No announcement yet.

Warm-down 4 Ire v Wal Bóthar Lansdún Sat 7 Sept 1pm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still, for those trying to read the runes as we gear up for the World Cup in two weeks, it may be worth noting that, since the rankings system was introduced in 2003, and apart from South Africa in 2007, every tournament has been won by the team ranked No 1 in the world heading into the World Cup.​ from NZ Herald..

Comment

Originally posted by Heisenberg View Post

Stringer is a personality vacuum and shouldn’t be on TV
      I'd prefer to hear from Stringer than a lot of the other ex player pundits. If he's a personality vacuum, what does that make Luke, Shaggy, BOD, Quinnie... etc?

Comment

Originally posted by kahalui View Post

Thought he went well overall.
        If by well you mean ‘ordinary’ then I agree re Conan. He certainly did not do enough to be a starter on the 1st XV...IMHO.

Comment

I have been very hawkish about this World Cup and still have concerns in respect of some players (Best).

But - I am becoming more hopeful. Tough calls were made this week. The coach wants to play more positively and has Carbery in mind. Very encouraged that players like Murray and Henshaw are getting their groove back.

Comment

Very encouraging performance. Wales are going to make a serious impact at this World Cup and bar the intercept really couldn’t really create anything.

If Ryan gets a half decent injury free run in the next few years, he will be a great of the game.

Comment

Ireland 19 Wales 10: Ireland player ratings

Gavin Cummiskey runs the rule over Joe Schmidt’s men in farewell before Japan

Gavin Cummiskey at the Aviva Stadium

15 Rob Kearney
              Reads this game better than anyone else. Out sprinted George North to deny the Welsh winger a certain try on four minutes. Textbook high fielding and slipped past Jonathan Davies for 14th international try. Rating: 8.

14 Jordan Larmour
              Turnover on 43 minutes was roundly appreciated by the Irish forwards. If Earls injury is serious he’s competing with Andrew Conway and Garry Ringrose to start on right wing against Scotland. Rating: 6.

13 Robbie Henshaw
              Superb. Symbiotic relationship with old Connacht mucker Bundee Aki could alter the starting midfield but it was the cover tackle on Dan Biggar that emphasizes his importance to the Irish defence. And he plays a mean accordion. Rating: 9.

12 Bundee Aki
              Can do no more to secure the 12 jersey in Japan with 13 carries for 28 metres coupled with awareness to offload and a defensive work rate that was off the charts. Rating: 8.

11 Keith Earls
              Injured left knee. Tricky day keeping tabs on big George North but skipped up field, four carries for 27 metres, when offered a chink of light. Rating: 6.

10 Johnny Sexton
              Shaky introduction to the season. Intercepted by Biggar, saved by Henshaw and Kearney, and was in all sorts of agony after running into Jake Ball 121kg embrace on 38 minutes. Rating: 6.

9 Conor Murray
              Simple, efficient performance was precisely what Ireland needed as the Munster and Lions scrumhalf starts his rise from provincial to world calibre standards before September is over. Rating: 6.

1 Cian Healy
              Welcome return after ankle scare at Twickenham. Took leave of the fight at half-time – not before seven punishing tackles – due to a head injury assessment. Rating: 6. 2

Rory Best

Fitting send off on 52 minutes as every man, woman and child rose to their feet. First two lineout throws sparked Welsh attacks as the James Ryan calling era got off to a poor start. The pair of them recovered with Best’s last performance at the Aviva stadium belying his 37 years. Rating: 7.

3 Tadhg Furlong
              That’s more like it. After being man handled by Sam Underhill at Twickenham he was hunting collisions and got rewarded when bashing through three red jerseys for a 51st minute try. Rating: 7.

4 James Ryan
              Fantastic try. After two miscues he called the lineout on himself. Otherwise, supreme. Always clocks out with double figure statistics – 10 carries for 12 metres and 10 tackles. Irreplaceable. Rating: 9.

5 Jean Kleyn
              More still needed to justify selection. 10 tackles in the first half exhibited his hardness but coughed up possession in the carry and gave up a needless penalty for side entry into the maul. Rating: 7.

6 CJ Stander
              After all those backward strides last season at number eight, the switch to blindside simplified and improved his game no end. Powerful in contact either side of the ball. Rating: 7.

