Japan v Ireland, 08.15, Sat 28 Sept

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by In Joe we trust View Post

We had 10 line breaks in the game and Rob had of them and you think Larmour would have done more??? You should listen to James Lowe explain why Rob is still a better fullback than Larmour.
    Conway should have been selected at full back.

Comment

Originally posted by lawrence View Post
      People wanna stop going on about the difference in Japan’s recovery time and ours. It’s embarrassing.
      Seems a lot more appetite to give our lads a bit of a shoeing than admiring the insane effort, heart and application of the 80 mins Japan put together.

Tis fairly obvious to my eye why we lost that game, all the reasons are in the majority down to Japan and what they did. What we failed to do are mostly secondary.
      I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by In Joe we trust View Post

We had 10 line breaks in the game and Rob had of them and you think Larmour would have done more??? You should listen to James Lowe explain why Rob is still a better fullback than Larmour.
        We made an open play break at one point where Kearney had a man outside him and still managed to make contact with the only Japanese player in 20 square metres. He'd have had to go into the front row of the crowd to collide with the next nearest one. The space he was in would take a day and a half to plough, and he still ****ed it.
        Last edited by Balla Boy; 30th-September-2019, 08:17.
        "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post

Seems a lot more appetite to give our lads a bit of a shoeing than admiring the insane effort, heart and application of the 80 mins Japan put together.

Tis fairly obvious to my eye why we lost that game, all the reasons are in the majority down to Japan and what they did. What we failed to do are mostly secondary.
          Keep telling yourself that, it might change the fact that we picked the wrong players and our gameplan is all wrong.
          \"Only Pienaar, Botha and Ferris would be in contention for a place on our first 15. That\'s a fact.\" - Tickettout\'s take on Ulster April 2011.

Comment

Originally posted by Talking Sense View Post

Keep telling yourself that, it might change the fact that we picked the wrong players and our gameplan is all wrong.
            Ok, I hope I sleep tonight with the worry
            I am the million man.

Comment

We have a ferocious ability to get carried away with good performances against bad teams. It’s like the English national soccer team at times.

When you attach some realism to performances over the years many of them were not as good as people make out.

New Zealand in Chicago is talked about as the thing of legends, yet we ignore the issues NZ had in the team they picked / the timing of the game.

Scotland were and are woefull. Yet we were into a QF after it and possibly a Semi.

Beating Wales in the run up gave no credence to the lack of effort Wales put in.

We we are not as good as people think, and we were a better team 12 months ago, that said we are not as poor that we should lose to Japan but we got that one wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Mumhain View Post

Not so sure about the "there is no point going on about Best now" comment. In international rugby every little mistake is huge. Rory Best was directly responsible for giving the ball away on three occasions when Ireland were in attacking positions. Two of these were from poor throws and the other was a handling mistake when Ryan put him through a gap. Outside of the captaincy, I just can't see what he is offering. I know he is still making a lot tackles, but how many are dominant hits.
                In hindsight it was absolute madness to ask him play another 50 mins after a full 80 six days before especially at his age. Is Scannell or Cronin going to improve the line out?? The shame is that no one has come along in the last few years to put real pressure on him to become 1st choice hooker. As I say, whether we like it or not best will start the QF barring injury.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by lawrence View Post

We have a ferocious ability to get carried away with good performances against bad teams. It’s like the English national soccer team at times.

When you attach some realism to performances over the years many of them were not as good as people make out.

New Zealand in Chicago is talked about as the thing of legends, yet we ignore the issues NZ had in the team they picked / the timing of the game.

Scotland were and are woefull. Yet we were into a QF after it and possibly a Semi.

Beating Wales in the run up gave no credence to the lack of effort Wales put in.

We we are not as good as people think, and we were a better team 12 months ago, that said we are not as poor that we should lose to Japan but we got that one wrong.
                  Yerp. Agree with all of that. I dont think we will be beating anyone in the quarters as it stands.

