No announcement yet.

RWC 2019 31 Man squad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In fairness most of that Leinster backline are w@nkers, Farcy, Bod, Lukey, Shag all insufferable tossers, Denis Hickie the only one who comes across well and as being sound.
    \"Only Pienaar, Botha and Ferris would be in contention for a place on our first 15. That\'s a fact.\" - Tickettout\'s take on Ulster April 2011.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabb1tts Jump View Post
      He played every game on probably the greatest Irish team, the 2009 Grand Slam team at the age of 22 or 23. He was by any definition a fine rugby player.

I get it that he played for Leinster, went to Blackrock and speaks with a particular accent. But to deny his quality as a rugby player is bizarre, and not to acknowledge the impact of injuries on his career is even further nonsense. He’s still only 32 or so.
      He played on a fine team but he was average. He had quick feet and pace so he stood out as a schoolboy and was massively over-hyped. His terrible strike rate is testament to how ordinary he was.

His complaining about the overseas rule is a bit silly now it’s been changed to five years.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Rabb1tts Jump View Post
          He played every game on probably the greatest Irish team, the 2009 Grand Slam team at the age of 22 or 23. He was by any definition a fine rugby player.

I get it that he played for Leinster, went to Blackrock and speaks with a particular accent. But to deny his quality as a rugby player is bizarre, and not to acknowledge the impact of injuries on his career is even further nonsense. He’s still only 32 or so.
          Journalist/opinion pundit says something clickbaitey

That's the end of the beans really and truly. It's the internet, getting offended over sleights and stupidity is the biggest draw of all.

Like the last 4 or 5 project players this will be forgotten in about 5 days and when another one comes along some hack will use it to generate clicks

Wax on, wax off
          I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by lawrence View Post

He is only saying this because of his mate in this instance, granted he has raised this issue previously but he’s not talking about the level of players in other squads which is much higher in other instances and he gives no credit to the fact that the rules have been changed.

He has personalised it to one player which is a cheap shot, because it’s much bigger than one player, a player who has done nothing but abide by the rules and put a huge amount of effort into the Munster Jersey and earned his place.
            As a bolter his not done enough from what Ive seen to earn his place. But Joe gets to see far more than us. I've lived in Japan and the conditions probably wont suit Toner. A man of his size. Maybe he hasnt recovered the fitness they feel he would need.
            Marmion was unlucky . At least there is a case for leaving Toner & maybe the gameplan they are hoping to play is changing.
            I always liked Dev . He got more out of his career then many thought possible and had some great days. People slag him but he gave Ireland some great ball.
            When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect Hungry

Comment

All the attention is on Toner but no mention of other positions. There's only 2 scrumhalves travelling and our starting SH hasn't been in great form this season... McGrath would be 4th choice if I was picking the squad.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post

Journalist/opinion pundit says something clickbaitey

That's the end of the beans really and truly. It's the internet, getting offended over sleights and stupidity is the biggest draw of all.

Like the last 4 or 5 project players this will be forgotten in about 5 days and when another one comes along some hack will use it to generate clicks

Wax on, wax off
                Not sure it's as easy as that buddy. Lemon suckers like Cummiskey or Franno produce plenty of clickbait directed at Munster, particularly in the run-up to and aftermath of red v blue clashes, and it's invariably pretty run of the mill stuff that generally prompts a good laugh at the expense of whichever individual uncurled it, then we all move on.

But those kind of articles tend not to single out individuals in this manner and for this sort of reason. Fitzgerald's efforts are more akin to - if not as relentless as, at least not yet - the sort of vitriol that was heaped on Grobler when he was with us. Barely a murmur at the time of his signing, then months later a f*ckton of faux outrage and vitriol when it suited the crayon scribblers, which was horrendous for the individual targeted and ultimately was a factor in his departure from our shores. This sort of sh*t-stirring should be called out for the nasty, vicious, petty bitterness that it is.
                Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Was interesting listening to Murray Kinsella on the 42.ie podcast yesterday talking about Ireland's preparation this Summer. He mentioned that the ball-in-play time per game at the last RWC was approx 37 mins and that it's now just over the 40 min mark. He said that Ireland had been training for 50 min ball-in-hand games during the Summer.

