Japan v Ireland, 08.15, Sat 28 Sept

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japan v Ireland, 08.15, Sat 28 Sept

Japan have to be tempted to wrap up their main players for this one.

Injuries permitting, I'd like to see Joe send out the following:

Conway
    Earls Farrell Ringrose Larmour
    McGrath Carbery
    Kilcoyne Scannell Ryan
    Kleyn Beirne
    Ruddock Conan PO'M(c)

Cronin Porter Ryan Hendy VdF
    Murray Carty Stockdale

If Pete is out then VdF in at 7, Ryan in as captain for Beirne, Healy onto the bench

Happy squad with only RK and RH yet to feature...
    Last edited by ustix; 22nd-September-2019, 15:25.
    Gwan Joe!!

Think Ireland should start at full strength on Saturday, hopefully have the game wrapped up by half time and remove the key lads from the fray. Russia is a “dirt tracker” game with Samoa a mix and match, preferably not featuring Furlong, Ryan, CJ, POM, Sexton or, in less there is an injury, Murray. I strongly suspect St Joe has had his squads selected for each and every group game since about a fortnight after the pools were announced.

Comment

Originally posted by the plastic paddy View Post
      Think Ireland should start at full strength on Saturday, hopefully have the game wrapped up by half time and remove the key lads from the fray. Russia is a “dirt tracker” game with Samoa a mix and match, preferably not featuring Furlong, Ryan, CJ, POM, Sexton or, in less there is an injury, Murray. I strongly suspect St Joe has had his squads selected for each and every group game since about a fortnight after the pools were announced.
      Not at all. Would mix team up a bit. Yes russia will be dirt tracker to use another phrase but you could have some guys not playing for few weeks then and going in relatively cold for the quarter.

Comment

I think you play your best side without the two Hia lads. I would be looking at getting a good start and killing off the game early . I would still expect Japan to be really up for this. We cant let them get a sniff .
        The main lads will have enough time to rest against Samoa and Russia.
        When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect Hungry

Comment

Mix it up. If we want to go far we need options and rested and tested squad. E.g. no way Best should start, and I'd give Healy a breather also. Any of Kearney, Earls, Henshaw if fit could come in. We dont really have a best XV more of a best XXV. If Carbery is fit will be an interesting call between him and Sexton. I'd be inclined to start him.

Comment

I can see the case for making wholesale changes this weekend and then mix and mach for the next 2, but I don't think Joe will do that. I think we will have Earls and Kearney come back in, Stockdale may be the one to miss out given that he had a higher workload over the warms ups. Maybe rest Aki/POM depending on how bad the HIA1's were.

Henshaw and Carberry to be on the bench at least if they are fit.

Best getting a rest after doing the full 80 is the only other likely change.

Comment

Rest Best, Furlong, Ryan, POM, Sexton, Aki would be ideal.

Comment

Originally posted by Benji View Post
                I think you play your best side without the two Hia lads. I would be looking at getting a good start and killing off the game early . I would still expect Japan to be really up for this. We cant let them get a sniff .
                The main lads will have enough time to rest against Samoa and Russia.
                I'd agree. For a few reasons.

Firstly, we started strong against Scotland. We're traditionally manky in the first 15 minutes, and can't afford that in a QF. So the main thing to lock down now is our strongest team getting used to firing out of the blocks. This is a good chance to do so, and I'd fully expect the game to be out of Japan's reach in the first half. They cannot live with our pack's combination of set piece and mobility and we shouldn't aim to win over 80, but to blow them away asap.

Secondly, our 9/10/12/13 axis has to be humming by the QF, and we've had too much disruption to make that so. They need time.

Finally, running the starters now with a view to resting gives us 160 minutes of lads against Samoa and Russia ready to run through walls for a QF shirt.

"We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

I'd start Carty and ease Carbery into things off the bench in the second half, after his injury rehab. Why risk Sexton at all if a little rest would get him back to complete fitness.
                  Erse end of nowhere

Comment

Was it Samoa broke Carberys arm that time in an autumn international? I can't remember which island side it was
                    I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by ustix View Post
                      Japan have to be tempted to wrap up their main players for this one.
                      I don't think that is the Japanese way. Isn't respect / self respect a huge thing?
                      Seven social sins: politics without principles, wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, and worship without sacrifice

Comment

Rest Ryan, but maybe for the Samoa game.
                        Nobody matters as much to our chances as he does.

Comment

Originally posted by scotscor View Post
                          I don't think that is the Japanese way. Isn't respect / self respect a huge thing?
                          I'll take "What is Orientalism" for $500 :-)

They're big on face and dignity, but they're capable of a bit of sharp practice :-)
                          "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Ustix comment above regarding Japan’s attitudes to this game is worth a bump, I think. While losing to Ireland badly at home isn’t something they’d relish, I wonder whether the likely loss, and prospect of a single game to qualify for the quarters, must be a very real temptation. Mind you, that would assume they beat Samoa, and Scotland do, but so far we haven’t seen how Samoa shape up, wonder whether they are looking at this and thinking there’s a good possibility of sneaking up on the rails, and clean start tomorrow against Russia would spice things up nicely, but picking up anything against us will always be the hardest option.

Comment

I’d go with a strong team, Japan deserve respect based on Brighton 2015 and the fact they’re hosting.

If we pick

Healy Best Furlong Ryan Beirne Ruddock Vdf CJ Murray Sexton Earls Henshaw Ringrose Stockdale Larmour
                              Cronin Killer Ryan Kleyn Conan McGrath Carbery Conway

we should have more than enough to empty the bench by 50 mins. Samoa is the game to wrap Best, Furlong, Ryan, Murray, Sexton in cotton wool.
                              \"Only Pienaar, Botha and Ferris would be in contention for a place on our first 15. That\'s a fact.\" - Tickettout\'s take on Ulster April 2011.

Comment

Working...
                              X