I still think Japan were ****ing class though, and both things can be in agreement
                  I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Heisenberg View Post

In hindsight it was absolute madness to ask him play another 50 mins after a full 80 six days before especially at his age. Is Scannell or Cronin going to improve the line out?? The shame is that no one has come along in the last few years to put real pressure on him to become 1st choice hooker. As I say, whether we like it or not best will start the QF barring injury.

You dont know that, Scannell should start now and if he goes well why would you drop him?! This is exactly our issue, look at NZ, Franks cast away just before the tournament, Ioane cant get in the team! Not in a month of Sundays would that happen in Ireland!
                    \"Only Pienaar, Botha and Ferris would be in contention for a place on our first 15. That\'s a fact.\" - Tickettout\'s take on Ulster April 2011.

Comment

Yerp. Agree with all of that. I dont think we will be beating anyone in the quarters as it stands.

I still think Japan were ****ing class though, and both things can be in agreement

They sure were, as happened in Brighton they were brilliant.

We could win a QF, it’s unlikely and we will be underdogs, but we have the ability to beat anyone on our day.

Comment

Originally posted by Talking Sense View Post

You dont know that, Scannell should start now and if he goes well why would you drop him?! This is exactly our issue, look at NZ, Franks cast away just before the tournament, Ioane cant get in the team! Not in a month of Sundays would that happen in Ireland!
                        Would be happy to see Scannell start and hold onto the Jersey for the rest of the tournament, the Best thing has bothered me for well over a year and I hope Joe shows a bit of ruthlessness here but let’s see

Comment

What irritates me is that so many seem to just want to have a go at individual players rather than actually look at the reasons that most of the team, and the pack in particular, didn't dominate the opposition in the second half. I guess when people are disappointed it makes them feel a bit better to get stuck in.

Comment

Japan were class on Saturday. Maybe it was a one-off for them, maybe not, but they were terrific in everything they did, clearly they targeted this match, they fought like warriors for the full 80 minutes and they had what seems like a really passionate crowd.

Ireland? We played as well as we were let after 20 minutes, but Saturday had the look of two evenly matched teams going at it, with one gradually and decisively getting well on top, as happens in rugby.

I don't get this "embarrassing defeat to a Tier 2 nation" nonsense. This morning Japan are No 8 in the rankings, ahead of Scotland, Argentina and Italy.

We hit a really good team on Saturday and for a number of reasons - short turnaround, fatigue, weather, errors a crucial times, whatever - we couldn't match our opponents. It happens.

Not the narrative we wanted, but 48 hours later, I'm thrilled for Japan and it is good for the game. Fair play to them.
                            "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
                            Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Comment

I'm also thrilled for Japan. Just had a Japanese colleague in my office with a massive grin, much easier to take than a gloating Argie.

I think its ironic for an Irish side that the main reason we lost was probably that we DIDN'T panic. I have the feeling that the leadership group (coaches and senior players) just keep repeating the notion that if we stuck to our patterns we would get 10-15 more minutes of dominance and we would be able to make that count and win. 9 times out of 10 against an opposition like that this would have been the right call.

We are still 50/50 to top the group and even if we don't then the All Blacks are not that much tougher than the Boks.

Comment

Had a while to digest it all now. I always remind myself that i love the game of rugby more than the team i support and what i saw on Saturday was good for the game of rugby just as was the beating we took against Argentina four years ago. I have always refused to believe that Saracens are the blueprint for rugby, rather a good example of ONE way the game can be played, but i tend to get drowned out in this part of the world when i say that. I don't think you need to EARN the right to go wide, or at least i don't agree with the traditional interpretation of that old adage. I have always been convinced that if you can't go through a team of naturalised boks and samoans then you shouldn't kill yourself trying but should instead try move the point of contact till their lungs are bursting.

To accomplish this you need a team that are able to do it. Backs who can run and pass under pressure, a forward pack that can cover the field and a scrum-half that is more Stringer than Murray. The Penney era would suggest that we're culturally incapable of taking this on but what we see in the world cup every four years should remind us that an alternative IS possible.

Stephen Larkham......what can you teach us

Comment

Working...
                                X