No announcement yet.

RWC 2019 - Other Sides

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If Scotland v Japan is pulled, we would be better off if ours was also pulled. No change to qtr finals, no injuries and plenty of rest to take on NZ on a level playing field

Comment

Either eyether kneether neither, let’s call the whole thing off

Comment

Originally posted by tippete7trees View Post
        If Scotland don't even get a chance to qualify, especially after doing so well to get back into contention, it'd be an absolute scandal. And then calling the culprit Typhoon HAGGIS!, well, that's taking the p1ss.
        I know it won't suit the Irish team at all, but after the SRU effectively scuppered Ireland's RWC23 bid, there's a part of me that takes some solace in the likelihood that it might cost Scotland dear that no viable contingency is in place for their crucial stay in the tournament match at this RWC19..... I mean who would have thought hey!? ;)

As someone else stated, it puts alleged poor transport links to Thurles fully in context.

For the craic someone should pseudo offer Thurles (or Killarney), as an alternative venue to their vulture union for this game just purely to rub salt in it.
        (That is if they can put up with the inadequate broadband.... ahem....)

Zero sympathy for those sell out scots. Karma & all dat, sorry!!!
        Last edited by Daithi; 10th-October-2019, 21:55.

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

The conspiracy theorist in me would say RWC didn't try to move the NZ v Italy and Eng v Fra fixtures so they wouldn't have to move Japan v Scotland, ensuring Japan progress. Of course, their preferred solution would be for all games to go ahead but back of their minds would be the nightmare scenario where Scotland beat Japan and put them out.
          I'd like to see Japan progress but the help they are getting in this tournament leaves a bad taste - I understand the imperative to have the host team go as far as possible but like South Korea in the football this is getting embarrassing

Comment

Originally posted by Daithi View Post

I know it won't suit the Irish team at all, but after the SRU effectively scuppered Ireland's RWC23 bid, there's a part of me that takes some solace in the likelihood that it might cost Scotland dear that no viable contingency is in place for their crucial stay in the tournament match at this RWC19..... I mean who would have thought hey!? ;)

As someone else stated, it puts alleged poor transport links to Thurles fully in context.

For the craic someone should pseudo offer Thurles (or Killarney) as an alternative venue to their vulture union to rub salt in it.

Zero sympathy for them sorry scots. Karma & all dat!!!!!
            Yeah, don't forget they didn't travel in 1972, and Jim Staples jaw broken by Findlay Calder
            Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

Comment

Originally posted by Sulla View Post

Yeah, don't forget they didn't travel in 1972, and Jim Staples jaw broken by Findlay Calder
              Yeah, those frugal fuppers...and time wuz, more contraception was sold in Dublin over the weekend of the Scottish international than any other time of the year ....
              so they've been bad, maggots for a while those tight, scheming, sleazy, scottish, sneaks!! ;))

P.s. no haggis was harmed in writing this post ;)
              Last edited by Daithi; 10th-October-2019, 16:49.

Comment

Who'd have thunk that having a Rugby World Cup in Japan in typhoon season might cause a cancellation of a game.
                I don't blame the Japanese for this, the rules are very clear:

Cancelled Matches
                Where a pool Match cannot be commenced on the day in which it is scheduled, it shall not be postponed to the following day, and shall be considered as cancelled. In such situations, the result shall be declared a draw and Teams will be allocated two Match points each and no score registered. For the avoidance of doubt, no bonus points will be awarded.

Not giving yourself the flexibility to make alternative decisions is, frankly, just dumb.
                Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

For the craic someone should pseudo offer Thurles (or Killarney) as an alternative venue to their vulture union to rub salt in it.

Zero sympathy for them sell out scots. Karma & all dat, sorry!!!
                  To be honest...........a lot of Irish fans, fairly comfortable we'll do the needful v Samoa, we're looking forward to Japan v Scotland because it's a sort of win-win whoever wins. If Japan wins......bye bye backstabbers, if Scotland win..........where's your ref now Japan?

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post
                    Absolutely ridiculous that they didn’t just make the call and relocate the Scotland game. If they didn’t want fans to be travelling in a typhoon, announce it will be played behind closed doors (although if it’s too dangerous to travel, the trains etc. won’t run so that will stop people trying anyway). That’s still a lot better than this travesty.

