No announcement yet.

Japan v Ireland, 08.15, Sat 28 Sept

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A disappointing day for us but a great day for rugby to see a positive, quick rucking and offloading team succeed in a sport where pragmatic cynicism usually prospers.

I didn't think we were that bad but dropped the intensity after the 2nd try against a team having the game of their lives and per usual with Schmidt teams we struggled with a Plan B after falling behind. I hope the group can take the defeat maturely and move on, the goal was always to win a quarter final and we know they're capable of a big once off performance.

Comment

Originally posted by RED 49 View Post
      Backrow apart from vdf were very poor and that's a real concern.
      no sob, leavy (huge loss ) tod ,and now conan gone from tournament . Murphy will prob get call up but we are down to bare bones as pom and cj looks very much off the pace as in fairness did the whole team.
      hard to understand also rory best in the team from the off today ,hes 37 and played a full 80 last day ,surely it was a chance for scannell or Cronin to start.
      baffling gameplan and game management from us we never adapted, im no rugby analyst but a good junior club wouldn't have much trouble countering our game .
      very few if any positives from an Irish perspective, congrats to Japan, a refreshing and wonderful victory for them which hurts like hell.
      People are severely underestimating the impact of the conditions. No team but Japan, with the crowd behind them, can play at that pace for 80 minutes in that heat and humidity. Our back row and all of our forwards were all pretty tired by end of the first half. Not often you see James Ryan trying to take on the ball and just going straight to ground. He was spent.

Conan would have rotated in for POM if he hadn’t gotten injured. The question should be asked why Ruddock wasn’t started instead, as the next man in line.

Best was another I thought would be swapped out, and potentially one of the props and one of the locks too. We could have freshened up the pack without weakening the team much but we didn’t. That’s on Joe.

I expect the team to be physically and emotionally primed for the quarter final. We absolutely have to mix and match against Russia, them gamble and send out a second string against Samoa. No point hammering the islanders if we collapse in a heap a week later.

Time to back our squad depth to get maximum points from our remaining two games and then give everything against NZ or SA.

Comment

This is worth another watch...
        https://youtu.be/KoIL2G5p-Yg

Comment

Originally posted by glorob View Post

A game plan that works for 20 minutes is useless unless you have a Plan B to switch to as soon as Plan A stops working. Unfortunately we do not seem to have one.

We cannot blame this loss on the referee. We were shocking.
          You’re doing a disservice to both Japan and our lads. We played a very good team, playing at their absolute best, at home, in the ideal conditions for them, with a ref who was very strict with us and somewhat lenient with them.

What Plan B would have turned things around in your opinion? It’s easier said than done.

We needed to build a lead and then trust our defence when the going got tough in the last 20. That we didn’t build a big enough lead was down to errors rather than the game plan, and we ran out of steam sooner than we should have so we were hanging on too long.

I am more critical of the selection and lack of fresh legs (and fresh minds) than the game plan.

Comment

Cummiskey is awfully quiet
            \"Only Pienaar, Botha and Ferris would be in contention for a place on our first 15. That\'s a fact.\" - Tickettout\'s take on Ulster April 2011.

Comment

Originally posted by glorob View Post

A game plan that works for 20 minutes is useless unless you have a Plan B to switch to as soon as Plan A stops working. Unfortunately we do not seem to have one.

We cannot blame this loss on the referee. We were shocking.
              Japan had a game plan and they stuck to it; unfortunately so did we.

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

You’re doing a disservice to both Japan and our lads. We played a very good team, playing at their absolute best, at home, in the ideal conditions for them, with a ref who was very strict with us and somewhat lenient with them.

What Plan B would have turned things around in your opinion? It’s easier said than done.

We needed to build a lead and then trust our defence when the going got tough in the last 20. That we didn’t build a big enough lead was down to errors rather than the game plan, and we ran out of steam sooner than we should have so we were hanging on too long.

I am more critical of the selection and lack of fresh legs (and fresh minds) than the game plan.
                I'm not saying it would have worked for sure but the Plan B I would have liked to try was to slow and simple. In the second half after the Japanese players slowed down things a bit at the ruck they would fan out. Stander came straight back on the fringes a few times and got joy. We also consistently got yards off Farrell so would have liked to see more of that. So bring on the carriers early, rack them up and play off 9. A bit of possession might have seen us get a few penalties off Gardner as well. Tough to get the calls without the pill.

Comment

This Japanese side are predominently made up of the Sunwolves whose super rugby record is 8 wins from 64 games over 4 years. This season they won 2 and lost 14.

Yes, belief counts for a lot, but where was Irelands belief? We knew what we'd be up against but still had no response.
                  After the game Cian Healy said 'Japan wanted it more than we did'.

I don't think Japan will come close to beating NZ or SA if they make the QFs.

Comment

Originally posted by kahalui View Post
                    This Japanese side are predominently made up of the Sunwolves whose super rugby record is 8 wins from 64 games over 4 years. This season they won 2 and lost 14.

Yes, belief counts for a lot, but where was Irelands belief? We knew what we'd be up against but still had no response.
                    After the game Cian Healy said 'Japan wanted it more than we did'.

I don't think Japan will come close to beating NZ or SA if they make the QFs.
                    It's touched on in the squidge video above but apparently Jamie Joseph took charge of the Sunwolves 'A', pulled all the international players from club activities and they've effectively been in international training camps for the whole season and weren't featuring much or at all for the Sunwolves in Super Rugby. I had a look a few of the matchday squads on espn from the past season and didn't see Leitch, Mafi, Lemeki or Matsushima in any of them.

They've had a preparation like no other if that's the case.

Comment

Is the way to beat Japan the same as the way to beat NZ SA Eng? I don't think so no.

Will Japan and their penneyball style win the RWC? I don't think so no.

Are these related? I've no idea but it's worth a ****e post
                      I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Dowlinz View Post

It's touched on in the squidge video above but apparently Jamie Joseph took charge of the Sunwolves 'A', pulled all the international players from club activities and they've effectively been in international training camps for the whole season and weren't featuring much or at all for the Sunwolves in Super Rugby. I had a look a few of the matchday squads on espn from the past season and didn't see Leitch, Mafi, Lemeki or Matsushima in any of them.

200 days training together this year ahead of the competition
                        I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Dowlinz View Post

The Sunwolves have been cr*p for 4 years though.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post

200 days training together this year ahead of the competition
                            Something I can’t get my head around.
                            Joe said Ireland trained fully on Thursday. What does fully mean and how is anything other than a light runout what they do?

Heat, humidity, short turnarounds between games, surely less is more in the week coming up to the game.???

Comment

Originally posted by kahalui View Post

The Sunwolves have been cr*p for 4 years though.

We have been crap for one, does that mean we have another 3 to go?

Comment

Originally posted by lawrence View Post

We have been crap for one, does that mean we have another 3 to go?
                                Nah, we'll be back in flying form for our favorite tournament this time next year- The Autumn International Cup.

Comment

Working...
                                X