No announcement yet.

RWC 2019 - Other Sides

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NZ haven't been going so well either, at least over the last season or so...
    SA beat them in NZ last year... Eng lost to them by a pt a few weeks later... then a loss to Ire. They scraped past the Pumas a few weeks ago, then a draw with SA in NZ and now they've suffered a worst ever loss to Aus.
    A lot could happen between now and the knock out stages but at the moment England and SA are looking strong.

Comment

Originally posted by padders View Post
      I realise this is probably My pre World cup Irish rugby fan pessimism kicking in but everyone else looks to be in better shape than us with the possible exception of Argie . I know I should wait til the full team is playing but the lack of urgency and accuracy yesterday following on from the way we finished 6 N looks sadly familiar to me . See ye in Twickenham in affortnight !
      A makeshift second string Ireland best Italy without breaking a sweat yesterday. Not really anything to be judged from that.

The Championship down south has shown us NZ looking poor by their standards, Australia completely unpredictable, Argentina pretty average, South Africa strong.

Can’t say much about the NH sides. These warm ups are no barometer.

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

A makeshift second string Ireland best Italy without breaking a sweat yesterday. Not really anything to be judged from that.
        Some of the lads looked wrecked even before halftime and rightly so, they were playing for seats on the plane. If that doesn't inspire them to go all out, well, not much will.

Comment

Originally posted by kahalui View Post

Some of the lads looked wrecked even before halftime and rightly so, they were playing for seats on the plane. If that doesn't inspire them to go all out, well, not much will.

Who did you think looked wrecked by half time? It looked like a bit of a training run to me. Nobody seemed to be struggling.

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

Who did you think looked wrecked by half time? It looked like a bit of a training run to me. Nobody seemed to be struggling.
            The majority of the forwards. Even Heaslip and Ryle mentioned it a few times.
            There was plenty at stake on Saturday, irrespective of the opposition.
            Some were playing to keep or put their hands up for starting spots, others for bench spots, and the rest to get a seat on the plane. Those who play fairly well in the warmups but don't make the cut, may still get a chance when the inevitable injuries arise.

Comment

NZ haven't been going so well either, at least over the last season or so...
              SA beat them in NZ last year... Eng lost to them by a pt a few weeks later... then a loss to Ire. They scraped past the Pumas a few weeks ago, then a draw with SA in NZ and now they've suffered a worst ever loss to Aus.
              A lot could happen between now and the knock out stages but at the moment England and SA are looking strong.
              Lol its been one game, pipe down please don't resort to clichés!

Comment

Originally posted by Cathalsmart View Post

Lol its been one game, pipe down please don't resort to clichés!
                Their form has been good over the last year... and their 'b' team still managed to put up a big score against a strong Welsh side at the weekend. I'd say they're building nicely.

Comment

Their form has been good over the last year... and their 'b' team still managed to put up a big score against a strong Welsh side at the weekend. I'd say they're building nicely.

The rankings say that Wales are the strongest side that the NH is sending to Japan, but I think England are better by more than one score, and if they can keep Billy V on the field for the big games I fancy them to make the final. Was very surprised he played 80 minutes yesterday especially as he looked sharp throughout the game.

If they can get Mako back it could help, but he might not be named in the squad anyway.

As far as NZ go the best time to get them could well be the QF, they must have doubts creeping in now will little or no time to fix issues, their game against SA is early in the tournament and will be followed by a few dead rubbers, so they could be most vulnerable in the QF, but history could well repeat itself, as Australia beat NZ before the 2015 WC as well.
                  Last edited by lawrence; 12th-August-2019, 08:09.

Comment

It was in my hole a B team, it was an A- team. If it was their "B" team than how is that relevant to how their A team will do in Japan? Building nicely...Its been ONE game...LONG way to go yet.

Comment

Originally posted by lawrence View Post

The rankings say that Wales are the strongest side that the NH is sending to Japan, but I think England are better by more than one score, and if they can keep Billy V on the field for the big games I fancy them to make the final. Was very surprised he played 80 minutes yesterday especially as he looked sharp throughout the game.

If they can get Mako back it could help, but he might not be named in the squad anyway.

