Warm-up 3) Wails and Ireland - Saturday 2.30 on C4 and Millenipalitystad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

Agree they shouldn’t be underestimated- but, realistically, we should be able to handle them, and so should Scotland. As we’ve seen in previous world cups, teams like japan always have a result in them- and you need to ensure it isn’t against you. I still think our best side against Scotland, a mix of that and our back up against Japan, and largely squad after that with some starters in there to maintain match sharpness should be enough. If we beat both, then it’ll be a straight fight between Japan and Scotland to be runner up- home advantage could prove too much for Scotland.
    I think that's the most likely. It would be a shocking result for us to lost to the Scots, imo. They're a bang average side.

So assuming we put them away, we go into the Japan game off a win. Scotland go into a game vs Samoa that will be incredibly physical for a side that lack strength in depth. I'd expect them to win though, and to beat Russia.

If Japan beat Samoa and Russia, which they're well capable of, then it's a head to head in the last group game. That's a huge amount of pressure on the Scots I think.

It will come down to which side has shipped injuries and who has momentum at that stage.

"We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Originally posted by coolbawn View Post
      Aki was good but I got the impression that he tried and failed to take the tackle and offload when he could have sometimes passed. I think Farrell suffered from that.

The other impression I got was that Poite sucked all the remaining momentum out of the game by taking forever to reset the scrums. OK, the game was slowed by injuries, replacements and Welsh scrummaging problems but M Poite seems to compose himself and the scrum for ages before starting his countdown - he seems to fancy himself as the conductor settling an orchestra and the audience down for the dramatic first bars of a symphony. Agony ! Get the scrum ready for the countdown about 15 seconds earlier. The RWC is meant to be a showpiece to turn casual followers into regular fans and all the refs (not just Poite) need to force the scrums to get a flaming move on !
      Poite is painful at the best of times but the scrum is brutally slow with him reffing.

Comment

Unfortunately it says alot about where Ireland are at, that they're relieved to hang on versus the Welsh 2nd team.

I know u could say that it was really 1/2 & 1/2 Ireland's 1st & 2nd team but Ireland's 2nds guys are as good or better than their 1sts e.g. scannell & Addison v best & Kearney for instance, whereas the top Welsh XV are way better than anything we saw in green over the past year. Worrying for the world cup tbh.

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

Originally posted by Daithi View Post
          Unfortunately it says alot about where Ireland are at, that they're relieved to hang on versus the Welsh 2nd team.

I know u could say that it was really 1/2 & 1/2 Ireland's 1st & 2nd team but Ireland's 2nds guys are as good or better than their 1sts e.g. scannell & Addison v best & Kearney for instance, whereas the top Welsh XV are way better than anything we saw in green over the past year. Worrying for the world cup tbh.
          Exactly. If you're to look at some of the players who weren't playing . . .
          • Sexton : Class apart . . . but not on recent form
          • Murray : Same
          • Earls : An improvement, but Conway is good and playing well
          • Henshaw : Neither Farrell or Ringrose have performed well at 13, and Aki has been good individually but a poor distributer at 12. Does a just-back-from-injury Henshaw offer an improvement at either centre position
          • Healy : Healy's good, but Killer was an animal !
          • Stander : No better than an average Conan on current form
          • VdF : Can be a tackling nightmare for the opposition, but no real carrying threat and can get overpowered. PoM probably as effective at 7
          Meanwhile those who came on . . .
          • Furlong : An improvement on most tight heads to be fair
          • Best : Certainly no improvement
          • Toner : A step down (and didn't jump in a defensive LO - thought we were going use him at the front just to put the hooker off )
          • Porter : good replacing good
          • Kearney : Been discussed enough, but certainly no improvement from an attacking perspective
          • Others : No great impact
          It seems like our World Cup depends on either a return to form of Stander, Sexton and Murray, or Carbery, Henshaw, Earls and Addison all getting selected and performing out of their skins. Carty is good, but probably not good enough.

Comment

This weekend will tell us a lot. Two full strength sides, or very close to it, with us at home.

“Heavy legs” and “rustiness” can’t be used as an excuse this time. It’s about delivering a confidence boost and locking down starting spots for the Scotland game. If we can’t perform in this one we’re in trouble.

Comment

MB I think we're in trouble tbh, if Wales pick even a near full strength side, they'll beat Ireland at home imho. Ireland just don't look at all good all year really.

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

We haven't beaten a really good team in a year almost. Time to show some warning signals to our opposition again.
                I am the million man.

Comment

Wales were pants, they offered very little in attack until patchell came on and they changed their 9 also. Their depth is poor after their first choice team. Our pack bullied them as we should, they had no ball carriers and a lack of bulk. I wouldn’t read anything into that game, next weekend is where we ll learn a lot more.

Henderson was outstanding, hard to see how he can be left out of the side after that. Scannell has put it upto best. Killer played very well as did Ryan. Beirne was very physical in defence driving the carrier back. Conan was quiet as was Farrell. Addison looks classy and is easily better than Rob, Ringrose had a bad outing, some v poor tackling. Porter did well on the loosehead, fair play. Daverage was all over the shop in defence, getting turned inside out, coming up and not making the hit, please god he doesn’t travel.
                  Last edited by Talking Sense; 2nd-September-2019, 11:49.
                  \"Only Pienaar, Botha and Ferris would be in contention for a place on our first 15. That\'s a fact.\" - Tickettout\'s take on Ulster April 2011.

Comment

Originally posted by Talking Sense View Post
                    Their depth is poor after their first choice team.
                    I dunno TS. They seem to have more depth in certain positions than we do imo- FB, OH, SH, BR...

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post
                      This weekend will tell us a lot. Two full strength sides, or very close to it, with us at home.

“Heavy legs” and “rustiness” can’t be used as an excuse this time. It’s about delivering a confidence boost and locking down starting spots for the Scotland game. If we can’t perform in this one we’re in trouble.
                      Except that Sexton, Earls and Henshaw, if playing (and I don't see how they can play against Scotland if they're not), will still be rusty . . .

Might as well accept the fact that we won't be playing flowing rugby, and Schmit will spend his time improving the finer details to a mostly established game plan (with the odd extra pattern), hoping they add up to a winning performance, by the quarters.

This team (and coach) will be remembered for how they perform in the quarter final (presuming they make it). If they win, all will be forgiven. If not, every criticism (and every personal gripe and theory) will be deemed fully justified.

C'mon Ireland !

Comment

Originally posted by blueberry View Post

Except that Sexton, Earls and Henshaw, if playing (and I don't see how they can play against Scotland if they're not), will still be rusty . . .

Might as well accept the fact that we won't be playing flowing rugby, and Schmit will spend his time improving the finer details to a mostly established game plan (with the odd extra pattern), hoping they add up to a winning performance, by the quarters.

This team (and coach) will be remembered for how they perform in the quarter final (presuming they make it). If they win, all will be forgiven. If not, every criticism (and every personal gripe and theory) will be deemed fully justified.

C'mon Ireland !
                        A fair point about those three, and Sexton and Henshaw in particular (assuming they both start).

If 1-9 go well and 10 and 12 are a bit ropey, we may lose but I’ll be content enough not to be worried about the Scotland game.

It’s a dominant performance from the pack that we need to see more than anything. That’s key to our game, even more than it is for other sides.

Comment

Working...
                        X