RWC 2019 31 Man squad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AwayFromHome View Post
    Back to the topic of the thread I was thinking this morning about the quality of players outside of the 31 man squad.

Using the same positional breakdown that Joe used for the selected 31 and giving preference to the players Joe has used over the last few years rather than my own bias:

J McGrath/J Cronin, Herring/Tracy/Heffernan, Bealham/Moore/Archer or Bent
    Toner, Dillane, Roux, Threadwell
    JOD, Murphy, TOD, Deegan, Dorris (admittedly the last 2 have't been capped by Joe but I don't think its a stretch to say that they are next in line)
    Marmion/Cooney, Ross Byrne/JJ/Tyler, Rory Scan/McCloskey, Luke Marshall/Tom Farrell
    Haley, Addison, Dave Kearney, Sweetnam, McFadden

That squad (coached by Schmidt) would be better placed to compete in a world cup or 6 nations than anything we had from the mid 80s up to to the early 2000s.

Players abroad playing at top tier level not available for selection: Madigan, Zebo, Ryan, Jackson, Olding, Whitten, Steenson, Keatley
    Players injured or retired early due to injury who 4 years ago would have hoped to be in RWC19 squad: Leavy, Heaslip, SOB, Luke Fitz, Jared Payne, Mike Sherry, Dominic Ryan, Kevin McLaughlin, Darren Cave, Chris Henry, Felix Jones

Its a testament to the player development systems that the union have put in place over the past 2 decades; a B&I Lion, a few Grand Slam winners, some 6N winners, a gaggle of HEC and Pro14 medalists, 1 world young player of the year winner and one nominee all omitted from our final squad without so much as a whimper.

By comparison in 2003 Neil Doak made the squad and finished his career without ever even getting a cap. (that squad also had Rags, Hoggy and an uncapped Paddy Wallace)
    Of GT's prematurely finished XI six played in the back row...
    Gwan Joe!!

Comment

I'd be happy with a back division of:

CM Jonty
      Earls Aki Farrell Stockdale
      Conway

McGrath Carbery Ringrose

Lar Mór in for Keith if he is not ready
      Two scrum-halfs only makes me nervous
      Last edited by ustix; 18-September-2019, 09:34.
      Gwan Joe!!

Comment

If Keith is out, Joe will probably go with Larmour at FB, though I'd prefer to see him on the wing with Conway at 15.

Comment

Originally posted by Daithi View Post

Stay classy dude.

I called you out most recently on talking crap (again) about Marmion coming off the bench, yet if you'd read the squad you'd have realised he's been left in Ireland (albeit unfortunately).

So now you've spat the soother out completely, and are just getting plain nasty....tut, tut.

Go away, get a nappy change, clean yourself up a bit & try to act a bit more like a grown up , will ya!?......
          "World cup over, Ireland out at the quarters now by a margin, sorry!! "

MOD EDIT
          "They’re the benchmark that everyone else has to raise their game to meet." Alan Quinlan on Leinster

Comment

Originally posted by offshorerules View Post
            "world cup over, ireland out at the quarters now by a margin, sorry!! "
            Mod edit

Mod edit

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

Lads, both of ye drop it please.
              Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Didn't realize SAs last pool game is on the 8th and Irelands is on the 12th, so 4 extra days rest for them. That's a big advantage.
                Edit NZ are playing on the 12th too.
                Last edited by kahalui; 20-September-2019, 20:03.

Comment

Fairly low key here before a World Cup. No talk yet of anthems.

Comment

Zeebs quoted in de paper today saying Ireland should relax the overseas player rule, especially for RWCs. Apparently it won’t result in more players moving abroad because they want to stay and play for their provinces anyway.

Seems a bit lacking in self-awareness.

Comment

Originally posted by kahalui View Post
                      Didn't realize SAs last pool game is on the 8th and Irelands is on the 12th, so 4 extra days rest for them. That's a big advantage.
                      Edit NZ are playing on the 12th too.
                      I'd say Sexton will need more than an extra four days recovery time. The guy is crocked as is Carbery.

Comment

Zeebooo

Comment

Any updates on Murphy’s injury?

Comment

Originally posted by kahalui View Post
                            Zeebooo
                            Some of his comments on Schmidt's coaching were interesting, he didn't say it directly but strongly suggested players feel fearful to express themselves during in game in case they make a mistake and get humiliated in front of their peers during reviews.
                            It's not difficult to believe given the number of exciting backs who've entered the Schmidt system only to be slowly turned into unspectacular, workmanlike system players who do the basics very well but offer little in terms of creativity. It's no wonder we're struggling to find a 2nd playmaker among those.

Comment

Originally posted by Dowlinz View Post

Some of his comments on Schmidt's coaching were interesting, he didn't say it directly but strongly suggested players feel fearful to express themselves during in game in case they make a mistake and get humiliated in front of their peers during reviews.
                              It's not difficult to believe given the number of exciting backs who've entered the Schmidt system only to be slowly turned into unspectacular, workmanlike system players who do the basics very well but offer little in terms of creativity. It's no wonder we're struggling to find a 2nd playmaker among those.
                              You could say the same thing about Gordon D'arcy who was very much already a shunting, battering ram used for hard carries for few yards by the time Joe inherited him. Unrecognisable from his breakthrough Six Nations in 2004.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X