Warm-down 4 Ire v Wal Bóthar Lansdún Sat 7 Sept 1pm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Daithi View Post

Henderson has been selected and been outstanding as a test Lion at 6 iirc. This boy can play 6 and at the highest level & intensity & prosper!!

We'll never know what he'll be like for Ireland at 6 if he's never fuppin selected there.

Ditto to Conway at 15. I'd wager 2 games of Conway at 15 and not even Leinster lovers would be asking for the diesel engine one back.

World Cups are hard attritional affairs, so older, average players like Best & Kearney are likely to both underperform &/or get crocked or not recover properly between games. Much better to be proactive in picking younger in form players (e.g Scannell & Conway) in their place at this stage imho.

P.s. OL I never want Rob K to play poorly like you try to lamely assert. In fact my post specifically stated that he played well this Saturday gone (still not as well as Conway has been playing imho). So do try to play the ball & not the man, like a good l fella....
    How often recently has Henderson played 6 though. Has he been training to play there or focusing on it at all?
    He isnt selected for Ireland at 6 as there's a lot more better options and guys who play there more often
    You are over estimating Conway a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by ormond lad View Post
      You are over estimating Conway a bit.
      Really, I watched last Saturday as Conway showed the best attacking play we've seen from an Ireland back field since Zebo in the 2015 6Ns.

Conway and Ireland deserve him being selected as an offensive 15 imho. Fitter, faster and better imho.

P.s. I take your (valid) points re Henderson at 6 I guess I'm just saying what i would like to see, rather than what JS is likely to select (more of the same hum drum selection, with likely the same hum drum like performances I.e. an under powered back row, less power in the pack overall, one less ball carrier and losing more collisions while making way more tackles.... boring, boring arsenal and woefully ineffective to date in 2019!!!)

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

Henderson has been selected and been outstanding as a test Lion at 6 iirc. This boy can play 6 and at the highest level & intensity & prosper!!

We'll never know what he'll be like for Ireland at 6 if he's never fuppin selected there! Will we!?!

Now that we've a few more locks & a few less physical back rows might be a good time to let him wreck his havoc at 6 again. He's a top class 6 when selected there

Ditto to Conway at 15. I'd wager 2 games of Conway at 15 and not even Leinster lovers would be asking for the diesel engined one back.

World Cups are hard attritional affairs, so older, average players like Best & Kearney are likely to both underperform &/or get crocked &/or not recover properly between games. This will hamper Ireland imho. Much better to be proactive now by picking younger, better, more in form players (e.g Scannell & Conway) in their place at this stage imho.

P.s. OL I never want Rob K to play poorly like you try to lamely assert. In fact my post specifically stated that he played quite well this Saturday gone (still not as well as Conway has been playing imho). So do try to play the ball & not the man, if you can, like a good l fella....
        I think Henderson could work at 6 but only if Leavy was at 7 and Stander at 8. That would leave Henderson to do a lot of ruck work with Leavy as the poacher and link man letting Stander play wrecking ball. For now anyway I doubt we'll see him anywhere but second row.
        He's a guy who gets up at six o'clock in the morning regardless of what time it is.

Comment

Originally posted by redherring View Post

I think Henderson could work at 6 but only if Leavy was at 7 and Stander at 8. That would leave Henderson to do a lot of ruck work with Leavy as the poacher and link man letting Stander play wrecking ball. For now anyway I doubt we'll see him anywhere but second row.
          Yes. If Joe is going toplay any lock at 6 it will be Beirne.
          Erse end of nowhere

Comment

Henderson letting loose

https://youtu.be/smADuO5Lb6g

Pick him at 6, Pom at 7, so then you've added another strike runner, lineout option, more power and more aggression overall versus say VdF w Hendo stuck in the row. You ask POM & CJ to cover more ground and jackaling (I.e. to share traditional 7 duties).

This will be my last post on this for a while(as JS is unlikely to opt for it) , but if it were me, this simple selection change could help solve a multitude of issues with the Irish pack, evident for 9 months now e.g. adding more power runners, bigger collision capability, another outstanding lineout option, extra high lifter also, aggression everywhere, general gouging and Lions test level street smarts @ 6 & 7. All good imho.

P s. Exactly the kind of player you'd want at 6 versus SA (or Eng or Wales... or any big side tbh!!)

P.p.s. we've a few extra physical locks and a few less physical back rows (I.e. no Leavy or SOB) @ this RWC. So this change would go a good ways to restoring the power & traditional strengths of the Irish pack e.g. strong lineout, physicality, collision capability& power running. Much needed too!
            Last edited by Daithi; 10th-September-2019, 21:01.

