Japan v Ireland, 08.15, Sat 28 Sept

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by woodlawn1 View Post
    Have the Irish team the autonomy /permission to change the game plan on the pitch or do they have to stick to a structure no matter what?
    Have they the ability to change the plan?
    Commemorate Nevin Spence here -
    http://www.mycharity.ie/event/munste..._nevin_spence/

Comment

At least we are still in it. A far better situation than we were in after Ireland v Argentina in France 2007.

Comment

Fatigue has obviously played a big part, but I don't think I've ever seen a professional team carry the ball as passively as Ireland did today. At times they were literally walking into the carry. Considering the size difference between the packs, it was remarkable how many collisions Ireland lost.

The front-row and back-row were particularly poor and I fear that some members of the Irish team are a little bit too comfortable. Furlong's scrummaging has been fairly average over the last 12 months. Healy has been back to his best over the last 12 months, but he had his poorest game in a while here. For the quarter final (if Ireland get there), I think I'd start a front-row of Kilcoyne, Scannell and Porter and have a fired-up Healy and Furlong on the bench.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie Brown View Post

Given the basis of the team managed to win a Grand Slam in an odd year there must be some ability there. They have also managed to beat NZ, twice out of their last three meetings. I am sure you have one of your dull axes to grind over one Ulster player or another who has been found wanting at international level, the list is long.... maybe you should look to support the team rather than turn up here and troll when thinks don’t go well.

Comment

Well where from here ?.
            if we had lost abjectly to Scotland and today got a bonus point win versus Japan our mood would be more upbeat and hopeful.
            Today was a harsh lesson but with all lessons it's how much you learn than defines how you eventually proceed .
            Has schmidt one last throw of the dice within him to raise the team again ,I hope so.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie Brown View Post

The only effective change that is being utilized successfully elsewhere is to play with a second playmaker. This isn’t something we have done, or at this stage will do under joe.

NZ have shown that it works. It should be in our arsenal somewhere especially if chasing a game but it’s not.

Comment

Lets face it, the hot conditions are a real problem for us. We needed to win the game in the first half, bests wobbly line out and that scrum in their 22 late on in the first half turned the tide which we failed to think our way out of. While we can recover and make a QF, which we might even win on a one off basis, this team is probably incapable of producing a back to back performance and go on and win a Semi.

We need to put this behind us, win the next two games and continue with the prime objective which is win a knock out game in the world cup for the first time. Its still doable

Comment

Originally posted by Heisenberg View Post
                  Lets face it, the hot conditions are a real problem for us. We needed to win the game in the first half, bests wobbly line out and that scrum in their 22 late on in the first half turned the tide which we failed to think our way out of. While we can recover and make a QF, which we might even win on a one off basis, this team is probably incapable of producing a back to back performance and go on and win a Semi.

We need to put this behind us, win the next two games and continue with the prime objective which is win a knock out game in the world cup for the first time. Its still doable

I think that’s the crux of it really.

Our game plan is to over power teams and score off physical dominance, when on days like today and against England twice this year our physicality is met or beaten we can’t find another way.

Look at NZ vs SA from day 2.
                  NZ were losing or barely holding on physically for 20 minutes but they were holding on and they have the ability to instantly punish a mistake, turn defense immediately into attack and identify space or mismatches. Two mistakes later and SA were down two tries, game over.

When a side matches us physically it’s a 50/50 and of the sides in the competition NZ, SA, England, Wales can at least match if not beat us physically, we MIGHT account for one of them in the QF but we won’t get through 3 games against that level of opponent in 3 weeks.

We have good backs, but not great backs and outside of 10 they lack creativity or the ability to make something happen.

Comment

Japan deserved that game, no question. They were on the ball all day and their aggression and speed was superb.

That being said, given the conditions would we not have been better kicking in behind an impressive rush defense? Make the ball do the work, give the forwards a breather and pin them in a bit.

Sometimes you've just got to play what you see, and it's incredible that we stuck to a clearly flawed plan right up until the end.

BTW I think Scotland will beat Japan - as bad as they are they will have learned a huge amount from our inability to play into space.

Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

With the benefit of hindsight, this was a real coaching failure by Joe Schmidt.

His squad were not fully recovered versus his opposition (with 2 days more recovery time). The weather conditions were oppressively hot & humid against opposition who are far more acclimatised to that.

Yet, despite knowing all this so well he rotated out some young guys who were playing great (I.e Conway & Larmour), for old guys (Kearney ffs & Earls). Then where he could & should have rotated imho I.e. at front row , he didn't at all (a monumental fup up imho, with all of Killer, Scannell & Porter/Ryan playing really well currently). I mean Best at 37 played 80 mins last weekend. Just silly not to rotate him at the very least. At 2nd row & back row hard to know how he could have done much more, though Tadhg Beirne you feel could have been a great starter possibly. (not at all convinced Ruddock would have done any more than POM at all, but I wouldn't have had a major issue with such a rotation tbh).

Finally, the game plan was poor. Ireland tried to play fast & furious & kept turning down kicks at goal!?

