Warm-down 4 Ire v Wal Bóthar Lansdún Sat 7 Sept 1pm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

Yeah, VdF is a good link man and tackles all day long but he doesn't do that much over the ball. CJ and Conan will have to do a lot of work this weekend.

I'd be happier with the balance of that back row if it was Leavy at 7, but no harm in trying it out. I suspect we'll see POM back in at 6 or 7 for Scotland, and I think CJ will start that game too, just depends on whether it's at 6 or 8.
    The funny thing about VDF is a couple of seasons ago (not sure exactly when) circa 2016/17 he was carrying ball ridiculously well, picking fantastic lines and breaking through organised defences. Hes not doing that at the moment and needs to do more poaching but you cant fault his work rate and dedication. He was class vs NZ last year. No way has Conan done enough to warrant POM taking VDFs jersey.
    \"Only Pienaar, Botha and Ferris would be in contention for a place on our first 15. That\'s a fact.\" - Tickettout\'s take on Ulster April 2011.

Comment

Originally posted by Talking Sense View Post

The funny thing about VDF is a couple of seasons ago (not sure exactly when) circa 2016/17 he was carrying ball ridiculously well, picking fantastic lines and breaking through organised defences. Hes not doing that at the moment and needs to do more poaching but you cant fault his work rate and dedication. He was class vs NZ last year. No way has Conan done enough to warrant POM taking VDFs jersey.
      It's a good point. Was a great man to pop up on a shoulder or come back against the grain and break the line. He has been pretty quiet for a while now.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffy View Post

I think this is a key point. I like Henshaw - he's big, strong and has some footballing skills. He will not let the side down and always gives 100%. But his lack of real pace at the international level has been apparent for a while, and there is no real substitute for genuine gas. I do not think he has delivered on his early promise. The midfield of Aki/Henshaw is a powerful combination, but is a tad blunt in the creative attack department. I'd love to see the ball in the hands of Earls and Stockdale at every opportunity, but don't think that this midfield pairing is the duo to get it done. That said, Ringrose is a tad off form and Farrell is still a bit of a mixed bag. I would have liked to see Addison in the squad for his speed, flair, footballing/playmaking ability and the X factor. Aki/Henshaw/Farrell are all a bit similar and I think Joe could have dropped one of them in favour of Addison (but which one ??)
        Will be interesting to see how Aki/Henshaw shape up against the well-rounded and experienced Welsh centres, Davies and Parkes, this wekend. I am not that optimistic, but hope for the best. To Aki's credit, I was surprised that he was able to beat Daly on the outside for a try against England; this, followed by a strong performance against Wales probably nailed him on to the squad.
        I get your point about no substitute for pace. Thing with Henshaw is when he emerged he was a real creative option from full back or 13. Its only really last couple of years that that has changed. Getting ball to Earls/Stockdale at every opportunity is fine but how much do you change elsewhere for that to happen.
        I dont think Addison is an X factor playyer at the higher level

Comment

Originally posted by Talking Sense View Post

I would be surprised if Ringrose has done that, for sure he hasnt played well the past few months but I would have thought hes a firm favourite with Joe, in our GS he was a great second distributor. Henshaw looked very slow last 6N, unless hes worked very hard on that I wouldnt fancy him out wide anywhere tbh.
          In contrast to Henshaw, Farrell is deceptively quick for such a big guy because he's not carrying unnatural bulk for his frame. He's just a big boned, brawny kind of lad. He really covers the ground and has good acceleration. He didn't have a great game in attack against Wales but some of his defence was excellent. He has the pace to chase guys down when we're scrambling and he can get off the line really well.

Henshaw used to be a very good outside centre/fullback and I don't think he's become slow due to age. I think he's just a bit bigger now and conditioned to smashing it up at 12. With a bit of trimming down I think he's young enough to get his speed back.

Killer, Aki, CJ and a few others look leaner than I've seen them in a while. Aki looks quick and agile, as he showed when beating Daly on the outside, and Killer has lost the spare tyre. I'm keen to see if Henshaw has done the same, and if CJ is a bit more lively than he was against England (no heavy legs this week).

