X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any news on Joey Carberry yet?

Comment

Originally posted by kahalui View Post

I've taken all of that into account. I can understand the logic behind using them but I don't think they'll bring about the desired result.
      A quickly executed, low-flying cross field kick may work if we have more numbers out wide.
      Carberrys cross field kicking at the weekend was more 'garryowen' like which gives the defense plenty of time to adjust and negate any perceived advantage.

I guess we'll see what happens over the coming weeks, if Ire continue to use them from inside their 22.

But Ireland won possession a few times and even scored a try from playing out of the 22. If they just cleared it it's handing away possession.

​​​​​

Comment

With other words. They need some more time....

Comment

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rug..._latest_digest

Comment

Originally posted by dropkick View Post

But Ireland won possession a few times and even scored a try from playing out of the 22. If they just cleared it it's handing away possession.

​​​​​
            We also dont need to show our hand too much at this stage. Someone above said we had become too predictable, adding a new option makes us harder to prepare for- even if we don't end up using it that much. We saw some better lines run by our backs towards the end fo 6N, and Farrell at 12 strengthens that possibility, any further alternative to the mortar like precision (and predictability) of Murray's kicks from the base makes us less predictable. Our plan A is good enought to beat all but the top 5 or so, I wouldnt expect to see anything but that against England.

Comment

That's very tight timewise....and I worry what happens if he comes back too soon (like he did for Munster). Carty and Cooney likely to benefit, even if Joey travels.

Comment

https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2019/...beat-the-race/
                'Joey's a great kid, hopefully he can beat the race'

Peter O'Mahony has noticed one significant change in the Ireland camp over the last couple of weeks.

Morre and more players are appearing in the team room at around the 9pm mark. Why?

"There's a lot more fellahs around camp after 9 o'clock since Love Island has finished to be honest," the captain told RTÉ Sport.

"There was only one or two of us left who were the last stragglers after 9 o'clock in the team room - it was desert land. There's a few heads peeking back out now.

"That's put to bed now for another few months."

A 43-man panel is coming out of a gruelling eight-week training camp that's priming Ireland for the autumn's World Cup in Japan.

Having beaten Italy 29-10 at the Aviva Stadium on Saturday, Ireland head for an eight-day warm-weather training camp in Portugal on Wednesday before facing England at Twickenham on Saturday week. They will then go into the first of back-to-back clashes with Wales seven days later.

This is where things get serious.

"There's pressure on everyone," O'Mahony added. "Thirty-one (the final number of players that will go to Japan) is a small number compared to what we're at at the moment.

"You've got to be right, you've got to be training well, you've got to be fit. A huge amount of work has gone in from everyone. There's only 31 that can go so you've got to put your best foot forward. Guys are doing their very, very best to do that.

"Guys have understood all the way through that Joe just doesn't look at your performance against Italy or England or Wales. It's the last eight weeks, your commitment to training, to everything. It's such an accumulation of so many factors.

"The big calls... I certainly wouldn't want to be making them because I know how hard guys are training. I've heard Joe speak about how difficult it was last time. I imagine it's going to be difficult again. That's a good thing."

The win against the Italians was tainted by Joey Carbery suffering an ankle injury that has cast doubt about his fitness for the tournament. It remains to be seen how bad the damage is, and O'Mahony is hoping his Munster team-mate can make the plane.

"That's just the joys of the sport we're involved in, and any sport. I don't think anything is clarified yet but fingers crossed for his sake that he'll be still able to play some part.

"I thought he'd played quite well the 40-odd minutes he was on. I've certainly enjoyed playing with him over the last 12 months. He's been a super addition to us down south and he's a great kid. Hopefully he can beat the race."

He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Comment

cntd....

O'Mahony talked up the spirit and camaraderie in the camp while also outlining the daily routine. Hard work is the order of the day with Schmidt and his back-room team leaving no stone unturned in the run-up to the opening pool game against Scotland on 22 September.

"We'd have an early session before breakfast. It wouldn't be very long but it'd be just to get you going, get you moving. Then you might have a pitch session, a bit of rugby followed by a bit of speed or power work afterwards and then you'd have a big gym session after lunch, and then you'd have your meetings and all the other stuff that goes along with being in camp.

"Our days are fairly full and long but I speak on behalf of everyone when I say they've been incredibly enjoyable. We've got on really well and guys have enjoyed training with each other. There's been great craic and morale around the place.

"It helps massively when you're with guys who you enjoy their company. I love driving in the gates. We've great craic.

"There's times when everyone finds it hard. Training is hard, there's no two ways about it. We've been in there a long time.

"We've three huge games left, England first up. The fear of looking beyond... we don't know what's out there. We've a big test at Twickenham. These games are the best preparation we can get going in to such a big competition.

"That's going to be our main focus now."
                  He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Comment

Originally posted by dropkick View Post

​​​​​
                    I'm not condoning the constant need to rely on box kicking as the sole strategy to get out of our 22, Dropkick. The long distance, up and under, cross field kick inside the 22 is high risk imo and I'm not convinced it will free up enough space for more effective ball carrying (in the tight), it didn't last weekend, anyway.

The likes of Conway, if he starts, would have far tougher opposition fielding those high balls against Wales or England, so it'll be interesting to see if that tactic is employed or not, irrespective of who starts. I've a feeling Joe will use it against the weaker sides, as a ploy to keep the top teams second guessing.

Comment

No - but Joey Carbery should be fit.

Erse end of nowhere

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffy View Post

No - but Joey Carbery should be fit.
                        My bad. I'm more used to the other version, and sometimes mix them up, without realising.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Gibson View Post

Neil Francis got 36 caps, Tom Court got 32.
                          In fairness Franno had immense talent, his sh1teness was due to pure laziness and unwillingness to make an effort. Tom Court was a talented athlete, just not a good enough tight head.

edit: forgot to say Franno was a bit of a blouse too
                          Last edited by Oldschoolsocks; 13th-August-2019, 20:07.
                          Only fools and drunks argue over everything. If you don’t have a hangover the next day you’re not the drunk...

Comment

Carbery out for 4-6 weeks. Cooney, Bealham and Haley cut from the squad.

Comment

Originally posted by neill_m View Post
                              Carbery out for 4-6 weeks. Cooney, Bealham and Haley cut from the squad.
                              Cooney is the only significant cut there; neither Bealham nor Haley had any business in that squad.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardP View Post

Cooney is the only significant cut there; neither Bealham nor Haley had any business in that squad.
                                especially with Carberry being injured we need that 3rd outhalf which means only two scrumhalves...I think that McGrath should probably have gone before Cooney though

Comment

Working...
                                X