No announcement yet.

RWC 2019 31 Man squad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m so delighted for Conway and Kilcoyne. Conway has just been waiting for an opportunity to prove how good he is and Schmidt couldn’t ignore that, but Killer has been outstanding. The amount of work he has put in. Seeing that entire Munster fron row start on the weekend was like we’d gone back in time. Delighted for them all. Munster proud.
    The Maul is Back!! LONG LIVE THE MAUL!!

Stringer is bigger even than his own immense shadow. Pound for pound, he is the best tackler in the world. If you put him into bag of cats he\'d come out without a scratch. He was hit very late for Murphy\'s try. And when he got up, as we knew he would, the crowd cried his name as if he had just fixed the economy.Billy Keane-After Munster\'s famous loss to the AB\'s.

The Bull-Truly irreplaceable, a mountain of a man. 100 caps!!

Comment

Originally posted by ustix View Post

Agreed. Joe's baseline is to beat SA in the quarter-final. It could come down to what Jean/CJ and Felix can bring to the parties

Henshaw has been central to Joe's sides for some time. We can't really be amazed that if he's fit he's travelling.

Toner's omission would be a pleasant surprise for me, without wanting to sound vindictive. It suggests that we're not willing to compromise our ability to front up in the loose in exchange for a degree of security at the set piece.

Ultimately, a pack with Ryan, Henderson, POM, Beirne in it offers enough for any hooker with pretensions to being a test player to work with.

"We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Originally posted by Waterfordlad View Post
        With Kleyn and C Farrell included, it’s obvious Joe knows we need big hulking players to try to compete with the boks and orcs.

one added bonus of Jean K getting in is that it will drive Franno mad :)
        Add Rhys Ruddock to that and the aim has to be to field a pack of
        Healy/Killer/Porter Best/Scannell Furlong
        Ryan Kleyn
        Hendy/Ruddock CJ POM
        on Oct 20th vs Rassie and Felix's Boks.
        Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Thanks to Big Devin Toner, its a huge career hes had in green and whilst at times I felt he was too gangly on the really big days he really fronted up for Ireland.

Thanks again Dev
          I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Miguel Sanchez View Post
            I'd be interested to see what our blue spectacled friends think. Where are you In Joe We Trust?
            As mentioned I don't understand Kleyn ahead of Toner (I don't think he has shown anything to deserve a place), I also don't understand McGrath ahead of Marmian (unless injury).

Comment

Originally posted by In Joe we trust View Post

As mentioned I don't understand Kleyn ahead of Toner (I don't think he has shown anything to deserve a place), I also don't understand McGrath ahead of Marmian (unless injury).
              Mcgrath brings a small bit more pace to the game as a ‘closer’, not a lot but a small bit more. He is however inexperienced and I would prefer to see Marmion starting with his experience.

Both probably would have travelled had Sexton and Carbery been fit, but Carthy is needed and it’s a toss of a coin between Marmion and McGrath

Comment

Originally posted by lawrence View Post

Mcgrath brings a small bit more pace to the game as a ‘closer’, not a lot but a small bit more. He is however inexperienced and I would prefer to see Marmion starting with his experience.

Both probably would have travelled had Sexton and Carbery been fit, but Carthy is needed and it’s a toss of a coin between Marmion and McGrath
                I have to admit I'm not sure I agree with you. If you're looking for pace as a "closer" then JGP should have been picked. I just don't rate McGrath at all. His passing and box kicking are too inaccurate. I think if Carberry/Sexton were fit Cooney would have gone myself.

Comment

The only two selections I don't get are Kleyn ahead of Toner and McGrath ahead of Marmian.
                  McGrath Marmion was surely a pretty tight call - I think I'd have Cooney or Marmion ahead of McGrath but in fairness not much between the 3

Re Toner and Kleyn I cant understand it unless Toner is carrying an injury or two. Does seem though like this calls time on his international career.

Comment

I have to admit I'm not sure I agree with you. If you're looking for pace as a "closer" then JGP should have been picked. I just don't rate McGrath at all. His passing and box kicking are too inaccurate. I think if Carberry/Sexton were fit Cooney would have gone myself.
                    Is JGP even part of the extended squad?
                    Wasnt Cooney jettisoned when carbery was still
                    fit?

All of this is irrelevant anyway, without a fit and firing sexton we are going nowhere. Was there any update on him?

Comment

I would have taken Marmion and left Farrell or Larmour at home.

Comment

Is JGP even part of the extended squad?
                        Wasnt Cooney jettisoned when carbery was still
                        fit?

All of this is irrelevant anyway, without a fit and firing sexton we are going nowhere. Was there any update on him?
                        That's the spirit
                        Gwan Joe!!

Comment

I would have taken Marmion and left Farrell or Larmour at home.
                          Or Rob, don't forget about Rob;)

Comment

With no Toner, methinks no Best starting vs Scotland
                            Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

Comment

I can see Andy playing himself into the 15 jersey if Keith and Stockdale are fit and firing
                              Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
                                Thanks to Big Devin Toner, its a huge career hes had in green and whilst at times I felt he was too gangly on the really big days he really fronted up for Ireland.

Thanks again Dev
                                Agreed. Same could be said for Marmion... he might get another opportunity yet.

Comment

Working...
                                X