No announcement yet.

Japan v Ireland, 08.15, Sat 28 Sept

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In 20-20 retrospect, Ireland's win over a pisss-poor Scoltland last week made us look good and perhaps heralded a false dawn.
    After that display against Japan, I think we have to acknowledge the reality that we are just not as good as we think.
    In particular, Ireland lack a certain rugby smarts and the nous to play what is in front of them.
    The psychological blow to the squad must be immense and will be difficult to overcome.
    Erse end of nowhere

Comment

Let's call a spade a spade: The only one player who played at his normal level and tried to clean out the dead wood was Keith Earls. With him, James Ryan and Ian Henderson were satisfying. That's all.
      As usual, Rob Kearney forgot to make the pass ans spoiled two 2 on 1
      Jacob did nearly nothing in ttack and save a try in the first half
      Gary Ringrose had two or three flashes and wasv ery busy in defense as Chris Farrell was, but this last hit the defense like hiting a wall with the head.
      Jack Carty was quiet effective in his kickings excepted one or two times, but FFS, when you have opportunities to kick for three points, you have to take them clinically. We refused three or four times as we kicked in touch instead of trying for 3. IMHO, that's a sign of arrogance, it goes in the same way as the impression the guys did not com with the right focus and hunger, and we were punished for that.
      Conor did not have a great influence, even if he was not as slow as we saw him in the last months. All in all the half backs did not have the influence we could wait for, but that was probably because our forwards were dominated in the fight, the japanese back-rowers were not fixed enough, and were at least at the limit of the off-side with the benediction of Andrew Gardner who was once again awfull. Our back-row was dominated in speed and power. The japanese nz/saffie second rowers were a permanent poison even if ours were, once again, the best in the pack.
      And the front row was a disappointment for me, could not leave their mark on the game,
      We were under a constant pressure, were muzzled in attack, and the so often terrific, aggressive and offensive defense that is one of the marks of the irish rugby was on the other side.
      Gary Ringrose declared that "moments like these draw them closer together as a squad", but we have to forget that a win against Samoa is a due, and if such a defeat is, after all not a disaster because being confronted to the ABs or the Boks in QF won't be a sinecure, no matter who will be on the other side, in this form, with such a approach of the game, we won't have any chance. .. Exceted with a major difference: I will be impossible to look down their nose as we seemed to do today.
      This said, the defeat is still hard to swallow, and I cannot even drown it in some water of life, having giving to myself a two-months-without-alcohol challenge!.. Wretched life!
      The Scots (originally Irish, but by now Scotch) were at this time inhabiting Ireland, having driven the Irish (Picts) out of Scotland; while the Picts (originally Scots) were now Irish (living in brackets) and vice versa. It is essential to keep these distinctions clearly in mind (and verce visa).

Comment

Originally posted by RED 49 View Post
        Backrow apart from vdf were very poor and that's a real concern.
        no sob, leavy (huge loss ) tod ,and now conan gone from tournament . Murphy will prob get call up but we are down to bare bones as pom and cj looks very much off the pace as in fairness did the whole team.
        hard to understand also rory best in the team from the off today ,hes 37 and played a full 80 last day ,surely it was a chance for scannell or Cronin to start.
        baffling gameplan and game management from us we never adapted, im no rugby analyst but a good junior club wouldn't have much trouble countering our game .
        very few if any positives from an Irish perspective, congrats to Japan, a refreshing and wonderful victory for them which hurts like hell.
        I think that with 4 enforced changes in the back, and POM a last minute replacement, joe wasn’t going to rotate any more. It was the predictable and conservative selection option- based on securing 5 points, and just two players off the starting 15 he wanted last week. Deserved winners as Japan were, that low risk strategy has now blown up in our face. While I am sure we will still qualify, that was the least we should have expected. Other than Kearney, anyone else injured?

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffy View Post
          In 20-20 retrospect, Ireland's win over a pisss-poor Scoltland last week made us look good and perhaps heralded a false dawn.
          After that display against Japan, I think we have to acknowledge the reality that we are just not as good as we think.
          In particular, Ireland lack a certain rugby smarts and the nous to play what is in front of them.
          The psychological blow to the squad must be immense and will be difficult to overcome.
          Much like SA were galvanised by their loss to Japan in 2015, I expect a substantial backlash from Ireland. They will be hurting and have two games to vent their frustrations and guarantee their quarter final spot. 9 points will be enough to make the quarters 10 points and Japan will be under fierce pressure against Scotland, especially if they don’t secure a BP against Samoa. Ireland (like Munster) never play well when they think they can get away with being cute and cruising to victory. If the Irish team were England we would say they were cocky today and that bit them hard in the hole. Fortunately, a QF spot is in our own hands; finishing top of the pool is far from impossible. Japan were excellent today but that bonus point ( which Ireland didn’t really deserve if truth be told) is vital. I wouldn’t like to be Russia...
          Last edited by the plastic paddy; 28th-September-2019, 17:05.

