16. Niall Scannell (Dolphin/Munster) 14 caps
    17. Cian Healy (Clontarf/Leinster) 88 caps
    18. John Ryan (Cork Constitution/Munster) 18 caps
    19. Iain Henderson (Queens University/Ulster) 44 caps
    20. Tadhg Beirne (Lansdowne/Munster) 5 caps
    21. Kieran Marmion (Galwegians/Connacht) 25 caps
    22. Jack Carty (Buccaneers/Connacht) 3 caps
    23. Mike Haley (Munster) 0 caps
    Only 5 players in the first 15 with more than 20 caps and only 3 of the bench with over 20 caps.

Quite a youthful squad for the first game

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Comment

The squad highlights some weak areas in Irish rugby.

​​​​​​After 4 years Dave Kearney being in with a chance is a reflection of the standard of wingers we've produced. I know there are a few others like Sweetnam who in my opinion at least, is better but there should be more quality and quantity.

Haley making the squad shows the state of fullbacks in the country. That Rob Kearney is nailed on the start also highlights the lack of talent. He's been around for over a decade and yet has no challenger.

Another new cap, Kleyn, is a project player. Good player but didn't come through the Irish system.

Herring is another IQ player from SA. So apart from Best who is almost 37 and Cronin who is well into his 30s, the only Irish player in his 20s with an outside chance of challenging Best is Scannell.

With Leavy injured the only Irish player in his 20s that can play open side at the required level is VDF.

I know there's players coming through now who will be ready for the next world cup but since the last world cup you would have expected a bit more quality especially in the back 3.

Comment

To be fair, we thought we had an embarrassment of riches at openside only for 2 injuries to deny us world class players (albeit SO'B was becoming a long shot to return to full form). We still have VdF and Murphy, both of whom have beaten New Zealand playing at openside !

Back 3 may not have much cover, but until recently I don't remember us having more than 2 dangerous back 3 players at the one time (generally only 1 !). We now have
        Stockdale, Earls, Larmour and Conway, all with x-Factor and (some) experience, with Rob K (the immovable Object) and imports Addison &Haley. Not earth-shattering, but still not bad. Unfortunately, our conservative style of play means that the benefit (dangerous in the loose) of having someone like Larmour at full back, doesn't outweigh the cost (less effective in covering kicks).

Where the cupboard is really bare is Hooker though. As good as Best has been, he's getting old, and I don't think we've been as weak here in a couple of decades. Hopefully Scannell will step up to remedy !

Would also have been nice for Carbery to have more time as a starting 10 . . .

Comment

The inclusion of Dave Kearney is just a wind up, its the perfect example of how dublincentric rugby is in Ireland. If he wasn’t playing (part time) in Leinster he wouldn’t be anywhere near the squad, he is surely on his last Leinster contract, and his “best” is a long way behind him, there are wingers in every other province that are better than him, have played more this season and have a brighter future in the game.

I just don’t see the point of him playing when there isn’t a hope he will travel.

Comment

Looking at ticketmaster the IRFU have got the ticket pricing all wrong for this game and it’s gonna be badly attended.

€330 for a family of 4 to get average seats. 130 for shti ones
            Last edited by lawrence; 9th-August-2019, 17:35.

Comment

Originally posted by lawrence View Post
              The inclusion of Dave Kearney is just a wind up, its the perfect example of how dublincentric rugby is in Ireland. If he wasn’t playing (part time) in Leinster he wouldn’t be anywhere near the squad, he is surely on his last Leinster contract, and his “best” is a long way behind him, there are wingers in every other province that are better than him, have played more this season and have a brighter future in the game.

I just don’t see the point of him playing when there isn’t a hope he will travel.
              I dont think he will be in squad but he isnt that bad either. Who else should be playing? He is down list a bit but not that far either that he's well out of contention for place in 31

Comment

Originally posted by ormond lad View Post
                I dont think he will be in squad but he isnt that bad either. Who else should be playing? He is down list a bit but not that far either that he's well out of contention for place in 31
                Every province has a player ahead of him, even Leinster

Comment

Originally posted by lawrence View Post
                  Looking at ticketmaster the IRFU have got the ticket pricing all wrong for this game and it’s gonna be badly attended.

€330 for a family of 4 to get average seats. 130 for shti ones
                  what would you see as badly attended? There'll be 30000 or so there I guess which will be around what we've got for previous games like this.
                  there were tickets available from 15quid with schoolboy tickets for a tenner

Comment

Originally posted by ormond lad View Post
                    what would you see as badly attended? There'll be 30000 or so there I guess which will be around what we've got for previous games like this.
                    there were tickets available from 15quid with schoolboy tickets for a tenner
                    Exactly

Comment

Daverage knocks on when he went to gather for a certain try.

Edit. On 2nd viewing it might have come off his leg

Comment

Ryle and Houdini...

Comment

Originally posted by kahalui View Post
                          Daverage knocks on when he went to gather for a certain try.
                          He should have done better but, in fairness, he was under pressure from defender
                          "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Italy have looked the more cohesive team so far.

Comment

Certainly seems to be an awful lot more grubbers in behind

Comment

Joey playing well
                                "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Working...
                                X