RWC 2019 31 Man squad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Talking Sense View Post

Interesting thoughts, I’m trying to guess who Joe will pick though.

On form Killer starts but I just can’t see Joe dropping Healy, ditto Best. Hendo is nailed on to start alongside Ryan I would gues. Conan has done nothing to make Pom oust Vdf so I don’t see any surprises there. We know what the first choice halves and back 3 is, if Earls is out he ll surely go with Conway. It’s centre where the question comes up, did Henshaw do enough? Ringrose has been a firm favourite for a few years now so will Aki get cut despite his obvious consistently fine displays.
    Am sure you’re right about Killer- though I’d be less sure about Hendo. We were up against an outstanding second row an did very well- joe has given Kleyn every chance to shine- so I think he will start against Scotland. Am sure he will pick VDF, and I think we need what POM provides at line out, as well as general gnarl against Scotland. Ringrose did well enough when he came on, but I thought Henshaw got through a lot of good work, and for me, would start. If earls doesn’t play, and he must be a doubt, suspect joe will go for larmour/ringrose starting.

All that said, the squad is as good as joe was likely to select, and the debacle against England aside, we are in good shape heading off. The decision to leave Toner behind shows a remarkable clinical/ ‘callous’ side to joe. I can see Best picking up a niggle before the Scotland game, and stating against Japan. How leadership and energy around the field is doesn’t balance the line out mess ( particularly against Scotland).

Comment

For Scotland; Hendo will replace Kleyn (don't know if Kleyn will make the bench). POM will replace one of Conan or JVDF. If POM replaces JDVF then Beirne may replace Conan. Earls may lose out to Conway if he is not 100% and Larmour will lose out to Stockdale. On the bench Carty might lose out to Carberry or he may keep Carberry back to start against Japan. Porter may lose out to John Ryan or as with Carberry he may hold Ryan back to start against Japan. Overall I'd say a 3 or 4 of the players who don't make the 23 against Scotland will start against Japan. (Plenty of Munster men may be in that category; Farrell, Conway, Ryan, Beirne, Kleyn, Carberry, Scannell)

I think that all of the close calls (Killer v Healy, Conway v the current first choice back 3, Scanell/Cronin v Best, the best backrow combination etc will all get plenty of chances to make their case over the 4 pool games and I hope Joe has one hell of a headache the week leading up to the QF.

Comment

Earls declared fit to travel thank god.
        \"Only Pienaar, Botha and Ferris would be in contention for a place on our first 15. That\'s a fact.\" - Tickettout\'s take on Ulster April 2011.

Comment

Originally posted by AwayFromHome View Post
          For Scotland; Hendo will replace Kleyn (don't know if Kleyn will make the bench). POM will replace one of Conan or JVDF. If POM replaces JDVF then Beirne may replace Conan. Earls may lose out to Conway if he is not 100% and Larmour will lose out to Stockdale. On the bench Carty might lose out to Carberry or he may keep Carberry back to start against Japan. Porter may lose out to John Ryan or as with Carberry he may hold Ryan back to start against Japan. Overall I'd say a 3 or 4 of the players who don't make the 23 against Scotland will start against Japan. (Plenty of Munster men may be in that category; Farrell, Conway, Ryan, Beirne, Kleyn, Carberry, Scannell)

I think that all of the close calls (Killer v Healy, Conway v the current first choice back 3, Scanell/Cronin v Best, the best backrow combination etc will all get plenty of chances to make their case over the 4 pool games and I hope Joe has one hell of a headache the week leading up to the QF.
          Suspect the team that faces Scotland will be very similar to the team that plays Japan. Don't think there'll be many changes until the Russia match. Team to face Samoa likely to be a mix and match of first choice and reserves.

