the night before the game, and he was telling me that Japan were good enough to do Ireland over and described how they'd play, conditions, chort turnaround etc I agreed with him but said it didn't matter because they'd never get the ball. Clever Joe named the front line pack and this Ireland team would play one out carries, maul all day and the ball wouldn't go past Murray.

And then I woke up the next morning saw ireland offloading out of the tackle ..... and I thought WTAF?
                Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2020.

Comment

It looked like Ireland were trying to repeat what they did on the 2017 tour. Japan evidently learned more from those games than Ireland did.

Comment

Originally posted by rathbaner View Post
                    Actually if we had stuck to Schmidt Plan 1A we might have done better.

I had a great chat with a guy in my local the night before the game, and he was telling me that Japan were good enough to do Ireland over and described how they'd play, conditions, chort turnaround etc I agreed with him but said it didn't matter because they'd never get the ball. Clever Joe named the front line pack and this Ireland team would play one out carries, maul all day and the ball wouldn't go past Murray.

And then I woke up the next morning saw ireland offloading out of the tackle ..... and I thought WTAF?
                    In fairness, we tried to maul them two or three times and got absolutely nowhere. They were well prepared for that.

Our carrying was pretty good in the first half and we were making ground but it faded as our pack lost energy. That was our main issue in the second half. Hard to play a grinding possession game when you're blowing hard and being knocked back on your arse.

Comment

I think one thing that much of the analysis overlooks is that we weren't chasing the game. While we were struggling to make any headway from 20-60 minutes we were still ahead and had them contained.We chose not to panic and wait for the to tire or slip up but when Japan finally got ahead that gave them a boost of energy that we couldn't quite counteract and we started to force things (like Larmour's pass).

The media want to turn this into a "crisis" and a "disaster" for the clicks but really it was just a banana skin that we slipped badly on.

Comment

Originally posted by AwayFromHome View Post
                        I think one thing that much of the analysis overlooks is that we weren't chasing the game. While we were struggling to make any headway from 20-60 minutes we were still ahead and had them contained.We chose not to panic and wait for the to tire or slip up but when Japan finally got ahead that gave them a boost of energy that we couldn't quite counteract and we started to force things (like Larmour's pass).

The media want to turn this into a "crisis" and a "disaster" for the clicks but really it was just a banana skin that we slipped badly on.
                        Absolutely!

Comment

Originally posted by tippete7trees View Post
                          t
                          Ha, for sure there's a very long list of dire Irish sporting fiascos but context is the point. This is a team that could legitimately dream of even winning the Worrild cup but allowed themselves to be out thought and out fought by the rugby might of An tSeapain ffs.
                          Thats why i wouldnt worry as much about it. We have Russia which will be comfortable and Samoa will be grand and as long as we dont lose anyone to injury we still have the same battle we knew about beforehand. A huge battle against a top SH side be it South Afirca or New Zealand. Loss to Japan hasnt changed that
                          As AFH says it was a banana skin we slipped badly on but as long as we get back on track these two games and are then ready for one hell of a battle in two weekends time then who cares?

Comment

The main takeaway from this is that we didn’t underestimate japan, they were just a lot better than we thought they were going to be.

Comment

Originally posted by AwayFromHome View Post

I think in the context of a weird and sloppy 2019, Eng and Wales beating us soundly in the 6n (avgd a 15 point loss), Eng battering us in Aug by 42 points and now losing to Japan after being 12-3 up and not scoring for an hour, yeah you could say our form is in a crisis. Confidence must be pretty low in the camp. Are the lads happy? Do they look like they’re having a great time?
                              \"Only Pienaar, Botha and Ferris would be in contention for a place on our first 15. That\'s a fact.\" - Tickettout\'s take on Ulster April 2011.

Comment

Originally posted by lawrence View Post
                                The main takeaway from this is that we didn’t underestimate japan, they were just a lot better than we thought they were going to be.
                                Aye, 'I wouldn't start from here' as a Kerryman might say.

Comment

Working...
                                X