Comment

Originally posted by kahalui View Post
                    All the attention is on Toner but no mention of other positions. There's only 2 scrumhalves travelling and our starting SH hasn't been in great form this season... McGrath would be 4th choice if I was picking the squad.
                    And Cooney would have been my second choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Gibson View Post
                      Was interesting listening to Murray Kinsella on the 42.ie podcast yesterday talking about Ireland's preparation this Summer. He mentioned that the ball-in-play time per game at the last RWC was approx 37 mins and that it's now just over the 40 min mark. He said that Ireland had been training for 50 min ball-in-hand games during the Summer.
                      Interesting alright. They look pretty lean and fit, but with our staid game plan, not sure if that's going to win us key games against bigger sides like the Boks. All well and good to say we're gonna run the legs off them but you have to be able to play ball to do that, not just hit it up or kick and chase.

Comment

Originally posted by mr chips View Post

Not sure it's as easy as that buddy. Lemon suckers like Cummiskey or Franno produce plenty of clickbait directed at Munster, particularly in the run-up to and aftermath of red v blue clashes, and it's invariably pretty run of the mill stuff that generally prompts a good laugh at the expense of whichever individual uncurled it, then we all move on.

But those kind of articles tend not to single out individuals in this manner and for this sort of reason. Fitzgerald's efforts are more akin to - if not as relentless as, at least not yet - the sort of vitriol that was heaped on Grobler when he was with us. Barely a murmur at the time of his signing, then months later a f*ckton of faux outrage and vitriol when it suited the crayon scribblers, which was horrendous for the individual targeted and ultimately was a factor in his departure from our shores. This sort of sh*t-stirring should be called out for the nasty, vicious, petty bitterness that it is.
                        Agree entirely, suppose my way of framing this is yerman doesn't really deserve too much credence, and hasnt shown much to change my mind.

What would you expect from a pig but a grunt? empty vessels make most noise, and so on
                        I am the million man.

Comment

This is ~ how all sides will try to play against Ireland now:

https://youtu.be/gm9zeAJMVtc

And unfortunately 2019, has yet to reveal a Schmidt Ireland gameplan that can counter such an approach executed well
                          e.g with England twice and Wales once both hammering Ireland using ~ this approach..... .
                          Last edited by Daithi; 6th-September-2019, 13:20.

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

Interesting alright. They look pretty lean and fit, but with our staid game plan, not sure if that's going to win us key games against bigger sides like the Boks. All well and good to say we're gonna run the legs off them but you have to be able to play ball to do that, not just hit it up or kick and chase.
                            Someone, and for the life of me I can't remember who, was saying before any of the warm-up games that Ireland would try and keep the ball in play more and would use the crossfield kicks to do so rather than kick the ball into touch when the lineout could be shaky. It's a higher risk play given the chance of the opposing team picking it off but it keeps the other team moving.

This newer game plan, maybe not the one I mentioned above, might also be why CJ, Killer and Bundee, most noticeably have slimmed down in the past year or so.

Comment

Originally posted by barryfitz87 View Post

Someone, and for the life of me I can't remember who, was saying before any of the warm-up games that Ireland would try and keep the ball in play more and would use the crossfield kicks to do so rather than kick the ball into touch when the lineout could be shaky. It's a higher risk play given the chance of the opposing team picking it off but it keeps the other team moving.

This newer game plan, maybe not the one I mentioned above, might also be why CJ, Killer and Bundee, most noticeably have slimmed down in the past year or so.
                              Donnacha Ryan was suggesting this a few weeks ago after the Italy match.

Comment

If you were Joe Schmidt having won the Slam. beaten SA and Aus away and got rid of the NZ monkey of the backs of Ireland players, would you then reinvent your game for the 2019 RWC only to reveal all your plays ahead of it in the 2019 Six Nations?

And if your RWC experience had taught you that one very physical game can break the backbone of your team and eave you wishing you'd brought solid back ups in each position wouldn't you take that lesson to heart and move beyond in it the next opportunity you had?

I can't help feeling that Schmidt as constructed a plan for Ireland that is designed to address the weaknesses exposed in the Six Nations, that probably involves using the talents of Carbery and Sexton and that uses the entire squad to navigate the pool stage with an eye to leaving the team capable of playing anyone no matter who is lost.

We'll need a bit of luck for sure in hoping the right questions come up and injuries are kept low, but this is a huge test for our school teacher and he's had four years to prepare for his examination.

I expect him to do very well indeed.
                                Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2020.

Comment

Working...
                                X