I mean ffs, your players are a bit jaded, the heat & humidity are through the roof and you're trying to score against 16 Japanese shoguns (yes 16 Lawrence, if u watch the fuppin match, and big clue for you: the extra 1 ain't the crowd ...). So just take your points. I mean it ain't rocket science is it!?

Joe Schmidt's worst performance as a coach imho. But in fairness he has been a great coach overall.
                      Last edited by Daithi; 29th-September-2019, 00:20.

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

Originally posted by Daithi View Post
                        With the benefit of hindsight, this was a real coaching failure by Joe Schmidt.

His squad were not fully recovered versus his opposition (with 2 days more recovery time). The weather conditions were oppressively hot & humid against opposition who are far more acclimatised to that.

Yet, despite knowing all this so well he rotated out some young guys who were playing great (I.e Conway & Larmour), for old guys (Kearney ffs & Earls). Then where he could & should have rotated imho I.e. at front row , he didn't at all (a monumental fup up imho, with all of Killer, Scannell & Porter/Ryan playing really well currently). I mean Best at 37 played 80 mins last weekend. Just silly not to rotate him at the very least. At 2nd row & back row hard to know how he could have done much more, though Tadhg Beirne you feel could have been a great starter possibly. (not at all convinced Ruddock would have done any more than POM at all, but I wouldn't have had a major issue with such a rotation tbh).

Finally, the game plan was poor. Ireland tried to play fast & furious & kept turning down kicks at goal!?

I mean ffs, your players are a bit jaded, the heat & humidity are through the roof and you're trying to score against 16 Japanese shoguns (yes 16 Lawrence, if u watch the fuppin match, and big clue for you: the extra 1 ain't the crowd ...). So just take your points. I mean it ain't rocket science is it!?

Joe Schmidt's worst performance as a coach imho. But in fairness he has been a great coach overall.

I watched the second half, and we were unlucky not to get a score, but it was great defense from Japan that stopped it, they completely out worked us, I have never seen our best carriers so bad, take Killer for example when he came on every time he ran he was hit by at least 2 if not 3 tacklers. They had their homework done to a T.

Jamie Joseph said a few interesting things it in the post match interviews

"we have been focusing on this for a year, they have been focusing for a week" -

"all teams go to a certain pattern under pressure"..... "they tried to take us on physically but we were prepared for that"....."big focus for us was to put two in the tackle"

I would also add the non selection of Sexton to Smidths mistakes for today, he should have been on the pitch or bench not in the stands. I don't think he would have overseen them turning over that deficit- he would also have been better able to identify space and change what we tried.
                        Last edited by lawrence; 29th-September-2019, 00:42.

Comment

Originally posted by lawrence View Post

Look at NZ vs SA from day 2.
                          NZ were losing or barely holding on physically for 20 minutes but they were holding on and they have the ability to instantly punish a mistake, turn defense immediately into attack and identify space or mismatches. Two mistakes later and SA were down two tries, game over.
                          They also didn't panic. Granted it was different stage of the match but I said to brother today that it felt like we were already against the clock even with over 15 minutes left and I think we were only 4 down at that point but we didn't look like scoring at all
                          "Some people don't know their easy lives... I wouldn't be so ungrateful" - Fiacre Ryan - #AutismAndMe

Comment

Unfortunately this loss may well have significant consequences for Ireland's chances of 1. reaching a RWC final & 2. the possibility of winning a final. Because assuming Japan go on to beat Scotland, Ireland's path to the final is then likely to be @ QF, SF & Final
                            NZ, then Eng then SA in a RWC final
                            versus
                            SA, then Aus/Wales, then NZ in a RWC final.

So yesterday's poor loss not only seriously diminished Ireland's chances in the quarterfinals but also in the semis and also in a final (cos of the more attritional matches on the now tougher side of the draw). Not good news Ted!!

P.s. the good news being that Scotland may still do us a favour!?

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

Originally posted by Daithi View Post
                              Unfortunately this loss may well have significant consequences for Ireland's chances of 1. reaching a RWC final & 2. the possibility of winning a final. Because assuming Japan go on to beat Scotland, Ireland's path to the final is then likely to be @ QF, SF & Final
                              NZ, then Eng then SA in a RWC final
                              versus
                              SA, then Aus/Wales, then NZ in a RWC final.

So yesterday's poor loss not only seriously diminished Ireland's chances in the quarterfinals but also in the semis and also in a final (cos of the more attritional matches on the now tougher side of the draw). Not good news Ted!!

P.s. the good news being that Scotland may still do us a favour!?

That would imply that Ireland had a chance of reaching a RWC final, which I've never felt was in their capability .

I'm already looking forward to the autobiographies from this squad. I've a strong feeling watching us yesterday that we didn't work mid week as we should have in the run up to a test. Schmidt, imho, took Japan, Russia and Samoa as done deals and started phasing his players towards the QF.

Heat and humidity - yes, they'll have had an impact. But having looked in prime form against Scotland, there's more to the fact that we were blowing out our arse after half an hour, surely?
                              "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Originally posted by RED 49 View Post
                                I thought that was a mistake but he did find *ringland* with a similar effort soon after.

The ability to kick the ball back in time should not be underestimated though :p

Comment

Working...
                                X