Comment

Has he actually been declared fit, or just that he's travelling?
            "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
            Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Comment

Originally posted by The Last Stand View Post

Maybe we should.
              Certainly should think about it against the likes of Salaries.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Gibson View Post

Suspect the team that faces Scotland will be very similar to the team that plays Japan. Don't think there'll be many changes until the Russia match. Team to face Samoa likely to be a mix and match of first choice and reserves.
                I hope not, but time will tell. You may well be right.

We should be able to rotate and beat both Japan and Scotland. Keep players fresh and guessing whether they will make the cut for the QF.

Comment

In announcing it Schmidt also said that there was no reason to have him play on on Saturday when he felt a twinge, a swipe at Garland's decision to let Anscobe play on when he was injured at Twickenham.

Comment

In announcing it Schmidt also said that there was no reason to have him play on on Saturday when he felt a twinge, a swipe at Garland's decision to let Anscobe play on when he was injured at Twickenham.
                    JS unlike Gatland does not do swipes like that. A statement of fact.

Comment

I hope not, but time will tell. You may well be right.

We should be able to rotate and beat both Japan and Scotland. Keep players fresh and guessing whether they will make the cut for the QF.
                      I think what we saw on Saturday (with stockdale in, scannell on bench) will be what faces Scotland and is very capable of getting a decent win. I would expect changes for Japan (making sure everyone who travelled has a game), with then gradual rotation across the rest of the games.

Its good to have Scotland up front- we know them well, are similar sides, and similar familiarity with the conditions, the Japan game is harder to judge but then we’re cruising to a huge QF- with a squad in good shape, perhaps against a side who has had more challenge to qualify. Get to last 4 in tact and who knows. I don’t think there’s any way Joe will load the bases for the first two games- unnecessary risk.

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

I think what we saw on Saturday (with stockdale in, scannell on bench) will be what faces Scotland and is very capable of getting a decent win. I would expect changes for Japan (making sure everyone who travelled has a game), with then gradual rotation across the rest of the games.

Its good to have Scotland up front- we know them well, are similar sides, and similar familiarity with the conditions, the Japan game is harder to judge but then we’re cruising to a huge QF- with a squad in good shape, perhaps against a side who has had more challenge to qualify. Get to last 4 in tact and who knows. I don’t think there’s any way Joe will load the bases for the first two games- unnecessary risk.
                        If Ireland can't, or don't, rotate fully between any & all of our group games, we have no business even mentioning turning over an SA or NZ in the 1/4 final.

If Ireland's top side go into that game even just a little unrecovered, or tired or carrying unnecessary niggles, or whatever due to lack of rotation v Samoa & others, we simply will not be at the races.

Hands up who is sick to the teeth of watching jaded, over played Irish teams being as flat as a pancake at RWC 1/4 final stage (2015, 2011, 2003, etc,etc,etc), only to be beaten out the gate by fresher, fitter, faster looking teams at that stage. This year we've earned a group & a draw to avoid this predicament, so Ireland should bloody well use this opportunity wisely imho!!!

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

I tink Joe has his ducks lined up in a row this time
                          Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Originally posted by ustix View Post
                            I hope you're right Ustix, I really hope that you're right...

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

Originally posted by ustix View Post
                              It does appear that the England game was, in large part, due to the lads being both knackered and not having played much rugby. England were way more up to speed. Still some question marks about our attacking game and ability to mix it with the (really) big boys but I'm a lot more confident after the Wales game.

Could it be we've finally got our planning spot on and are coming in reasonably under the radar, with pretty much everybody in fine fettle, fit as they've ever been, and with a favourable draw until the QF?

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

It does appear that the England game was, in large part, due to the lads being both knackered and not having played much rugby. England were way more up to speed. Still some question marks about our attacking game and ability to mix it with the (really) big boys but I'm a lot more confident after the Wales game.

Could it be we've finally got our planning spot on and are coming in reasonably under the radar, with pretty much everybody in fine fettle, fit as they've ever been, and with a favourable draw until the QF?
                                That explanation of the English game is all well and good, but it doesn’t explain the hiding they gave us in the 6N.

Comment

Working...
                                X