No genuine reason they couldn’t have had this contingency plan in place.
                    If the storm will be passed on by Sunday could they move the fixtures to Sunday evening/night in the same locations? Pending availability and a safety assessment.
                    He's a guy who gets up at six o'clock in the morning regardless of what time it is.

Comment

England must be laughing all the way here!!

They were always a contender for this RWC, but were always likely to be hampered by having to play 5 big games in 5 weeks to win it.

But now, with not having to play France at all ( due to gross stupidity by RWC imho, ref fitzy's post above), and with Argentina getting an early red card, and as a result, not offering the type of challenge that they could have, England now have a real shot at winning this imho.

Ditto the ABs, I know they only had to face Italy with a squad side maybe, nonetheless the collective effort of an international RWC test takes significantly from recovery & preparation for the next game (s) for any team.

Instead the ABs will be lightning hot in the QF now, and some of this significant advantage will also persevere into the later stages (I.e. less likelihood of injuries, less cumulative fatigue,etc,etc,etc). Poor show from RWC but that's cronied sport sometimes!!
                      Last edited by Daithi; 10th-October-2019, 22:01.

Comment

Originally posted by redherring View Post

If the storm will be passed on by Sunday could they move the fixtures to Sunday evening/night in the same locations? Pending availability and a safety assessment.
                        The Scotland v Japan game is scheduled for Sunday night (which is why it hasn't already been cancelled like the Saturday games). The risk is that there's too much damage done, or that the conditions are still too bad, to play it then.

The reality is that WR would be happy to enough to have an excuse to cancel and ensure Japan go through and are nice and fresh for a crack at SA the next week. Scotland are building up a worrying head of steam after their wins over Samoa and Russia, and have the kind of game that could trouble the hosts.

Really hope it happens. Should be a cracker.

Comment

England must be laughing all the way here!!

They were always a serious contender for this RWC, but were always likely to be hampered by having to play 5 big games in 5 weeks to win it.

But with now not having to play France at all (silly by RWC imho, ref fitzy's post), and with Argentina getting an early red card and as a result not offering the type of challenge they could have, England now have a real shot at winning this imho.

Ditto the ABs, I know they only had to face Italy maybe with a squad side, nonetheless the collective effort of an international test takes significantly from recovery & preparation for the next game (s).The ABs will be lightning hot in the QF now, and some of this advantage will also persevere into the later stages (I.e. less likelihood of injuries, less cumulative fatigue,etc,etc,etc). Poor show from RWC but that's sport sometimes!!
                          Conor O'Shea mentioned AB's would have gone fully loaded against Italy, last time they did was for the SA match, haven't had a challenge or main team run out since then. that said do they really need one..

England will appriciate the break though being pool toppers puts them in NZ/Irl half of draw
                          Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

Comment

Rumour is there is concern at official levels regarding the impact of typhoon on kilted supporters. Game off in interests of decorum.

Comment

If Scotland win 5-1 and Ireland fail to get a Bonus v Samoa, then Ireland will, in all probability be out.

The three teams will be on 15 points and since each will have beaten one of the others, the second criterion, Points Difference, will be used to separate the teams.

At present, Scotland lead on 71 with Ireland next on 52 and Japan on 46.

Unless Ireland beat Samoa by 20 points plus whatever Scotland beat Japan by, Scotland will remain ahead.

Once the Pool winners have been identified, the next two teams will be separated by returning to the first tiebreaking criterion, the result of the game between the two teams.

Japan will therefore progress at Ireland's expense.

EDIT Extract from RWC2019 Regulations

Reg 2 Paragraph 3

"For clarification, in the case of a tie between three or more Teams at the end of the pool phase, once the highest ranked Team has been determined following the above criteria, to determine the next higher ranked Team the process would repeat, starting at criterion 1."
                              Last edited by Piquet; 10th-October-2019, 14:53.

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post
                                Rumour is there is concern at official levels regarding the impact of typhoon on kilted supporters. Game off in interests of decorum.
                                To be fair most of them have heads like slapped arses anyway, decorum might be kept by diverting eyes away from the faces.

Comment

Working...
                                X