Comment

Ireland played well but Wales showed nothing and had no bite in them . They weren’t their usual selves
              When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect Hungry

Comment

Originally posted by Benji View Post
                Ireland played well but Wales showed nothing and had no bite in them . They weren’t their usual selves
                That might be (at least partially) because Ireland had them under the pump and prevented them from playing their usual game.
                Erse end of nowhere

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffy View Post

That might be (at least partially) because Ireland had them under the pump and prevented them from playing their usual game.
                  possibly but we were losing at half time and wales definitely dropped a level of intensity in the second half . Ireland can only play one way. Press defence , box kicks for an aerial challenge and sexton's positional kicking to put ourselves in bashing range

Our back-row don't carry. Stander not worth his place. Conan well below par currently. POM doesn't carry. Leavy a huge loss . Kleyn if he was irish wouldn't be in the squad. Only KIlcoyne playing at his best level currently. Best not worth his place either .

I just can't see that pack coming next to near NZ or SA. Bundee Aki will be found out defensively against a top class side in my opinion.

I always knew Madigan was a closet Scrum Half. Ignore All things that suggest Continuity.

Comment

Originally posted by The Outlaw View Post

possibly but we were losing at half time and wales definitely dropped a level of intensity in the second half . Ireland can only play one way. Press defence , box kicks for an aerial challenge and sexton's positional kicking to put ourselves in bashing range

Our back-row don't carry. Stander not worth his place. Conan well below par currently. POM doesn't carry. Leavy a huge loss . Kleyn if he was irish wouldn't be in the squad. Only KIlcoyne playing at his best level currently. Best not worth his place either .

I just can't see that pack coming next to near NZ or SA. Bundee Aki will be found out defensively against a top class side in my opinion.

Here's another way to look at it - Healy, Furlong, Ryan and Henderson are all top class and would challenge for a slot in most international teams. That's half the pack right there (and all those four can carry). Stander is a very good 8 when in top form, and has carried powerfully in that position in the past. Good enough to play for the Lions .I would keep him at 8 instead of Conan and hope for a return of form. POM is not a strong carrier, but makes up for it by his lineout nicking and is an all-round pest to the opposition (again - I hope he regains form.) Agree that Leavy is a huge loss, but VdF is a pretty good all-action 7 and looks as though he is on the road to form again too.
                    So, all-in-all, I don't think that things are all that bad up front. (I am hoping the England game was a blip.)
                    I would be more worried about the backs and the lack of a fast, smart, play-making centre who could get the best out of Earls and Stockdale.
                    Erse end of nowhere

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffy View Post
                      Here's another way to look at it - Healy, Furlong, Ryan and Henderson are all top class and would challenge for a slot in most international teams. That's half the pack right there (and all those four can carry). Stander is a very good 8 when in top form, and has carried powerfully in that position in the past. Good enough to play for the Lions .I would keep him at 8 instead of Conan and hope for a return of form. POM is not a strong carrier, but makes up for it by his lineout nicking and is an all-round pest to the opposition (again - I hope he regains form.) Agree that Leavy is a huge loss, but VdF is a pretty good all-action 7 and looks as though he is on the road to form again too.
                      So, all-in-all, I don't think that things are all that bad up front. (I am hoping the England game was a blip.)
                      I would be more worried about the backs and the lack of a fast, smart, play-making centre who could get the best out of Earls and Stockdale.
                      On your last point Spiffy, that could be Joey with 25 mins to go
                      Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Ringrose??? If he doesn't start anyway. Back subs probably (for the big games) Marmion, Carbery and either Conway (covers wing/full back) or Ringrose (covers centre/wing/outhalf at a stretch).
                        "They’re the benchmark that everyone else has to raise their game to meet." Alan Quinlan on Leinster

Comment

Originally posted by offshorerules View Post
                          Ringrose??? If he doesn't start anyway. Back subs probably (for the big games) Marmion, Carbery and either Conway (covers wing/full back) or Ringrose (covers centre/wing/outhalf at a stretch).
                          Marmion on the bench would be quite a surprise, especially for McGrath.

Comment

Originally posted by The Outlaw View Post

So who do you suggest at 8 if one isn't worth his place and the other is below par?
                            He's a guy who gets up at six o'clock in the morning regardless of what time it is.

Comment

Originally posted by offshorerules View Post
                              ....Back subs probably (for the big games) Marmion, Carbery and either Conway (covers wing/full back) or Ringrose (covers centre/wing/outhalf at a stretch).
                              ehhh Marmion would struggle to bench for the big games, unless of course he sits on one during the games back in Galway, where he has been left, to try to make your post reflect the real world!?!
                              .....Duh!!! )

P.s. hilarious ))

Comment

ehhh Marmion would struggle to bench for the big games, unless of course he sits on one during the games back in Galway, where he has been left, to try to make your post reflect the real world!?!
                                .....Duh!!! )

P.s. hilarious ))
                                Doh!!! My mistake meant McGrath.
                                "They’re the benchmark that everyone else has to raise their game to meet." Alan Quinlan on Leinster

Comment

Working...
                                X