No announcement yet.

RWC 2019 31 Man squad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The one thing I worry about is 3 out halves on the plane 2 currently carrying injuries. Hope the medical bods have been reading their tea leaves correctly.....
    Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Delighted for Conway & Beirne. Now hopefully both will get a fair crack at the 23 and possibly the starting team. Can’t understand Marmion omission and still don’t understand Cooney not being closer to selection. For me both are better than McGrath, picking him for knowledge of playing with Sexton / Joey is nonsense for my money. Does anyone know if they are going to publish who is on injury stand by? We’re travelling with injury clouds handing over the two primary and also the back up place kicker for the last couple of seasons, not ideal by any means. Who will take the shots if Carty goes down injured against the Russians or Samoans? McGrath? Henshaw? Farrell? Who is going to be the back up kicker on the supposed dirt trackers / Samoan cannon fodder?

Personally, would have brought Toner as I don’t think Kleyn has done enough but there you go Toners injury profile this year may have been part of the equation but there is real pressure on Kleyn to perform and not go missing which he has sometimes done in the pressure games. Henderson still ahead of him for my money and I think/hope TB will make the bench as a 5.5 as he offers something different if you have to try and chase a game.

Would be a small bit concerned that performances against a pretty dud Welsh side have had a disproportionate influence on some of the 50:50 calls. It’s pretty hard to look good when beaten up front and going backwards, those who got their chance playing Wales A got the better end of the deal rather than those who got their chance against a fully primed England. Will be very interesting to see how we go against what I presume will be a fully loaded & motivated Welsh team this weekend.

Warrens next outburst of armchair psychology will be interesting.

There is still a game to get through before they get on the plane and someone delighted today might well be devastated by Sunday. Here is hoping they get through the weekend without any further injury issues.

Opinions are like backsides we all have one, decisions now made, get behind those selected.

Come on Ireland.

Comment

How many players are going to the world cup as a result of residency rules, or through some granny rule? Why is Kleyn the sole individual focus of so much wrath, and from high profile figures in World Rugby at that?

The lad is lucky to the be going, but Toner isn't unlucky not to be. He's completely ineffective around the pitch to the point of being a liability. The shock is that Joe doesn't this more often, and hasn't done it with a few other similar players. If Kleyn wasn't picked, it would have been Roux or Dillane. This was Joe saying Dev just wasn't up to it anymore, and any of a group of 3 would have been brought in front him. He was kept to the end to give him a chance to prove things wrong, and obviously couldn't.

Kleyn has the ability to be a serious enforcer at international level, but he needs to play with bit more of a rocket up his arse. You hope the fuss over this gives him the focus to do that, think he'll start this weekend and begin to show that.
        "There are probably more annoying things than being hectored about African development by a wealthy Irish rock star in a cowboy hat, but I can't think of one at the moment"

Paul Theroux

Comment

Originally posted by busby View Post
          How many players are going to the world cup as a result of residency rules, or through some granny rule? Why is Kleyn the sole individual focus of so much wrath, and from high profile figures in World Rugby at that?

The lad is lucky to the be going, but Toner isn't unlucky not to be. He's completely ineffective around the pitch to the point of being a liability. The shock is that Joe doesn't this more often, and hasn't done it with a few other similar players. If Kleyn wasn't picked, it would have been Roux or Dillane. This was Joe saying Dev just wasn't up to it anymore, and any of a group of 3 would have been brought in front him. He was kept to the end to give him a chance to prove things wrong, and obviously couldn't.

Kleyn has the ability to be a serious enforcer at international level, but he needs to play with bit more of a rocket up his arse. You hope the fuss over this gives him the focus to do that, think he'll start this weekend and begin to show that.
          The wrath is because people are pushing their own agenda. The argies can’t attract foreign players so nobody should be allowed, the papers want to sell copies.

Kleyn is a better player than Toner, he’s no James Ryan but he’s better than Toner, the real debate is if he is better than Roux or Dillane, but that’s not relevant.

Comment

Very little discussion about Conan now. I still struggle to see what he's bringing bar being fit tbh.

Jordi started in Chicago and subbed last Nov in the second win against the Blix and he's not travelling. I've seen him, Josh, Rudders, Pete and CJ all do a lot more punishment for the Jersey than Conan ever has

Itd be fantastic if he has a huge tournament but all I've seen so far is provincial level from him imo

There's a huge difference and much much less time and space in test rugby. Hopefully he can shut me up
            I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
              Hopefully he can shut me up
              He'd be some man if he could do that!
              Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2020.

Comment

Very little discussion about Conan now. I still struggle to see what he's bringing bar being fit tbh.

