RWC 2019 31 Man squad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lawrence View Post

That explanation of the English game is all well and good, but it doesn’t explain the hiding they gave us in the 6N.
    If we are to meet England in the RWC i think it's far better now for us to have experienced those losses to them
    Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

Comment

This England team have the hex on Ireland in a big way at the mo, e.g. 6 Ns & another hammering from them only 2 weeks ago!!

'Thankfully' Ireland won't meet them this tournament till a final, but unfortunately all big sides will try to replicate what they & Wales (6Ns) have done to us in the past 9 months..... so Ireland better have a counter plan A & B for this.

Likely route to a Final & RWC win:

Scotland
      Japan (away)
      Russia
      Samoa
      SA/NZ
      AUS
      NZ/Eng/OTHER

Is this doable for this Irish team?Maybe imho, but only with a few cold selection calls, full squad rotation and, brave gameplans & tactics. This great coach has come up short in all of these areas previously. Let's see has both he learned, and if so, can squad Ireland deliver. Huge asks...
      Last edited by Daithi; 10th-September-2019, 13:58.

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

What's the use in worrying?!
        Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Originally posted by ustix View Post
          What's the use in worrying?!
          It's never worth your while, so...

Comment

That explanation of the English game is all well and good, but it doesn’t explain the hiding they gave us in the 6N.
            Hubris. On some unconscious level the players believed the hype and their levels dropped off. There was a more than a smattering of luck in the GS with all the chips falling the right way. We weren't quite as good as we thought we were. Equally we're not quite as bad as everyone thought we were two weeks back.

I imagine the team would relish another cut off England if it comes to pass in the tournament. Expectations are where the should be, give or take. A bit of humility no bad thing.
            Last edited by LongtimeLurker; 10th-September-2019, 14:47.

Comment

Originally posted by LongtimeLurker View Post

Hubris. On some unconscious level the players believed the hype and their levels dropped off. There was a more than a smattering of luck in the GS with all the chips falling the right way. We weren't quite as good as we thought we were. Equally we're not quite as bad as everyone thought we were two weeks back.

I imagine the team would relish another cut off England if it comes to pass in the tournament. Expectations are where the should be, give or take. A bit of humility no bad thing.

Hubris? Unconscious beliefs? That’s an excuse.

We got hammered at home by England. That’s not humility, that’s humiliation. Hopefully we have answers for a team like that because to Win a world Cup we will have to.

Comment

I hope and imagine Joe has two distinct plans in place for two very different animals for any quarter final we might reach. We can beat SA and we can beat NZ and there might not be any shame in losing to either of them. Rassie's inside information sticks in my craw tbh but that's pro sport., the durtburd.

England could be goosed by semi-final time in more ways than one, but I'd love it if we beat them in Japan.
                Last edited by ustix; 10th-September-2019, 19:22.
                Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Originally posted by ustix View Post
                  I hope and imagine Joe has two distinct plans in place for two very different animals for any quarter final we might reach. We can beat SA and we can beat NZ and there might not be any shame in losing to either of them. Rassie's inside information sticks in my craw tbh but that's pro sport.

England could be goosed by semi-final time in more ways than one, but I'd love it if we beat them in Japan.

On our day day we can beat England, we just haven't been on our day this year, that could continue or we could be saying how it was all a master plan.

Rassie might know a lot, although he is gone a while, but Joe could easily be on the All blacks touch line sometime in the future and he knows more about our players than they do themselves.

Comment

On our day day we can beat England, we just haven't been on our day this year, that could continue or we could be saying how it was all a master plan.

Rassie might know a lot, although he is gone a while, but Joe could easily be on the All blacks touch line sometime in the future and he knows more about our players than they do themselves.
                    The only thing that's surprised me in rugby in the last few years was them kiwis inviting ROG into the fold.

I guess he has/had somefing they was after.
                    Gwan Joe!!

Comment

re bolded: a year is an awful long time not to be on form.

Re italics: it's not just Rassie but Felix Jones, who not only coached Munster but part timed with Ireland (on tour iirc). And he has been recruited by SA to analyse opposition defences I.e. to pick IRELAND ,who he coached apart.

At the very minimum this means renaming every attack play, maybe every play (who is to say he doesn't have a copy of the lineout calls). In reality it means renaming everything, using a whole book of new & different plays and revising some of your attacking patterns.

I don't think the media picked up on how big a mercenary contract the Felix deal this is. Put it this way, I'd prefer if Ireland face the ABs than this rejuvenated SA with both Rassie and Felix conjuring the smarts - like Yikes!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Daithi View Post

re bolded: a year is an awful long time not to be on form.

Re italics: it's not just Rassie but Felix Jones, who not only coached Munster but part timed with Ireland (on tour iirc). And he has been recruited by SA to analyse opposition defences I.e. to pick IRELAND ,who he coached apart.

At the very minimum this means renaming every attack play, maybe every play (who is to say he doesn't have a copy of the lineout calls). In reality it means renaming everything, using a whole book of new & different plays and revising some of your attacking patterns.

I don't think the media picked up on how big a mercenary contract the Felix deal this is. Put it this way, I'd prefer if Ireland face the ABs than this rejuvenated SA with both Rassie and Felix conjuring the smarts - like Yikes!!!
                        Its a few years back now, but our then coach had moved to another team. He had a move called 'rip' where the scrum half would move across towards the outside pillar defender and do a flick inside to an inside runner. Anyway, this was called by the scrummie, so the clever lad that I am, I waited to smash the insider runner . Scrum half went by my outside shoulder and made a nice break.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabb1tts Jump View Post

Its a few years back now, but our then coach had moved to another team. He had a move called 'rip' where the scrum half would move across towards the outside pillar defender and do a flick inside to an inside runner. Anyway, this was called by the scrummie, so the clever lad that I am, I waited to smash the insider runner . Scrum half went by my outside shoulder and made a nice break.
                          It's business not personal.
                          It'll be interesting to see where Fla and Felix and Stu and Van Graan and Joe and Iddie, Faz and Co., Rowantree and Larkham, rock up next. Plumtree was a curious one.
                          Last edited by ustix; 10th-September-2019, 20:00.
                          Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Indeed it is - but if South Africa’s players are told x means something and X is slightly varied, then they can end up making mistakes to our advantage.

Comment

It's come a long way from peeping Toms in the woods
                              Last edited by ustix; 10th-September-2019, 20:35.
                              Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Yes, but even the likelihood that Ireland have to rename their whole playbook(s) means that the Irish squad are already expending extra effort cos of Felix working for the (potential) 'enemy'.

That's extra effort & energy that might be better spent elsewhere e.g. conjuring & learning some new lineout options, attack plays, studying opposition plays, etc,etc,etc
                                Last edited by Daithi; 10th-September-2019, 20:55.

Comment

Working...
                                X