No announcement yet.

Japan v Ireland, 08.15, Sat 28 Sept

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I havent posted in ages but I have to say a mighty congrats to Japan I am thrilled for them and their gracious nature in victory...as a conservative people they didn't hold back in their celebrations. Its great for Ireland to be making Rugby history (LoL) in any event I cannot understand why we didn't grind them down, kick for touch, maul ruck and wtf is Kleyn doing in squad if we dont use his muscle...hindsight is great but for sure we needed Best rested should have started the fresher players and brought on the Calvary to close out the game.

Comment

Originally posted by The Last Stand View Post

Scotland may well beat Japan.
      If Ireland pick up ten points in the last two games, Japan will probably have to win against Scotland to go through to the QF, lose and they could very well be out... quite how they will handle that pressure after raising expectations with this win is anyone’s guess, but they certainly won’t be able to play as if they have nothing to lose.

Comment

Originally posted by hooke View Post
        I havent posted in ages but I have to say a mighty congrats to Japan I am thrilled for them and their gracious nature in victory...as a conservative people they didn't hold back in their celebrations. Its great for Ireland to be making Rugby history (LoL) in any event I cannot understand why we didn't grind them down, kick for touch, maul ruck and wtf is Kleyn doing in squad if we dont use his muscle...hindsight is great but for sure we needed Best rested should have started the fresher players and brought on the Calvary to close out the game.
        I’m not sure even bringing on Calvary would have saved the tired souls in the pitch yesterday, as it was the back to back games was already too much of a cross to carry.

Comment

Originally posted by the plastic paddy View Post

If Ireland pick up ten points in the last two games, Japan will probably have to win against Scotland to go through to the QF, lose and they could very well be out... quite how they will handle that pressure after raising expectations with this win is anyone’s guess, but they certainly won’t be able to play as if they have nothing to lose.
          Yes- and there were very evident (and understandable) nerves in the opening game and at the start yesterday. Am In Edinburgh at the moment, and chatting to Scottish friends and solid rugby fans at lunchtime they were very worried about getting enough points in the interim to get through by denying Japan a losing bonus point- they are well rattled, and have no faith in their side. It will be a monumental game for both sides. I’d love to see Japan go through- to playing NZ, and our Celtic brothers have en early and dismal homecoming.

For us the challenge is getting the 10 points, but also having our best side in their best shape for the QF. The latter being the biggest challenge.

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

Yes- and there were very evident (and understandable) nerves in the opening game and at the start yesterday. Am In Edinburgh at the moment, and chatting to Scottish friends and solid rugby fans at lunchtime they were very worried about getting enough points in the interim to get through by denying Japan a losing bonus point- they are well rattled, and have no faith in their side. It will be a monumental game for both sides. I’d love to see Japan go through- to playing NZ, and our Celtic brothers have en early and dismal homecoming.

For us the challenge is getting the 10 points, but also having our best side in their best shape for the QF. The latter being the biggest challenge.
            Unless Japan lose to Samoa I don’t think they can beat Scotland and finish second in the group. I would love to see it happen but really can’t.

Comment

Unless Japan lose to Samoa I don’t think they can beat Scotland and finish second in the group. I would love to see it happen but really can’t.
              Win all four and the minimum is 16 points for them, same as the max for us. If we’re tied on 16 they top the group because they beat us.

We need them to lose a game in order for us to top the group.

They could lose to Samoa or Scotland and still go through, although winning and losing BPs would play a role.

Comment

Yes- probably very unlikely, but not impossible. Ireland 6 (+10, finish with 16), Japan 9 (Samoa 5-0, Scotland 1-5, 0-4, finish with 15 or 14) Scotland 0 (Russia 5-0, Samoa, 4-0, Japan 5-1, 4-0) finish with 14 or 13).
                Last edited by jagawayagain; 29th-September-2019, 15:39.

Comment

Yes- probably very unlikely, but not impossible. Ireland 6 (+10, finish with 16), Japan 9 (Samoa 5-0, Scotland 1-5, 0-4, finish with 15 or 14) Scotland 0 (Russia 5-0, Samoa, 4-0, Japan 5-1, 4-0) finish with 14 or 13).
                  We really need Samoa to deny Japan the BP.

Comment

We really need Samoa to deny Japan the BP.
                    Yes, that would be handy- as would a few Samoan suspensions .

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

Speaking of revisionism, you’ve changed your tune! What happened to your trust in Joe? If our game plan is deficient, it’s all on him. He’s had two RWC cycles and almost unrivalled access to his players to develop whatever game plan he wanted.

But our game plan yesterday was actually pretty solid and effective in the first half. Our defence was also good against an excellent attacking side. They did only score a single try remember.

The problem was that, in the conditions, we really struggled to maintain our momentum and to execute our skills in the second half.

