Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RWC 2019 31 Man squad

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by neliog93 View Post
    If I were a billionaire I'd move to sunny Suva and set up a Super Rugby team (and invest in youth facilities etc) so that these guys had a viable professional option of staying at home. Think Jaguares but for top-level Fijian, Samoan and Tongan players..
    I'd build a big tall house with rooms by the dozen
    Right in the middle of the town,
    A fine tin roof with real wooden floors below.
    There would be one long staircase just going up
    And one even longer coming down,
    And one more leading nowhere, just for show.
    Gwan Joe!!

    Comment


      Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post
      Most NH nations have benefitted from tier 1 nationals who weren’t thought to be good enough to play for the country of their birth. Some SH teams (aus, nz). They move, qualify and challenge for international places. While this - in one sense- denies opportunities to ‘local’ players’, but if they are not good enough to be picked ahead of qualified players, I have no problem with that. (perhaps we need a limit on the number who can be in a match day squad). In most cases this doesn’t deny their home nation players they would have picked. What I have a real problem with is countries which can’t support a professional game, having young players harvested up by tier 1 nations. I don’t want the players concerned to lose out on playing professionally- perhaps tier 1 nations could financially sponsor tier 2 players to stay at home?
      they need to give them a bigger cut of the gate when they come north to play in the autumn internationals. wasn't there a big stink about it a year or two back when it was revealed what England were paying out to one of the PI nations for a game at Twickenham ? It was a pittance compaed to what the rfu was going to take in. Giving them 10-15% of the gate would inject a lot of cash into their unions and would (hopefully) help keep players from moving abroad so early in their careers.

      Comment


        Originally posted by Finnegan79 View Post

        they need to give them a bigger cut of the gate when they come north to play in the autumn internationals. wasn't there a big stink about it a year or two back when it was revealed what England were paying out to one of the PI nations for a game at Twickenham ? It was a pittance compaed to what the rfu was going to take in. Giving them 10-15% of the gate would inject a lot of cash into their unions and would (hopefully) help keep players from moving abroad so early in their careers.
        The trouble with that is that touring costs them money, and there isn’t really the space in the calendar for the top tier nations (where the money is) to play them. A small levy on all tier 1 gatemoney would probably make a huge difference, and in time would make the lower tier teams more competitive, because they would retain access to their best players.

        Comment


          Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

          The trouble with that is that touring costs them money, and there isn’t really the space in the calendar for the top tier nations (where the money is) to play them. A small levy on all tier 1 gatemoney would probably make a huge difference, and in time would make the lower tier teams more competitive, because they would retain access to their best players.
          That's socialism jagaway, this is International Rugby.
          Gwan Joe!!

          Comment


            Originally posted by ustix View Post

            That's socialism jagaway, this is International Rugby.
            I suspect that is the first and last time I will ever be accused of being socialist!

            Comment


              Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

              I suspect that is the first and last time I will ever be accused of being socialist!
              You could be called worse.
              Gwan Joe!!

              Comment


                Any chance we can move the residency stuff to another chat please lads?

                Im far more interested in hearing who’s going to play centre, I think the rest of the team picks itself
                \"Only Pienaar, Botha and Ferris would be in contention for a place on our first 15. That\'s a fact.\" - Tickettout\'s take on Ulster April 2011.

                Comment


                  Originally posted by Talking Sense View Post
                  Any chance we can move the residency stuff to another chat please lads?

                  Im far more interested in hearing who’s going to play centre, I think the rest of the team picks itself
                  Aside from loose head. I still think he might spring a surprise in the BR.

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by Talking Sense View Post
                    Any chance we can move the residency stuff to another chat please lads?

                    Im far more interested in hearing who’s going to play centre, I think the rest of the team picks itself
                    Fair point, got dragged off topic.

                    For what it’s worth, having watched it again just now, it seemed to me the best we played all year. Still evident problems, of course, especially with the line out, but the scrum, with Kleyn and Ryan, looked very efficient. Aki looks a player reborn, the weight loss looks looked to have increased his mobility, and I thought our centre pairing today was as good as we’ve seen. Killer looks in great shape and hitting his bet form. Good performances all round, excluding a bit of understandable rustiness by Sexton early on, best game by CJ, Murray and Bobert for a long while. I’d bring in Scannell, Beirne at 8, and POM for vdf (the latter on bench, with hendo, for when games loosen up). This isn’t meant to be Munster-centric, just what I see as being our strongest starting side.

                    Comment


                      Have Munster played a CJ, Beirne, POM backrow?

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by Rabb1tts Jump View Post
                        Have Munster played a CJ, Beirne, POM backrow?
                        I don’t believe so
                        \"Only Pienaar, Botha and Ferris would be in contention for a place on our first 15. That\'s a fact.\" - Tickettout\'s take on Ulster April 2011.

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

                          For what it’s worth, having watched it again just now, it seemed to me the best we played all year. Still evident problems, of course, especially with the line out, but the scrum, with Kleyn and Ryan, looked very efficient. Aki looks a player reborn, the weight loss looks looked to have increased his mobility, and I thought our centre pairing today was as good as we’ve seen. Killer looks in great shape and hitting his bet form. Good performances all round, excluding a bit of understandable rustiness by Sexton early on, best game by CJ, Murray and Bobert for a long while. I’d bring in Scannell, Beirne at 8, and POM for vdf (the latter on bench, with hendo, for when games loosen up). This isn’t meant to be Munster-centric, just what I see as being our strongest starting side.
                          Interesting thoughts, I’m trying to guess who Joe will pick though.

                          On form Killer starts but I just can’t see Joe dropping Healy, ditto Best. Hendo is nailed on to start alongside Ryan I would gues. Conan has done nothing to make Pom oust Vdf so I don’t see any surprises there. We know what the first choice halves and back 3 is, if Earls is out he ll surely go with Conway. It’s centre where the question comes up, did Henshaw do enough? Ringrose has been a firm favourite for a few years now so will Aki get cut despite his obvious consistently fine displays.
                          \"Only Pienaar, Botha and Ferris would be in contention for a place on our first 15. That\'s a fact.\" - Tickettout\'s take on Ulster April 2011.

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by Rabb1tts Jump View Post
                            Have Munster played a CJ, Beirne, POM backrow?
                            Maybe we should.

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by The Last Stand View Post

                              Maybe we should.
                              That would be interesting to see. The opposing teams would have to seriously commit numbers to every breakdown or risk getting poached more than usual since all three are effective in getting at the ball.

                              Comment


                                Unfortunately for Ringrose, and I like him as a player, Henshaw's game at 13 on Saturday was better than anything Ringrose has ever played for Ireland, and infinitely better than anything he's done in 2019.

                                It's Aki & Henshaw for me based on what we've seen to date. Though Farrell may even be better than Aki at 12 Imho.....
                                ____________________________________________
                                Munster were great when they were Munster.

                                alas they are just north munster now.......
                                ____________________________________________

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X