7 Josh van der Flier
              The undisputed Irish openside when the opposition isn’t as physically dominant as England or South Africa. Enormous impact all over the field with fend on Davies, gallop and offload to Larmour raising the nation’s collective spirit. Rating: 8.

8 Jack Conan
              Good control at base of scrum, but more is needed from him. The form witnessed in Leinster blue at the tail end of last season must reappear. Team needs his 15 carries for 11 metres to multiply. Rating: 6.

Bench
              Cruiserweight bench with Iain Henderson, Dave Kilcoyne, Sean Cronin, Rhys Ruddock and Andrew Porter bringing the type of brawn needed against whichever, South Africa or New Zealand, heavyweight goliaths are waiting in the quarter-final. Rating: 7.

Coach
              Joe Schmidt 2010-2019; the best and most demanding days Irish rugby has ever known. Constant mentions of Garry Ringrose being Mr Versatile is almost preparing everyone for his selection as a reserve but Earls injury may alter this. Rating: 9.
              Last edited by Cowboy; 8th-September-2019, 07:33.
              I am the million man.

Comment

You’d just hope that Schmidt’s obvious obsession with the QF which is most likely against the resurgent Boks explains the decision to go for power and bulk with his 31 selection with Ruddock and Klane. This is perfectly fine given Joe Schmidt knows what he doing. I think we all fear another QF exit and in the event that we somehow knockout a NZ or SA, then we can have a crack at winning the thing.

At this stage I believe the QF, assuming we win our group, will be against NZ.

If it is, those two victories over them since 2015 will be crucial. And our confidence is coming back, so all to play for. Half full that glass imo.
                "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
                Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Comment

Still, for those trying to read the runes as we gear up for the World Cup in two weeks, it may be worth noting that, since the rankings system was introduced in 2003, and apart from South Africa in 2007, every tournament has been won by the team ranked No 1 in the world heading into the World Cup.​ from NZ Herald..
                  that sequence will definitely be broken this time round as this irish side won't see the semi finals
                  I always knew Madigan was a closet Scrum Half. Ignore All things that suggest Continuity.

Comment

Originally posted by blackwarrior View Post

At this stage I believe the QF, assuming we win our group, will be against NZ.

If it is, those two victories over them since 2015 will be crucial. And our confidence is coming back, so all to play for. Half full that glass imo.
                    that's an interesting viewpoint .

IN my estimation this Irish side is a Johnny sexton injury away from not making it out of the Pool. Back-row not good enough- leavy is irreplaceable, stander not good enough , scrum half way below standard, no settled midfield partnership and a coach who is starting to second guess himself as he has one foot out the door.

I'd say putting the mortgage on the NZ or SA beating Ireland in the quarter final is like printing money
                    I always knew Madigan was a closet Scrum Half. Ignore All things that suggest Continuity.

Comment

Originally posted by The Outlaw View Post

I'd say putting the mortgage on the NZ or SA beating Ireland in the quarter final is like printing money
                      :_wave__rvmp_by_bad_

They will probably be favourites, but if you think that’s a sure fire way to make money, I’ve an email from a Nigerian prince to send onto you.

Comment

Originally posted by The Outlaw View Post

that's an interesting viewpoint .

IN my estimation this Irish side is a Johnny sexton injury away from not making it out of the Pool. Back-row not good enough- leavy is irreplaceable, stander not good enough , scrum half way below standard, no settled midfield partnership and a coach who is starting to second guess himself as he has one foot out the door.

On what basis do you possibly think that we'd lose to both Japan and Scotland?

Comment

For anyone who missed it

Comment

Originally posted by In Joe we trust View Post

On what basis do you possibly think that we'd lose to both Japan and Scotland?
                            ​​​​​​If Jonny gets injured and Joey doesn't recover in time, we are in what a former Boss of mine used to call the Manure Business.

Comment

Originally posted by Piquet View Post

​​​​​​If Jonny gets injured and Joey doesn't recover in time, we are in what a former Boss of mine used to call the Manure Business.
                              Carty will do fine in those circumstances

Comment

Yes but who will be brought on after an hour?

Comment

Working...
                                X