As far as NZ go the best time to get them could well be the QF, they must have doubts creeping in now will little or no time to fix issues, their game against SA is early in the tournament and will be followed by a few dead rubbers, so they could be most vulnerable in the QF, but history could well repeat itself, as Australia beat NZ before the 2015 WC as well.
                      Again this is based on them being England and judging them based on clichés, I can promise you with the issues they have they will not make the final and when they inevitably get found out you will be shocked but you really shouldnt be. For the last 2 years England starting well has never been an issues, its been finishing well thats been the issue and that isnt good since they have another 7 games to play before the KO phase.

Comment

Originally posted by lawrence View Post

And again more clichés if you are seriously trying to compare 2015 NZL with now, their issues in 2019 run far deeper than 2015. Its almost to the point where I genuinely fear SA more now. In 2015 they had a great squad that everyone had nightmares over but were just lacking execution but where infact just peaking in time for the RWC and by the time they beat Tonga I knew they were winning the world cup. 2019 there are so many question marks over the team which is very concerning with only 2 games till they start against SA.

On England, lets not forget with very similar issues in 2015 the vast majority of people ignored the issues thinking "its England they will be fine" and in the end it wasnt fine and as expected when it came to the crunch the lack of leaders or knowing exactly what their best team is was found out.

Comment

Again this is based on them being England and judging them based on clichés, I can promise you with the issues they have they will not make the final and when they inevitably get found out you will be shocked but you really shouldnt be. For the last 2 years England starting well has never been an issues, its been finishing well thats been the issue and that isnt good since they have another 7 games to play before the KO phase.

It was in my hole a B team, it was an A- team. If it was their "B" team than how is that relevant to how their A team will do in Japan? Building nicely...Its been ONE game...LONG way to go yet.
                          That wasn't near an A team. Mako, Itoje, Kruis, Care, Farrell, Slade, Nowell would all start, and in less than a hour some of those players who started will find out that they are not travelling.
                          Last edited by lawrence; 12th-August-2019, 11:33.

Comment

And again more clichés if you are seriously trying to compare 2015 NZL with now, their issues in 2019 run far deeper than 2015. Its almost to the point where I genuinely fear SA more now. In 2015 they had a great squad that everyone had nightmares over but were just lacking execution but where infact just peaking in time for the RWC and by the time they beat Tonga I knew they were winning the world cup. 2019 there are so many question marks over the team which is very concerning with only 2 games till they start against SA.

On England, lets not forget with very similar issues in 2015 the vast majority of people ignored the issues thinking "its England they will be fine" and in the end it wasnt fine and as expected when it came to the crunch the lack of leaders or knowing exactly what their best team is was found out.

So you knew in 2015 that they were going to win the World cup, and you know now that they wont?

Comment

Yeah and the half was an A team so like I said a A- team. Plus you could argue that the A players that did play were the ones that made a difference, played on debut such and Ludlam and Francis looked very average and Cokanasiga while very dangerous going forward is a massive liability in defence. Hainz at 9 was the only fringe player that really stood out for me, for all this talk of looking good its was merely them just power over the line from pick and go's with not exactly that much creativity involved...do you seriously think that is sustainable in Japan especially when you look at the injury issues the likes of Tuilagi and Vunipola(x2) have? Yes they are had some lovely moments here or there (JJ especially looked dangerous) but every top side will have moments like that.

Comment

Yeah and the half was an A team so like I said a A- team. Plus you could argue that the A players that did play were the ones that made a difference, played on debut such and Ludlam and Francis looked very average and Cokanasiga while very dangerous going forward is a massive liability in defence. Hainz at 9 was the only fringe player that really stood out for me, for all this talk of looking good its was merely them just power over the line from pick and go's with not exactly that much creativity involved...do you seriously think that is sustainable in Japan especially when you look at the injury issues the likes of Tuilagi and Vunipola(x2) have? Yes they are had some lovely moments here or there (JJ especially looked dangerous) but every top side will have moments like that.

Just so you dont sound like a complete eejit talking to people in future, when you have an A team and drop over half of them, its knows as a B team.

If it was all power and pick and go's then the 13 line breaks and 31 defenders beaten stats must be wrong. You seem to think that people are putting a lot of stock in that game, when they are not, but its a slight indication of where England are and its a good place for them to be.

Comment

Working...
                                X