Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RWC 2019 31 Man squad

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    If you take only 2 specialist SHs, Carbery/Carty/AN OTHER as the emergency no 9?

    Comment


      Originally posted by neill_m View Post
      If you take only 2 specialist SHs, Carbery/Carty/AN OTHER as the emergency no 9?
      carty isnt 9 cover.

      Comment


        What do people make of Cooney being cut?

        I think its harsh as he didnt even get a chance to play last week and I don’t rate McGrath as better than him.

        Comment


          Originally posted by lawrence View Post
          What do people make of Cooney being cut?

          I think its harsh as he didnt even get a chance to play last week and I don’t rate McGrath as better than him.
          he isn't one of joe's guys; they don't get selected unless there is an injury or they are in insane form, but even them, one bad game, and it's back to square one. look at Cronin. Shortlisted for euro player of the year, a few bad throws and that was it for him starting, while Best can have games like that and is in little danger of losing his spot.

          Comment


            Originally posted by lawrence View Post
            What do people make of Cooney being cut?

            I think its harsh as he didnt even get a chance to play last week and I don’t rate McGrath as better than him.
            Very harsh. Better than McGrath, possibly better than Marmion too, and versatile. Definitely deserved a run. Joe has a weird disregard for some really good players. Cooney was great for Ulster all season.

            I didn’t really expect Bealham to make it to Japan but he’s a good TH and was another who can feel hard done by. The Connacht scrum gives everybody, Leinster and Munster included, problems and Bealham also gets around the field well. Porter isn’t starting for Leinster and has a lot to learn at TH but has walked in ahead of him.

            Comment


              Yeah, harsh, but to be expected. I'd rate Cooney ahead of McGrath too.

              Comment


                There is definitely very little between them, I just think it’s harsh on Cooney not to have been given 20 minutes, his form over the season deserved it, even have him on the bench for the Italian game.

                Marmion isnt a clear leader in the sub SH slot, there was a time there when his position in Connacht was under serious pressure.

                Porter seems to be getting on the plane covering both sides, making him pretty valuable and guaranteed game time, but he doesn’t do it for me in the loose.


                Comment


                  Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

                  Very harsh. Better than McGrath, possibly better than Marmion too, and versatile. Definitely deserved a run. Joe has a weird disregard for some really good players. Cooney was great for Ulster all season.

                  I didn’t really expect Bealham to make it to Japan but he’s a good TH and was another who can feel hard done by. The Connacht scrum gives everybody, Leinster and Munster included, problems and Bealham also gets around the field well. Porter isn’t starting for Leinster and has a lot to learn at TH but has walked in ahead of him.
                  I would still rate Marmion as the clear No.2 to Murray. He has played well for Ireland when given the chance and always gives 100%. I would have no qualms about his starting for the team. Not much between Cooney and McGrath, but Cooney just pips him with his versatility and goal-kicking.
                  Erse end of nowhere

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by Spiffy View Post

                    I would still rate Marmion as the clear No.2 to Murray. He has played well for Ireland when given the chance and always gives 100%. I would have no qualms about his starting for the team. Not much between Cooney and McGrath, but Cooney just pips him with his versatility and goal-kicking.
                    I rate Marmion myself, and he’s delivered in a couple of huge wins. I just think Cooney is could potentially be better than him. Marmion would be my second choice right now though.

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

                      I rate Marmion myself, and he’s delivered in a couple of huge wins. I just think Cooney is could potentially be better than him. Marmion would be my second choice right now though.
                      Its another case of not being given a chance, and in a way that's understandable being so close to the WC, Murray is 1st choice and Marmion next, he has the experience and has done what's needed when asked, it just seems harsh to bring people into camp that have been going well and then not giving them any game time.

                      With Murays injury profile over the last two seasons there will be ample opportunity under Andy Farrell for competition

                      Comment


                        By the way, TOD still with the squad so still has a shot. Gwan Tommy!

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post
                          By the way, TOD still with the squad so still has a shot. Gwan Tommy!
                          Back row will be an interesting call. I'd say that VdF, Stander, O'Mahoney and Conan are nailed on. That leaves two slots. I have a feeling that Schmidt may take 5 locks, because Henderson and Beirne can both cover 6 very well. That leaves an openside slot for TOD/Murphy/Ruddock. Of these three Tommy is the most natural 7, but Schmidt does like Murphy, who had a good run at 7 with Ulster this season, and Ruddock, who is not a 7 by inclination, but can do a job and is a reliable tough nut. POM can play 7 too. None is up to the Leavy standard at openside but VdF is close.
                          Erse end of nowhere

                          Comment


                            On Porter making the plane due to his versatility, I am curious what's left of John Ryan's early playing days at loose head?
                            Good things happen to those who wait, though mostly much too late.

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by lawrence View Post
                              What do people make of Cooney being cut?

                              I think its harsh as he didnt even get a chance to play last week and I don’t rate McGrath as better than him.
                              Yes found it very harsh especially with Cooney not getting any minute and McGrath IMHO not making much of those he was given.

                              Likewise while I did not expect Haley to be on the plane, I am surprised to see him go and Dave Kearney stay (for now at least). Not sure D Kearney offers more than Haley at wing and Haley is a FB.
                              Good things happen to those who wait, though mostly much too late.

                              Comment


                                McGrath over Cooney is a bizarre one alright, Joe is just awful as a selector.
                                \"Only Pienaar, Botha and Ferris would be in contention for a place on our first 15. That\'s a fact.\" - Tickettout\'s take on Ulster April 2011.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X