No announcement yet.

RWC 2019 - Other Sides

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

By the way, while none of us gave Italy a chance against NZ, it was to be Sergio Parisse’s last match in the maglia azzurri.

Very sorry he won’t get the opportunity to bow out on the big stage.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Piquet View Post
        If Scotland win 5-1 and Ireland fail to get a Bonus v Samoa, then Ireland will, in all probability be out.

The three teams will be on 15 points and since each will have beaten one of the others, the second criterion, Points Difference, will be used to separate the teams.

At present, Scotland lead on 71 with Ireland next on 52 and Japan on 46.

Unless Ireland beat Samoa by 20 points plus whatever Scotland beat Japan by, Scotland will remain ahead.

Once the Pool winners have been identified, the next two teams will be separated by returning to the first tiebreaking criterion, the result of the game between the two teams.

Japan will therefore progress at Ireland's expense.

EDIT Extract from RWC2019 Regulations

Reg 2 Paragraph 3

"For clarification, in the case of a tie between three or more Teams at the end of the pool phase, once the highest ranked Team has been determined following the above criteria, to determine the next higher ranked Team the process would repeat, starting at criterion 1."
        Woools is Woools said Gregor quite chirply when it looked as if the Ireland v Samoa game was going to be hit.
        Will there be lots of Booing in Scotstoun if it doesn’t go ahead? They’ll probably blame Ireland anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Con Artist

Comment

its an absolute disgrace - the whole competition has been compromised by their stupidity in not having appropriate contingencies in place
          O'Shea is dead right if NZ needed a win to qualify their game would not have been cancelled, no matter what the rules say
          The whole competition - England, France & NZ get extra rest - the whole competition has been called into question
          Squads too small, widely different rest periods between games, poor refeering, questionable Home Town decisions, and now this, has tarnished this WC and will be the thing most remembered

Comment

Originally posted by Yatenga View Post
            its an absolute disgrace - the whole competition has been compromised by their stupidity in not having appropriate contingencies in place
            O'Shea is dead right if NZ needed a win to qualify their game would not have been cancelled, no matter what the rules say
            The whole competition - England, France & NZ get extra rest - the whole competition has been called into question
            Squads too small, widely different rest periods between games, poor refeering, questionable Home Town decisions, and now this, has tarnished this WC and will be the thing most remembered
            Seems harsh to read it, but right on the money.

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post
              By the way, while none of us gave Italy a chance against NZ, it was to be Sergio Parisse’s last match in the maglia azzurri.

Very sorry he won’t get the opportunity to bow out on the big stage.
              Same for Ghiraldini who I think o'Shea quoted re chances of NZ being knocked out by a typhoon....
              Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Originally posted by ustix View Post

Same for Ghiraldini who I think o'Shea quoted re chances of NZ being knocked out by a typhoon....
                Yeah, Ghiraldini was mentioned on the Examiner podcast. Apparently spent ages rehabbing an injury to get back for this, and was hoping just to get 20 minutes off the bench as his swan song. Burst into tears when he heard the game was cancelled.

Comment

meanwhile hagibis gets closer
                  https://www.ventusky.com/?p=35.7;139...temperature-2m

Comment

Originally posted by RED 49 View Post
                    Cool weather site.....

P.s. gets coat & leaves;)

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

(BBC R4 interview just now) Mark Dodson, Scottish rugby, Scotland pressing for game to be played elsewhere a day later if can’t be played on Sunday....’sporting integrity of the tournament’.....very critical of World Rugby.

Comment

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/spor...ricane-haggis/

Townsend was a bit of a cnut about our game originally being postponed because of the hurricanes original path...

That contingency plan can only mean moving the venue – not the date – under competition rules, and as Gregor Townsend remarked later, they’re pretty unequivocal.

“The rules are the rules,” he said. “The Ireland game cannot be postponed, it has to be played that day. If it cannot be played that day then it’s two points for each team.

“I am sure they will try to find an alternative venue if the game can’t go ahead. We’re still a few days out from that fixture and we’ve had two typhoons have been forecast during the World Cup and haven’t hit Japan.

“So it may not happen and it may not be severe enough to postpone the game. We have all been aware that postponed games could happen and the rules state that in the pool stages they cannot be delayed, but there could be an alternative venue found.”

He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Comment

Originally posted by i_like_cake View Post
                          Townsend, cnut
                          Tidied that up for you there shorty

xox
                          I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by fitzy73 View Post
                            Who'd have thunk that having a Rugby World Cup in Japan in typhoon season might cause a cancellation of a game.
                            I don't blame the Japanese for this, the rules are very clear:

Cancelled Matches
                            Where a pool Match cannot be commenced on the day in which it is scheduled, it shall not be postponed to the following day, and shall be considered as cancelled. In such situations, the result shall be declared a draw and Teams will be allocated two Match points each and no score registered. For the avoidance of doubt, no bonus points will be awarded.

Not giving yourself the flexibility to make alternative decisions is, frankly, just dumb.
                            I'm sure I read in some of the Irish papers last week that there was a contingency plan about moving venues, rather than just cancelling matches as the first reaction. Given the well-known situation, teams might have expected that the contingency plan would be actioned.

Comment

Originally posted by acskerries View Post

I'm sure I read in some of the Irish papers last week that there was a contingency plan about moving venues, rather than just cancelling matches as the first reaction. Given the well-known situation, teams might have expected that the contingency plan would be actioned.
                              WR said they had a contingency plan and all the journos assumed it was to relocate, since the rules are so (unnecessarily) firm on not postponing games.

Then they held their press conference on Thursday and it became clear that no such plans exist. The contingency plan is simply to wait and see and cancel if necessary i.e. not a contingency plan at all.

If we were hosting and this happened we’d be mortified, rolling our eyes and saying “it would never happen in another modern developed country”.

It’s a disgrace for the tournament, particularly as Parisse said, if the ABs (or indeed Japan) needed points to go through, a way would be found.

Comment

They have boxed themselves in now....if the advice is that The Japan game cant go on they have to cancel or leave themselves open to a lawsuit from the Italians.
                                But the suspicion is they cancelled those games figuring nobody would care and even better it would increase the likelihood of the hosts going through - a win/win!
                                This is a fail of epic proportions

Comment

Working...
                                X