Comment

Some of the blame the ref stuff is cringeworthy. We have had him before and don’t seem to have learned, that’s a coaching issue not a reffing issue.

The most disappointing aspect of this loss is that we know Joe won’t make the changes necessary for the next serious test we have, the QF.

Im sure any team we put out will account for Russia and Samoa, but it’s going to be back to square one for QF with players like Healy, Best, Sexton, Kearney all out of form and undroppable

Comment

Knew we'd miss Toner.

In all seriousness, Japan were impressive but we were dire for an hour. The multiple changes in the backline looks like arrogance now - appreciate you want to get Earls and Kearney up to speed but you stick with a winning team against the biggest threat in the group. There were two games to rotate lads later. Can excuse Carty for Sexton because Sexton is very fragile but otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by whimpersnap View Post
                Knew we'd miss Toner.

In all seriousness, Japan were impressive but we were dire for an hour. The multiple changes in the backline looks like arrogance now - appreciate you want to get Earls and Kearney up to speed but you stick with a winning team against the biggest threat in the group. There were two games to rotate lads later. Can excuse Carty for Sexton because Sexton is very fragile but otherwise.
                Earls was a great selection. He is still Ireland's fastest back and saved a certain try with his gas. He's tough as nails too and powerful for a man of his size and bulid. If the rest of the team had played with his commitment we would have won. Earls and Ryan would be the first names on any team sheet for me.
                Erse end of nowhere

Comment

It was gas listening to Joe refer to the short turnaround as a reason for the loss.

5 days rest is a lot more than other sides got.

The wales / Australia group was looking like the group of death, but with Fiji after losing two its pool A that will cause the biggest shocks.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffy View Post

Earls was a great selection. He is still Ireland's fastest back and saved a certain try with his gas. He's tough as nails too and powerful for a man of his size and bulid. If the rest of the team had played with his commitment we would have won. Earls and Ryan would be the first names on any team sheet for me.
                    You'll have no argument from me - he was our best players. Kearney was OK too so I'm not saying those players were the problem. But taking two guys who were on fire in Conway and Larmour out for the biggest game of the group is madness for me and, like I said, it looks like arrogance that you can just shuffle around half your backline and be grand. It's a shame Carbery didn't have gametime behind him because he would have been a better starter than Carty.

Comment

I didn’t see the game, only short highlights, but how did Carthy do?

Not his performance based based on his level because he is playing well for his level of experience, but did we suffer from having a guy start 10 that hasn’t been given minutes before today?

Comment

Originally posted by lawrence View Post
                        I didn’t see the game, only short highlights, but how did Carthy do?

Not his performance based based on his level because he is playing well for his level of experience, but did we suffer from having a guy start 10 that hasn’t been given minutes before today?
                        I thought he started really well ,he offers something different but it needs to be on the back of good set piece ball.
                        went for a cross field kick to Earl's when there were 3 points on offer ,I thought that was a mistake but he did find ringland with a similar effort soon after.
                        kicked one dead near ht which caused unnecessary pressure.
                        After that I thought he faded but the whole team effort was off so hard to blame him ,his kicking from hand in second half wasnt great

Comment

“Jack Conan’s removal from the World Cup is a crushing blow as the plan had been to drop O’Mahony and put Stander at blindside” this was the main part of Wummiskeys player rating of CJ, what an insufferable p!rick. Also gave Ringrose 8 and Ryan 7, gave Henderson and POM 3s hilarious.
                          \"Only Pienaar, Botha and Ferris would be in contention for a place on our first 15. That\'s a fact.\" - Tickettout\'s take on Ulster April 2011.

Comment

Have the Irish team the autonomy /permission to change the game plan on the pitch or do they have to stick to a structure no matter what?

Comment

Originally posted by Talking Sense View Post
                              Jack Conan’s removal from the World Cup is a crushing blow
                              Poor poor Franno2.0
                              I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by woodlawn1 View Post
                                Have the Irish team the autonomy /permission to change the game plan on the pitch or do they have to stick to a structure no matter what?
                                Bit simplistic to go that way. They clearly do change things as per game in question when its came up but the focus on a structure that should be followed and all stuff that came out from people in media/forums during Schmidts reign will hopefully end with Farrell as head coach

Comment

Working...
                                X