RWC 2019 - Other Sides

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

WR said they had a contingency plan and all the journos assumed it was to relocate, since the rules are so (unnecessarily) firm on not postponing games.

Then they held their press conference on Thursday and it became clear that no such plans exist. The contingency plan is simply to wait and see and cancel if necessary i.e. not a contingency plan at all.

If we were hosting and this happened we’d be mortified, rolling our eyes and saying “it would never happen in another modern developed country”.

It’s a disgrace for the tournament, particularly as Parisse said, if the ABs (or indeed Japan) needed points to go through, a way would be found.
    Scotland putting 60 points on Russia may have changed that plan.
    He's a guy who gets up at six o'clock in the morning regardless of what time it is.

Comment

The IT is reporting that WR originally had a contingency plan to move the games 15 miles away. Eejits.

Comment

Revealed: Typhoon contingency plan was to move matches 14 miles away

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...land-japan-cup

• Yokohama’s backup venue was the nearby Tokyo Stadium
        • Oita and Sapporo explored too late in wake of Typhoon Hagibis

Exclusive by Gerard Meagher in Miyazaki

Fri 11 Oct 2019 15.47 BSTLast modified on Fri 11 Oct 2019 16.57 BST

The Yokahama International Stadium which was supposed to host England v France on Saturday and Scotland v Japan on Sunday.

World Rugby’s failure to properly prepare for Japan’s extreme weather can be revealed with World Cup organisers initially making plans to move England v France and other matches in Yokohama to Tokyo Stadium – just 14 miles away.

Super Typhoon Hagibis has wreaked havoc on the World Cup with England’s Pool C decider in Yokohama cancelled and Scotland’s pivotal match with Japan, scheduled to take place in the same stadium on Sunday, in serious jeopardy. Hagibis is due to hit Tokyo and Yokohama on Saturday night local time and is forecast to be one of the most violent in recent history. It is measured at 870 miles wide.

But despite years to come up with extensive contingency plans, with the tournament director, Alan Gilpin, insisting in 2018 that the threat of natural disasters was “a really hot topic for us”, it is understood that before the emergence of Hagibis, organisers considered the nearby Tokyo Stadium the most suitable alternative to Yokohama.

When that inevitably became impossible, organisers hurriedly explored moving England’s match to Oita, more than 500 miles away on the south island of Kyushu. Ultimately it was decided that was not logistically viable nor safe for travelling supporters at such short notice.

World Rugby has repeatedly insisted it has “robust contingency plans” but has not expanded any further and on Thursday, when it was confirmed England’s match with France and New Zealand’s encounter with Italy were cancelled, Gilpin revealed there were not any in place for Scotland’s game against Japan.

Tens of thousands of supporters have been left in limbo in Tokyo and Yokohama and while they will receive a full refund for their match tickets, World Rugby will not reimburse any travel costs. The fact organisers considered a stadium 14 miles away would initially be an appropriate alternative venue raises huge question marks over World Rugby’s contingency planning.

Had Oita, or Sapporo – 700 miles north of Yokohama – been designated as alternatives in the first place cancelled matches could have been avoided. “We always knew there would be risks but it’s rare for there to be a typhoon of this size at this stage of the year,” said Gilpin on Thursday. “We have no regrets.”

In the absence of any contingency plans, Scotland v Japan will either take place on Sunday or be cancelled. Scotland, who face elimination if the match is called off, have countered by insisting the match should go ahead, even if it has to be behind closed doors. The Scottish union has also threatened legal action if the match is not played.

England and France have both adopted philosophical approaches to their cancellation. England have headed to south to Miyazaki, where they held a pre-tournament camp, for the weekend. Eddie Jones had initially wanted to use Miyazaki as a base during the tournament, flying in and out to host cities.

On Friday, clear of Hagibis’s path, England went through a light fitness session and are set to increase their workouts on Saturday in an effort to account for not having a match. All 31 players are set to train in some capacity on Saturday but players still nursing injuries, such as Billy Vunipola, are not expected to take a full part.
        I am the million man.

Comment

What an absolute mess. The only way 15 miles would work is if the typhoon had passed, and the stadium/pitch was unsafe. In such a circumstance, what is the chance the other pitch would survive, or the transport etc infrastructure was in tact. Only a location less likely to be affected would make any sense- different island etc. The other silly situation they themselves into was having a week between some final games and quarters, inevitably any delay would have a knock on effect.

Comment

Have to admit a bit of schadenfreude. Townsend was a big, happy fan of the rules when it looked like we’d be shafted, the turnaround and change in attitude has been instructive to watch. That said if we were going to be eliminated from the competition on this basis the servers here would have melted. There would already be a protest march on Pembroke Street.

Its a shocking & incredibly callous way to treat players who have dedicated years to getting to the competition

Hope the game gets to go ahead, no one can have any complains about the outcome. If were eliminated on the basis of what happens on the field so be it. Have a sneaking suspicion the Scots are going to get thrown under the bus regardless to guarantee Japanese progression. The precedent has been set with the Italians, one wonders was that to provide a fig leaf for ensuring Japan progress?

Comment

Townsend had a big happy grin on his face the time the Irish team bus got delayed

Think he was involved in Glasgow the time Matawalu bit Dunners too?

No, thanks

I am the million man.

Comment

I’ve no love for the Scots after the ****e they’ve pulled in recent years, but I fancied them to beat Japan and give us a shot at going top.

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post
                  I’ve no love for the Scots after the ****e they’ve pulled in recent years, but I fancied them to beat Japan and give us a shot at going top.
                  I thought thy might too, and who ever it was it is a lousy way to go out.

Comment

Only 9 in it after 75mins. Great effort from Georgia.

Last edited by kahalui; 12th-October-2019, 01:32.

Comment

Japanese captains run:

I am the million man.

Comment

I'm assuming that a Scottish win tomorrow with Nippon getting only 0 points means Japan is out. That didn't look possible after the Ireland game. I'm a bit worried with the news that the ref has been changed to an unknown ref named Yoko Wan Oy Suzuki.

Comment

Odds on game will be canceled. Once today's games were cancelled this was going to be the decision.

Comment

Originally posted by Yatenga View Post
                            Odds on game will be canceled. Once today's games were cancelled this was going to be the decision.
                            And they knew that very well. I think the “wait and see” thing was always a bit of a sop to the Scots, given the magnitude of the typhoon. I can’t imagine the pitch will be playable, and safety of supporters trying to get around in the aftermath may be an issue too.

Comment

Now they are saying it could be played behind closed doors, which would be fair, I can’t see them clearing the area around the stadium to make it safe for fans. If it gives ahead i fancy Scotland to win, but the Japanese could get 4 tries and a losing bonus point, that’s my favored outcome

Comment

Originally posted by El Pedro View Post
                                Now they are saying it could be played behind closed doors, which would be fair, I can’t see them clearing the area around the stadium to make it safe for fans. If it gives ahead i fancy Scotland to win, but the Japanese could get 4 tries and a losing bonus point, that’s my favored outcome
                                You want Ireland to have a QF against the all blacks?

Comment

Working...
                                X