RWC 2019 - Other Sides

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Piquet View Post
    It would also appear, from the Pool B Table, that New Zealand v Italy has been abandoned as a draw.

NZ 16 points, SA 15 Italy 12.
    Confirmed by BBC news. Really unfortunate for everyone, fans, tournament, broadcasters, but so far it hasn’t affected qualification (suspect we’d all agree Italy weren’t going to beat AB). Now gives these teams massive advantage going into quarters. Really hope scotland goes ahead but that is under review ‘decision will be made on Sunday morning following inspection of damage to the ground’ (according to tournament director just now).

Comment

If Sunday's game is abandoned, Japan will win the Pool as stated above and will face South Africa in the knockouts.

If that game can't be played, Japan will progress having the better Pool record.

Comment

If Sunday's game is abandoned, Japan will win the Pool as stated above and will face South Africa in the knockouts.

If that game can't be played, Japan will progress having the better Pool record.
        Not a massive incentive to play then.

According to the tournament organiser, one of the difficulties in rearranging is the need to be ‘fair to all concerned... Italy had a chance of qualifying (sic)....’ and their game has been cancelled...

Comment

It would also appear, from the Pool B Table, that New Zealand v Italy has been abandoned as a draw.

NZ 16 points, SA 15 Italy 12.
          To be fair that's the Italys best ever result against New Zealand! Congratulations!

Comment

Imagine flying out from London to take in the French game and the England quarter final and spending the weekend stuck inside a hotel typhoon shelter.

****e transport links to Thurles don't seem so bad now do they?

I am the million man.

Comment

An absolute farce. I can understand the need for a match event to be cancelled, but you ensure the rugby game itself is played, be it behind closed doors in different part of the country if needs be. The integrity of the competition goes out the window completely.

It actually calls into question why team would revolve their entire four cycle around this competution when this is how things are run when you get there. Ireland may now be forced by a (very suspicious given how Japan have been catered for so far) boardroom decision to play against the All Blacks in a QF, who have been given a weeks extra rest.
              "There are probably more annoying things than being hectored about African development by a wealthy Irish rock star in a cowboy hat, but I can't think of one at the moment"

Paul Theroux

Comment

Originally posted by Daithi View Post

Wasn't it Samoa's (not Tonga's) decision to run the ball!?
                (with absolutely nothing to gain for themselves but everything to lose for others, I might add)

Relating to your general point though, the Rugby World Cup organiser's have compromised the integrity of this tournament imho, by facilitating Japan to do as well as absolute possible, without quite stretching to refs & tmos actually helping to push a few of their scrums & mauls also........

E.g. Japan start v Russia
                8 days recovery v 6 days recovery for Ireland
                Humid location for that game
                Performance of officials in that game (blatantly biased imho)
                Game v Samoa, highly inconsistent award of a 'crooked in' against Samoa in the *82ND MINUTE *, *5 METRES* from the Samoan try line, leading to an inevitable Japanese try well beyond full time. Gift ref, Jaco Payper, ta very much muggins!!

It gets worse:
                Only 4 days recovery for Scotland before they have to face Japan (7 days recovered ) in the last match to decide who actually qualifies from the group....

And now rumours of this game being cancelled to effectively allow Japan top the group.

i don't begrudge Japan their success but this much compromising of the integrity of the tournament, officials & schedule, all to facilitate the hosts doing better than otherwise ruins the tournament for either Scotland or Ireland, and possibly as a whole. A pity, imho.

P.s. of course world Rigby has form here, e.g. SA in 1995 (semi & final), NZ in 2011 (woefully biased performance by referee in the final), etc,etc

P.p.s. I can accept that it's good that the hosts do well in the RWC for the tournament, but do WR really have to compromise the whole tournament to achieve that outcome. Sadly, it seems so!!
                Words like scandal aren't strong enough. Travesty is heading in the right direction.
                There's other issues with this rule. Pool matches are not some level playing field, early results, tactical selections for later games etc mean a final game is often not just 1 more match.
                Seems the World cup is first of all a jamboree for blazers and media companies. Them 'downstairs' - the players/fans/teams are lucky to be allowed attend.

Comment

Oh to be a fly on the wall in Gatland or Cheika's rooms when they heard England and France will have an extra week's rest before the QF.
                  "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Spare a thought for the poor All Blacks. That's the first ever pool game they have lost or drawn
                    "Some people don't know their easy lives... I wouldn't be so ungrateful" - Fiacre Ryan - #AutismAndMe

Comment

Wasn't it Samoa's (not Tonga's) decision to run the ball!?
                      (with absolutely nothing to gain for themselves but everything to lose for others, I might add)
                      Samoa still had the possibility to pick up a losing bonus point (they needed a try) which would have kept them in the tournament, just about.

Comment

Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Gibson View Post

Samoa still had the possibility to pick up a losing bonus point (they needed a try) which would have kept them in the tournament, just about.
                          hi Mike, could you run thru how it kept them in it?

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

Absolutely ridiculous that they didn’t just make the call and relocate the Scotland game. If they didn’t want fans to be travelling in a typhoon, announce it will be played behind closed doors (although if it’s too dangerous to travel, the trains etc. won’t run so that will stop people trying anyway). That’s still a lot better than this travesty.

No genuine reason they couldn’t have had this contingency plan in place.

Comment

Closed doors would be Scots advantage i would think, no Home town support for Japan, would be more to think it would be cancelled rather than that option, considering the 'support' World Rugby has 'given' Japan so far in the RWC
                              Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

Comment

hi Mike, could you run thru how it kept them in it?
                                Bonus point against Japan would have left them with 6pts in the group. If they then beat Ireland 5-0 on match points in their last game and Scotland got nothing against Japan, they'd have finished level on points with Ireland and 2nd in the group. A very remote possibility but, as annoyed as I was by their decision not just to kick it out, I understand why they wanted to play on.

Comment

Working...
                                X