Jordi started in Chicago and subbed last Nov in the second win against the Blix and he's not travelling. I've seen him, Josh, Rudders, Pete and CJ all do a lot more punishment for the Jersey than Conan ever has

Itd be fantastic if he has a huge tournament but all I've seen so far is provincial level from him imo

There's a huge difference and much much less time and space in test rugby. Hopefully he can shut me up
                Completely agree. Looks very powerful at provincial level but just doesn’t seem to have that bit extra he needs to make it at international level. Really did very little of note against a piss poor Welsh pack.

Comment

Rugbypass are a bit upset about Kleyn getting on t'plane ahead of Dev.

Comment

I’m not buying into this Kleyn Vs Toner narrative at all, it’s a complete red herring. Henderson has been the heir apparent to Toner for about 3 years and had effectively displaced him until he was injured and lost form. Henderson is on an upward curve now, has the power, athleticism and dynamism to take the jersey. As others have noted here, Dev isn’t built for the modern game.....particularly apparent against powerful mobile packs.
                    Quinn Roux has been a constant in Joe's recent squads, 6N and summer tours. While he undoubtedly has power and size, he lacks any lineout ability and at times resembles little more than a big lump. Kleyn has displaced Roux, it is literally that simple.

I still tip my cap to Toner, he always gave it his all and I particularly remember his outstanding test in SA, shortly after his dad’s passing. He’s likely one injury away from travelling anyway.

The dropping of Cooney, followed up by Marmion is a lot more of a story imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Speycaster View Post
                      I’m not buying into this Kleyn Vs Toner narrative at all, it’s a complete red herring. Henderson has been the heir apparent to Toner for about 3 years and had effectively displaced him until he was injured and lost form. Henderson is on an upward curve now, has the power, athleticism and dynamism to take the jersey. As others have noted here, Dev isn’t built for the modern game.....particularly apparent against powerful mobile packs.
                      Quinn Roux has been a constant in Joe's recent squads, 6N and summer tours. While he undoubtedly has power and size, he lacks any lineout ability and at times resembles little more than a big lump. Kleyn has displaced Roux, it is literally that simple.

I still tip my cap to Toner, he always gave it his all and I particularly remember his outstanding test in SA, shortly after his dad’s passing. He’s likely one injury away from travelling anyway.

The dropping of Cooney, followed up by Marmion is a lot more of a story imo.
                      Hard to argue with that, but Kleyn is just another big Bok lump, he's just Roux Mark II, no difference. I'd have Dillane ahead of both even though his form has been a tad inconsistent. At least he does something special every now and then. Even good old Mr. Reliable, the underrated Billy Holland, would have been a better choice.
                      Erse end of nowhere

Comment

Originally posted by theghost View Post
                        https://twitter.com/lukefitz11/statu...298113027?s=19
                        well luke Fitzgerald not happy with toner call anyway
                        Thanks for sharing this , hilarious to see Fitzgerald getting ridiculed for his comments

Comment

Joe is ultra conservative/loyal in his selections- if Devon wasn’t selected you’d imagine Schmidt had cast iron reasons for that decision.

Kleyn became part of the set up as soon as he was eligible- and clung onto that last minute opportunity- it’s a great achievement for the man, and this silliness about his SA background is unfairly blurring the success. I am still hoping he can develop further into a consistent enforcer who dominates opponents. It will be to Ireland’s and Munster’s benefit if he does, but for the moment JK, well done, you took the challenge of moving to NH, established yourself as a starting lock in a top European side, picked for your adopted rugby nation as soon as you were eligible, and representing us at the World Cup. That’s a very decent three and a bit years.

Comment

Toner looked unfit on Saturday - while I was surprised at his omission I think it was probably the right call and it also puts a bomb under others that they are not untouchable (Furlong for instance has looked lethargic).

Toner played well beyond his natural talents and ended up silencing the doubters. However, injury and time caught up with him this year.

I agree with other on the McGrath call at scrum half. Personally I would have liked Cooney but c’est la vie. The coaches see them day in and day out. They measure performance against the game strategy, fitness levels, and general attitude.

Comment

Hi folks not sure if this is allowed. I have 3 stand tickets for Wales aviva. Due to family bereavement and burial close to Saturday we cannot go. Any offers please. Will deliver

Comment

There's competition in the back row for places and the chance to start in a WC. Now if that doesn't drive someone on then nothing will. My fear is now Murray has essentially been told you're guaranteed to start but is way off form. He needs a serious injection of pace at the rucks.
                                He's a guy who gets up at six o'clock in the morning regardless of what time it is.

Comment

Working...
                                X