Warm-up 3) Wails and Ireland - Saturday 2.30 on C4 and Millenipalitystad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lawrence View Post
    That might be an experimental Welsh team, but it’s one hell of a BR they have named
    Decent back row but overall a rubbish side. Should win this won comfortable enough. Happy with my +8 bet from earlier in the week.

Comment

So it was exactly as leaked with the exception of Dave Kearney on the bench ahead of Ross Byrne.

Addison, Conway, Stockdale, Aki, Farrell, Carty, Marmion, Kilcoyne, Scannell, Ryan, Henderson, Ryan, Beirne, O'Mahony, Conan

subs. Porter, Best, Furlong, Toner, Murphy, McGrath, Ringrose, Kearney
      Last edited by barryfitz87; 29th-August-2019, 12:57.

Comment

Originally posted by barryfitz87 View Post
        So it was exactly as leaked with the exception of Dave Kearney on the bench ahead of Ross Byrne.

Addison, Conway, Stockdale, Aki, Farrell, Carty, Marmion, Kilcoyne, Scannell, Ryan, Henderson, Ryan, Beirne, O'Mahony, Conan

subs. Porter, Best, Furlong, Toner, Murphy, McGrath, Ringrose, Kearney
        Who goes to 10 if Carty takes a knock? Conway? Marmion?

Comment

Originally posted by kahalui View Post

Addison or ringrose

Comment

Originally posted by kahalui View Post

According to Joe Ringrose can play there, did so in school (I believe he said), or Addison.

Comment

Plenty of beef in the pack and the back line is interesting. Addison is a good footballer with tons of pace. I hope he's been given license to do more than run it back into contact and recycle.

Comment

Originally posted by barryfitz87 View Post

According to Joe Ringrose can play there, did so in school (I believe he said), or Addison.
                So with 3 of our 4 10s on the treatment table, who would be next up ?
                JJ Hanrahan ?
                Ciaran Frawley ?
                Bill Johnston / Lowry ?
                Scannell ?
                A desperate call to Ian Madigan ?
                An even more desperate call to Paddy Jackson ? (can't see that happening)

Of the above, I think I'd look at Madigan - although he's not even first choice at Briston now :-(

Comment

Originally posted by blueberry View Post

So with 3 of our 4 10s on the treatment table, who would be next up ?
                  JJ Hanrahan ?
                  Ciaran Frawley ?
                  Bill Johnston / Lowry ?
                  Scannell ?
                  A desperate call to Ian Madigan ?
                  An even more desperate call to Paddy Jackson ? (can't see that happening)

Of the above, I think I'd look at Madigan - although he's not even first choice at Briston now :-(
                  Hanrahan or Cooney possibly.
                  He's a guy who gets up at six o'clock in the morning regardless of what time it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Isa View Post

Decent back row but overall a rubbish side. Should win this won comfortable enough. Happy with my +8 bet from earlier in the week.
                    You won’t be if anything happens to Carthy, and I reckon betting against Wales at home is a very risky business, wouldnt be surprised if they were in the lead for long periods of the game.
                    Last edited by lawrence; 29th-August-2019, 14:11.

Comment

Originally posted by Isa View Post

Gatland knows that if you slow Ireland’s ball at the breakdown, you stop them playing. The back row is key to that.

Comment

Funny that this Irish team contains only 4 of what would be considered our 'first' team, yet I'm more optimistic about this match than I would be if the first team were playing - probably suffering from the delusion that good performances would effect change, but I honestly think, given current form, this is a good team.
                        Selected 'First'
                        Addison Kearney I like Addison at full back even if he's played more centre recently, and he offers more going forward (even if Kearney isn't quite as bad as we like to claim). Lets see if he's as quick as people say.
                        Conway Earls Earls is better, but Conway is still very good and in good form
                        Farrell Ringrose The likely space in this match might have suited Ringrose more, but Farrell is quick, able to make tough yards and offload if people are willing to run off him.
                        Aki Aki
                        Stockdale Stockdale
                        Carty Sexton Sexton may be a class apart when on form, but he's not and Carty has been very good at pretty much all aspects of OH play (Joe mentioned his defense - always a good sign !) but especially tactical kicking.
                        Marmion Murray Wasn't a big fan of Marmion, but I've come around in the last year or so. He always seems to speed up our recycle, defends well (esp. against New Zealand !) and Murray still seems a little off form
                        Kilcoyne Healy Would always choose Healy, but tomorrows game should suit Killer - I expect to see some quality Killer carrying
                        Scannell Best Best on the way down, Scannell on the way up, with better darts and no Alun Wyn Jones, should be able to make an impression.
                        Ryan Furlong Furlong like Sexton is a class apart, but his form has also not been quite what it was, and Ryan is bloody good !
                        Henderson Toner Toner better at lineouts, scrums, mauls (and maul defence). Against England/SA a definite starter, but against an AWJ-free experimental Wales, the game should be made for Henderson
                        Ryan Ryan
                        Beirne P'OM Expect some turnovers, strong carrying and offloads. If we use Beirne right could be a huge plus, and we still have P'OM on the other flank.
                        P'OM VdF Like Ringrose, this game would have suited VdF, but we now have 4 lineout operators and I'd expect P'OM to have a license to tackle anything that moves (iirc he normally doesn't) and generate statistics to silence the critics !
                        Conan Stander Stander has either not been in good form or has been well marshalled. Didn't think Conan would make it as an international, but he seems to get better every time I see hime play and his athleticism should really suit tomorrow. He's the form No 8 regardless.
                        'mon Ireland !

Comment

I think what we are seeing here is very close to the team that will start against Russia / Samoa

Comment

Wales are putting out a good back row, but the rest of the team look like second/third stringers.
                            So if Ireland do manage a win here, not sure how much that will tell Joe Schmidt.
                            I feel he will still revert to his tried and trusted (but jaded) regulars as first choice in big games.
                            That's the kind of conservative coach he is.
                            Erse end of nowhere

Comment

Maybe an unpopular opinion but I still feel Rory Best is far ahead of the others as our best hooker. Far too much is said about his age and far too little on the alternatives inadequacies, they've all ultimately done nothing to displace him.
                              Also, I don't remember the same sort of pressure on Mealamu in the last world cup despite being a similar age in the same position.

Comment

Originally posted by Dowlinz View Post
                                Maybe an unpopular opinion but I still feel Rory Best is far ahead of the others as our best hooker. Far too much is said about his age and far too little on the alternatives inadequacies, they've all ultimately done nothing to displace him.
                                Also, I don't remember the same sort of pressure on Mealamu in the last world cup despite being a similar age in the same position.
                                He’s under pressure because he hasn’t been playing well for a while now and he had a lineout meltdown at the weekend. That’s probably partly due to age, but the cause is fairly irrelevant.

I’d argue Scannell is playing better, which should be enough to displace him.

Comment

Working...
                                X