Thag was largely down to selection IMO. The lads started very well but soon began to look knackered. Joe’s somewhat defensive comment in the press that Ryan was still “delivering” at the end is telling. Ryan was out on his feet and getting knocked backwards. If a guy with his engine is struggling, it’s a very bad sign.
                      I think the revisionism comment was fair, in that most people who wanted further rotation, wanted so, to give others gametime, not because they thought they would be needed to beat Japan (which frankly everyone still assumed). The real complaints about selection effectiveness only appeared afterwards. Apart from Sexton (who could probably have played) we were paying due respect to Japan, by selecting our first team, given injuries.

The real problem (as supporters) is that we have no real way of knowing why we seemed significantly less able to deal with the conditions than Japan. Apart from Best (can't understand why he played 80 against Scotland), they should have been in good form, nearly a week after a match of less intensity than the match today. As mentioned, they deal with this regularly at club level. They have theoretically been conditioned to perfection (via hell and back !) and managed carefully. Did Portugal do more harm than good ? . . . we'll probably have to wait for the after-WRC forensics.

In the meantime, this would probably just have ended up a quickly forgotten close-call if it wasn't for 9 penalties, 2 lineouts lost and 1 scrum . . . we are normally, the least penalty-conceding team, but today to be honest, the penalty count felt even worse than the statistics say !

One thing that has probably been forgotten in the post-match depression, is that in the first 20 mins we showed more enterprise than we had all year (offloads a-plenty) so one faint glimmer of hope is that we are trying to add more to our armoury. Unfortunately under pressure/fatigue we reverted to what is most familiar (Conor Murray will you please not wait until every blade of grass is in place before playing the ball from a ruck !).

Comment

Yes, that would be handy- as would a few Samoan suspensions .
                        I am actually not worried at all about picking up the ten points. My concern is whether someone can beat Japan. If Scotland go home in the process all the better but topping the group is the priority.

Comment

I am actually not worried at all about picking up the ten points. My concern is whether someone can beat Japan. If Scotland go home in the process all the better but topping the group is the priority.
                          Same here, but am also worried about the injuries we may
                          pick up on the way- I feel we could give SA a damn good game, with a fit first choice team, and would love it for this group of players to make the semi, I’d imagine half of them won’t be at another World Cup.

Comment

Originally posted by blueberry View Post

I think the revisionism comment was fair, in that most people who wanted further rotation, wanted so, to give others gametime, not because they thought they would be needed to beat Japan (which frankly everyone still assumed). The real complaints about selection effectiveness only appeared afterwards. Apart from Sexton (who could probably have played) we were paying due respect to Japan, by selecting our first team, given injuries.

The real problem (as supporters) is that we have no real way of knowing why we seemed significantly less able to deal with the conditions than Japan. Apart from Best (can't understand why he played 80 against Scotland), they should have been in good form, nearly a week after a match of less intensity than the match today. As mentioned, they deal with this regularly at club level. They have theoretically been conditioned to perfection (via hell and back !) and managed carefully. Did Portugal do more harm than good ? . . . we'll probably have to wait for the after-WRC forensics.

In the meantime, this would probably just have ended up a quickly forgotten close-call if it wasn't for 9 penalties, 2 lineouts lost and 1 scrum . . . we are normally, the least penalty-conceding team, but today to be honest, the penalty count felt even worse than the statistics say !

One thing that has probably been forgotten in the post-match depression, is that in the first 20 mins we showed more enterprise than we had all year (offloads a-plenty) so one faint glimmer of hope is that we are trying to add more to our armoury. Unfortunately under pressure/fatigue we reverted to what is most familiar (Conor Murray will you please not wait until every blade of grass is in place before playing the ball from a ruck !).
                            best played 80 minutes because of injury, subs Hia’s. We ended up with 14 on the field and stander in the second row and scannell in the Back Row if I remember right.

I don’t think Portugal is a problem, but I would be interested to know how much training was done the Thursday before the game, Schmidt describes it as “trained fully” which seems to me like way too much with a captains run Friday and game Saturday considering the temps and humidity.

Sexton could and should have played, he was fit and able, Joe said so in the team announcement. It played into their hands and was an error by management. We the fans, the media and even the management have been to focused on a quarter final, we completely underestimated the skill, passion and ability of the Japanese team.

Comment

Any thoughts on Joey Carberrys performance as sub?, maybe lack of game time or that he went into a real pressure situation but to me he looked unsure of what to do ,his first pen to touch was badly kicked too barely made any distance. Hopefully he will get game time v Russia

Comment

Originally posted by RED 49 View Post
                                Any thoughts on Joey Carberrys performance as sub?, maybe lack of game time or that he went into a real pressure situation but to me he looked unsure of what to do ,his first pen to touch was badly kicked too barely made any distance. Hopefully he will get game time v Russia
                                guilty of trying too hard, I think.

He at least made the opposition uncertain as to where we were going next. The problem was that only a few of our team were able to keep up with him. I saw him searching out Earls a few times. He had one run where a pass to Kearney could have resulted in a score out wide but he ran back inside. I hope he starts against Russia but knowing Joe, it's likely to be Sexton.
                                "Fineen Wycherley was everywhere. When I watched this video back late on Saturday night I half expected to look up from my laptop to find him in my kitchen ' TRK Nov 3rd 2019 following Cardiff v Munster

Comment

Working...
                                X