RWC 2019 31 Man squad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AwayFromHome View Post

So you're accepting that your first statement about requiring to be born in Spain to have citizenship or work in the public sector is demonstrably untrue. The truth is that you can do either if you are willing to relinquish your original citizenship. As you were the one to bring this a a parallel to the residency rules this is exactly what Stander, Aki and Kleyn have done - relinquish their rights to play for other countries for whom they were previously eligible.

Your willingness to give up your Irish passport is simply not relevant to this discussion. That's a matter of personal choice and nothing else.

I can also tel you that in the case of citizens of countries that do not allow nationality to be relinquished legally (Morocco for example) that Spain will grant an exemption.

With regard to your request for me to give you examples of people who do work in the Spanish civil service, that's a level of whataboutarry that even Sammy Wilson would be ashamed of. You've made a claim and you can't provide a single shred of evidence to back it up.
    Yeah, you've been owned there. Nothing more to be said about it.. hopefully.

Comment

Originally posted by kahalui View Post

As I said, it's not as black and white as you've been claiming with your extensive knowledge (google quotes) on the subject of Spanish residency/citizenship. First and foremost, in order to start the process, you'd have to pass the language proficiency test which basically requires you to be able to write and speak native level Spanish, which would automatically exclude 99.99% of 'applicants'.

I haven't gone into ALL the relevant details about citizenship because I don't feel like boring everyone and derailing the Ire world cup thread any further with essays on the reality of Spanish administration laws in practice.

Do Aki, Stander etc have to relinquish their Kiwi and SA PASSPORTS in order to play for Ireland. No, they don't, so your example is pointless, no matter how many times you repeat it.

Theory and practice are two completely separate subjects when it comes to what is and isn't legal within the Spanish system. I have lived here long enough to know that and don't feel the need to quote links from google to try to convince you of anything.
      Ah stop, would you. Each of these points is garbage.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Snrub View Post

Ah stop, would you. Each of these points is garbage.
        Enlighten me, Mr Snrub.

Comment

Awayfromhome, if you're sincerely interested in discussing this topic (and not just being proved right), either pick the appropriate thread or PM me, and I'll gladly engage the subject further.

Comment

Originally posted by kahalui View Post

Enlighten me, Mr Snrub.

Please don't feed the troll....

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by In Joe we trust View Post

Luke highlighted that he wasn't happy with Dillane being dropped from the squad with Kleyn being ahead of him whilst he wasn't even Irish qualified so it's nothing to do with Dev not being picked.

If you listened to Luke on is podcast you'll see that he says quite clearly that he wasn't a fan of Strauss etc being picked for Ireland and isn't a fan of Lowe getting picked either highlighting would people be happy if Earls gets dropped for Lowe. I
                Fair enough. He’s not an inconsistent eejit, he’s just an eejit.

Whatever way you cut it, this stuff isn’t fair on the player selected. Not exactly a great way to encourage him to go out and put his body on the line for Ireland either. He was eligible, he convinced Joe he deserved his place, that’s it.

The rules are the rules and Fitz is entitled to disagree with them, but these attacks seem pretty personal. Play the ball, not the man.

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

Whatever way you cut it, this stuff isn’t fair on the player selected. Not exactly a great way to encourage him to go out and put his body on the line for Ireland either. He was eligible, he convinced Joe he deserved his place, that’s it.

The rules are the rules and Fitz is entitled to disagree with them, but these attacks seem pretty personal. Play the ball, not the man.
                  Would you cheer on an Ireland team with 10 guys in it who had no connection with ireland prior to signing a provincial contract? Is it just about abiding by the rules set by governing bodies?

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

He could have ground that axe for a hundred other players, but didn’t, Ian McKinley springs to mind. Will he be as vocal when James Lowe comes available? Doubtful.

Luke is probably the only ex player “pundit” with no gig for the World Cup and making a last ditch effort to pick up
                    something.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenny View Post

Would you cheer on an Ireland team with 10 guys in it who had no connection with ireland prior to signing a provincial contract? Is it just about abiding by the rules set by governing bodies?
                      You seem to have missed my point entirely. The rules are open to criticism. The shouldn’t go after the player. He’s done nothing wrong.

Comment

Zoolander is barking up the wrong tree entirely. I knew Joe likes to maximise the use of technology but even I'm a bit taken aback ...

(shamelessly stolen from boards.ie)
                        Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Luke highlighted that he wasn't happy with Dillane being dropped from the squad with Kleyn being ahead of him whilst he wasn't even Irish qualified so it's nothing to do with Dev not being picked.

If you listened to Luke on is podcast you'll see that he says quite clearly that he wasn't a fan of Strauss etc being picked for Ireland and isn't a fan of Lowe getting picked either highlighting would people be happy if Earls gets dropped for Lowe. I
                          Why is keeping Jug Ears Luke happy a priority?

Let him shout his mouth off and see what difference does it make.

Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
                          Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Did he make a similar point in 2017 when Aki first got capped keeping any number of Irish born centres out of the team?
                            He's a guy who gets up at six o'clock in the morning regardless of what time it is.

Comment

but but but but, the goys, goys?
                              I am the million man.

Comment

The debate on this residency qualifies players is mad.

I don’t like players being brought to Ireland on professional contracts by the IRFU with the long term intent they qualify for Ireland. It’s too calculating and professional.

I don’t mind it happening by accident. Lads travel the world playing rugby and some will fall in love with the country they are in and play for them, but it shouldn’t be planned by the Union.

That being said I will always cheer on an Irish team playing and support all the players in green.

However I’d prefer to see a lad come up the ranks from Tralee RFC to Ireland than a lad come over with no connection on a pro contract from the union and play for Ireland 3 years later.

Comment

Working...
                                X