RWC 2019 - Other Sides

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post
    The switch in the UK commentary between the Argentinian red and the Tuilagi hit in the air was interesting to hear. One very much "letter of the law, safety important to the game", the other "oh there was no real intent, it was just mistimed".

I don't think you can have it both ways. If a high tackle sees a guy red carded because safety makes the intent irrelevant and a technical error in timing or positioning the punishable offence, then I can't see how the referee decides that Tuilagi doesn't get a yellow because "he just mistimed the tackle". Just mis-timing the tackle is pretty much the root of most people being hit in the air, as far as I can see.
    Don't forget the no-arms tackle by Sinclair right at the start which also wasn't a card even though it was 3rd penalty in about 20 seconds inside 5m's

Comment

He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Comment

He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Comment

Originally posted by mr chips View Post

That was Ugo Monye. I didn't think much of his mental gymnastics.
          Tbf, Ugo is a really good commentator & analyst most of the time imho.

Also, I think all commentators are some way biased when dealing with their home country, & more especially so, when they've played for their national side themselves. It's only natural I guess.

E.g. look at Darce, Bowe, Horgan et al trying to look like they're remaining objective about Ireland & Schmidt & some really poor performances from same throughout 2019.

The recent ex players are simply not neutral and look for excuses & mitigation at every opportunity....just the way it is.

P.s. where this kind of thing really gets under my skin though is where they're blatantly biased towards players from their former province over players from other provinces e..g. Conan was under whelmingly average (or below) at this RWC, yet he was really being bigged up by most of the Leinster talking heads, ditto Luke McGrath over Marmion, I've yet to see anything to even nearly justify that call, yet not a pip from the more biased blue promoters now hey !?!

P.p.s.' if it's blue it must be true!! '
          Last edited by Daithi; 8th-October-2019, 20:30.

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

Conan was under whelmingly average (or below) at this RWC
            He played well against Scotland for the 50 or so, and got injured before the ****show that was Japan.

In that sense, he has had a better world cup than any other backrow so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabb1tts Jump View Post

He played well against Scotland for the 50 or so, and got injured before the ****show that was Japan.

Jesus H Chris...
              \"Only Pienaar, Botha and Ferris would be in contention for a place on our first 15. That\'s a fact.\" - Tickettout\'s take on Ulster April 2011.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabb1tts Jump View Post

Nah!

Comment

Scotland run riot v Russia, amazing what heads up off the cuff rugby can do. if only...
                  Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

Comment

Originally posted by Sulla View Post
                    Scotland run riot v Russia, amazing what heads up off the cuff rugby can do. if only...
                    Ya. Dont forget it was Scotland's B team too which makes it even worse for us

Hard to call how they will do against Japan. Could see it going either way for them

Comment

The Scotland team seem to be enjoying themselves, no place for that kind of thing in rugby

Comment

Fiji power over for a try against the Wales. 5-0
                        "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Originally posted by TheRedRoar94 View Post

Ya. Dont forget it was Scotland's B team too which makes it even worse for us

Hard to call how they will do against Japan. Could see it going either way for them
                          It could- genuinely exciting game in prospect- besides our own, though I've watched loads, there havent been many that were very enthralling (except last mins of Japan against Samoa!)

Comment

Fiji could've had 3 or 4 more tries, their back three are some players.

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

It could- genuinely exciting game in prospect- besides our own, though I've watched loads, there havent been many that were very enthralling (except last mins of Japan against Samoa!)
                              From a neutral perspective our group is the only real point of interest heading in to the final round of pool games

France v England may also be good but ultimately everything else is decided

Comment

TV crews over here booking hotels in oita in case england v france is moved. Announcement due in morning to give teams time for captains run friday. Also could affect scotland v japan

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X