• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ireland v Scotland 08.45 Sunday 22/09 Weather permitting

Let the games begin....
    Gwan Joe!!

Hopefully!! :)

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

If Earls is out Joe might go with...

Healy, Best, Furlong, Ryan, Kleyn, POM, VDF, CJ
      Murray, Sexton, Stockdale, Aki, Farrell, Conway, Larmour.

Killer, Cronin, Porter, Henderson, Beirne, McGrath, Carberry, Ringrose.

Comment

Looks like Earls may make it...hope he's fully recovered.

Comment

Given the injury update, where both Rob K and Keith are said to be fit...I think Joe will select

Murray, Sexton, Stockdale, Aki, Ringrose, Earls, Kearney

Killer, Scannell, Porter, Henderson, Beirne, McGrath, Carberry, Larmour or Conway (essential cover for Keith /Rob)- probably the former, hopefully the latter.

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post
            Given the injury update, where both Rob K and Keith are said to be fit...I think Joe will select

Killer, Scannell, Porter, Henderson, Beirne, McGrath, Carberry, Larmour or Conway (essential cover for Keith /Rob)- probably the former, hopefully the latter.
            Is it not standard Joe policy to exclude players that were not able to participate in the full weeks training?

Comment

While we all talk about potential QF’s and the hope of making a semi final, let’s not forget Scotland’s second half performance against England in the 6N, and our first and second half performance against England which was brutal.

Edinburgh and Glasgow don’t fear Irish teams and we have started poorly in big games over the last while. This is a game Scotland will have targeted from a long way out.

We have some potentially worrying aspects to our team, a shaky line out, a very very undercooked 10, 2 injured back 3 players, new second row combinations that have never played a competitive game together. Sub OH’s that are green. Without Henshaw we will start a midfield that has no chemistry.

This is could be a belter. The bookies say Ireland by 9, I think it will be closer and if we have to use our bench early it could be a disaster. Scotland +9 for me.

Comment

Originally posted by lawrence View Post
                While we all talk about potential QF’s and the hope of making a semi final, let’s not forget Scotland’s second half performance against England in the 6N, and our first and second half performance against England which was brutal.

Edinburgh and Glasgow don’t fear Irish teams and we have started poorly in big games over the last while. This is a game Scotland will have targeted from a long way out.

We have some potentially worrying aspects to our team, a shaky line out, a very very undercooked 10, 2 injured back 3 players, new second row combinations that have never played a competitive game together. Sub OH’s that are green. Without Henshaw we will start a midfield that has no chemistry.

This is could be a belter. The bookies say Ireland by 9, I think it will be closer and if we have to use our bench early it could be a disaster. Scotland +9 for me.
                I think it will be fairly close if Scotland can hang in with Ireland's pack. If Ireland can get momentum up front it will be tough for the Scots to defend for long stretches. If Scotland can't get any forward momentum from their pack it will be tough for them to unleash their backs. One thing i would worry about is the Irish backs looking for an interception. They know that Russell is going to throw it wide, but he is really good at getting the ball to his guys when it looks for all money that the ball is going to get picked off. In a tight game that sort of mistake can be very costly

Comment

Originally posted by Finnegan79 View Post

I think it will be fairly close if Scotland can hang in with Ireland's pack. If Ireland can get momentum up front it will be tough for the Scots to defend for long stretches. If Scotland can't get any forward momentum from their pack it will be tough for them to unleash their backs. One thing i would worry about is the Irish backs looking for an interception. They know that Russell is going to throw it wide, but he is really good at getting the ball to his guys when it looks for all money that the ball is going to get picked off. In a tight game that sort of mistake can be very costly
                  Russell is playing well, and tbh Sexton is a major worry for me. I thought he was very poor versus Wales, looked way off the mark. Made some terrible errors. It’s one of the biggest problems we have going into the RWC that he has only had one warm up game, I’m surprised more isn’t being said about it.

Comment

Originally posted by lawrence View Post

Russell is playing well, and tbh Sexton is a major worry for me. I thought he was very poor versus Wales, looked way off the mark. Made some terrible errors. It’s one of the biggest problems we have going into the RWC that he has only had one warm up game, I’m surprised more isn’t being said about it.
                    Russell can be a wonderful player- but despite his form Jonny is more dependable. There isn’t more made of his selection despite lack of playing time is because (a) we all know it’s a matter of time before he has to go off injured, playing more probably increases the risk of this happens before he establishes a winning platform in a meaningful game, (b) joey hasn’t played enough through injury/fragility to give us much confidence that he will last the course, (c) all other alternatives are at best fair, and don’t carry the reputation that the opposition has to worry about, (d) he plays near where most of the nations media live and work (there is no equivalent of Toner’s non selection, but the coverage seems to me to have exceed the total criticism of all other exclusions put together). U fortunately we are in the situation of having to perm two outstanding, but borderline fit, choices with someone fit, competent, but more limited. Don’t see what else Joe could do. It’s not as if TB or JJ put their hands up.

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

According to the press reports seems unlikely Earls and Kearney will be fit, we're down three backs before it even kicks off. All soft tissue injuries. Makes you wonder what have Jason Cowman & his S&C guys been doing with them. Carty set to be the only fit back not directly involved on Sunday and imagine he’ll be on standby just in case. POM might yet get a second cap on the wing.

Personally would be surprised to see Kleyn start ahead of Henderson and suspect he might not be in the 23 for this one. I think they’ll start Henderson and go with Beirne on the bench. Will be interesting to see who he goes for at 6/7/8, especially against the Scots and their ability to slow things on the ground, don’t know if anyone really nailed on in the back row given form shown in the build up games and certain players being tried in multiple positions.

Comment

Originally posted by LongtimeLurker View Post

According to the press reports seems unlikely Earls and Kearney will be fit, we're down three backs before it even kicks off. All soft tissue injuries. Makes you wonder what have Jason Cowman & his S&C guys been doing with them. Carty set to be the only fit back not directly involved on Sunday and imagine he’ll be on standby just in case. POM might yet get a second cap on the wing.

Personally would be surprised to see Kleyn start ahead of Henderson and suspect he might not be in the 23 for this one. I think they’ll start Henderson and go with Beirne on the bench. Will be interesting to see who he goes for at 6/7/8, especially against the Scots and their ability to slow things on the ground, don’t know if anyone really nailed on in the back row given form shown in the build up games and certain players being tried in multiple positions.
                        I wonder who is a better winger? Luke McGrath or Marmion?

Comment

Originally posted by LongtimeLurker View Post

Not sure what your sources are but RTÉ says ‘Andy Farrell has declared Rob Kearney and Keith Earls available for selection for Ireland's World Cup opener against Scotland.’

Comment

Ireland to win handy........
                            Anybody who sees a psychiatrist would want their head examined. &nb sp;Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by cornerboy View Post
                              Ireland to win handy........
                              That's how I see it but hadn't the neck to call it.
                              37-20
                              Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Working...
                              X