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

It's a good point. Was a great man to pop up on a shoulder or come back against the grain and break the line. He has been pretty quiet for a while now.
            Yes, I think it was Toulouse or Toulon he kept coming from the outside on a diagonal line and the defender wouldnt see him, he was terrific. Pity thats gone.
            \"Only Pienaar, Botha and Ferris would be in contention for a place on our first 15. That\'s a fact.\" - Tickettout\'s take on Ulster April 2011.

Comment

Originally posted by The Last Stand View Post

I am wondering is the plan to have a back row of POM, Christmas and Conan. With Henderson and Ryan in the second row, there is a lot of power and 3 solid line out options.
              Ryan Kleyn
              Hendo Pete CJ

wreck the Scottish ball, lineout and scrum
              I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post

Ryan Kleyn
                Hendo Pete CJ

Beirne at 6 maybe?

Comment

Ryan Kleyn
                  Hendo Pete CJ

That's our best back 5 of the pack imho. This 5 & Utilising Beirne off the bench, makes Ireland a much better proposition imho...

=> more runners, more jumpers, more power and a far more combative unit all round. We need a pack selected like this imho

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

Ryan Kleyn
                    Hendo Pete CJ

Hendo was a very good 6 - it might even be his best position, where he has an extra yard or two to get up a bit of a gallop on the carry. He has not played there for a while but I'm still sure he could do the job. Schmidt is more likely to keep trying Beirne at 6, though that may well change now that Ruddock is named in the RWC squad. (I seem to be one of the few who likes Ruddock's selection - a tough, hard nosed flanker who will get stuck in.)
                    Beirne is a bit different from the other Ireland forwards. I think to get the best out of him, Schmidt should give him a loose roving comission to do what he wants and play it by ear, rather than by numbers. He is the kind of player who could change the course of a game with a few key plays, though he might be something of a gamble against a massive pack like the Boks.
                    Erse end of nowhere

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post

I'd not be too quick to put it down to physical decline. I think he's rebuilding his game a bit - taking it away from the box kicking that he's been focussed on for some years now. And - for both Munster and Ireland - he's played behind packs that are visibly struggling against top class teams.

Hard to break from 9 when Tadgh is being landed on his arse 2 feet behind you in the carry.
                      That was in one game with Tadgh. He’s rebuilding his game ? He’s no golfer .

Yes cut out the kicking but doesn’t mean he slows down the pass and stops making breaks
                      Last edited by Benji; 6th-September-2019, 21:48.
                      When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect Hungry

Comment

I think that what England have done to us twice, what SA are liable to do and our struggles getting shoved back on our arses in 2019 that there's a case for picking the heaviest bastards weve got.

I think it's why Rhys got picked, and Farrell.

I'd be all for picking 3 locks tbh. More grunt, more bollox
                        I am the million man.

Comment

[QUOTE=Spiffy;n2575926]

Schmidt should give Hendo a loose roving comission to do what he wants and play it by ear, rather than by numbers.
                          [QUOTE]

Yes, Spiffy but Joe doesn't do that sort or thing. It has to be " by the numbers" or you don't get your game.

Comment

I don’t buy into this Beirne is too small BS, last weekend welsh front 5 forwards were running into Beirne, he was standing fairly upright and hitting them, stopping them in their tracks and then driving them back.

Comment

I think that what England have done to us twice, what SA are liable to do and our struggles getting shoved back on our arses in 2019 that there's a case for picking the heaviest bastards weve got.

I think it's why Rhys got picked, and Farrell.

I'd be all for picking 3 locks tbh. More grunt, more bollox
                              I really dont see how going toe to toe with biggest team is answer to try beat South Africans. You have to play clever against them and picking more grunt, more bollox to use your words plays entirely into their hands

Comment

Originally posted by Piquet View Post
                                Yes, Spiffy but Joe doesn't do that sort or thing. It has to be " by the numbers" or you don't get your game.
                                Think thats a very lazy completely incorrect assessment of him. Schmidt is demanding and wants to play specific way but to dismiss it as by the numbers is load of crap

Comment

Working...
                                X