RWC 2019 31 Man squad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eoinlyons View Post
    Carbery, Conway, Farrell and Ringrose all looked good. In the pack I thought Ruddock did pretty well. Hard day for the backrow to shine so it will be a case of looking at the close in stuff on the video. Our ball felt slow at times. I thought Beirne and Ryan looked sharp when they came on. Scrum was really good in the first half.

Was it my imagination or were many of McGrath's passes high? I really like him as a player but I think Marmion is probably 2nd and he has started big games that Ireland have won. I think Cooney is playing out of his skin and can place kick, and cover 10.

In general the team looks fit which is great.

I think Conway and Farrell may well have nudged themselves into the 31. Conway was excellent. Farrell probably needed to prove he could play 12 as well as 13.

He could take 5 locks as Henderson and Beirne covering BR. On the other hand Ruddock can cover 2nd row so it might be between Kleyn and Ruddock. Surely Beirne has to go, and in my view be in the test 23.

McGrath could be in real danger. Healy and Kilcoyne ahead of him for sure. Porter can play across, he'll only want to bring 5 FR. So Healy, Kilcoyne, Furlong, Ryan and Porter would be my 5.
    Easier to say who played their way out than in at the moment.

Herring and Haley will probably be cut before Portugal.

Both of the McGraths needed bigger games than they delivered IMHO. They may not get many more opportunities to put their hands up and could be relying on injuries.

Ruddock was grand but I think he needed a really big one too. Probably slipped down the order a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by lawrence View Post

hence the big word APPARENTLY
      So this is of the "heard it down the pub" variety of information. Ok.

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

So this is of the "heard it down the pub" variety of information. Ok.
        Pubs are so 1990.
        Heard it in the salad bar.

Comment

Originally posted by ustix View Post

A grim day. Richard Costelloe and Ben Cronin featured also iirc
          Costelloe played alright, but while Ben Cronin's two caps both came at Murrayfield, they were in 95 and 97.

Comment

For what it's worth, Rugbylad has Joey missing the Scotland game and possibly the Japan game as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Piquet View Post
              For what it's worth, Rugbylad has Joey missing the Scotland game and possibly the Japan game as well.
              They're quoting RugbyPass, who are quoting "a source close to the Irish camp". I'd be fairly skeptical of that stuff. We should get an official update pretty soon,

Comment

On the plus side, Irelands default pattern for building strength in depth will come into play here. With Carberry likely out for a few weeks, Joe will be forced to give Carty more mins in the meantime. Sexton takes a lot of knocks, so the more game time the 3rd choice OH gets, the better.

Comment

Originally posted by kahalui View Post
                  On the plus side, Irelands default pattern for building strength in depth will come into play here. With Carberry likely out for a few weeks, Joe will be forced to give Carty more mins in the meantime. Sexton takes a lot of knocks, so the more game time the 3rd choice OH gets, the better.

Thats fine except that Sexton has to play a bit before Scotland, he has missed some of the Camp with an injury and if the level of rustyness showed by other players is anything to go by he will need at a bare minimum three halfs of rugby before our opening and crucial game.

Comment

Originally posted by eoinlyons View Post

Kenny Hooks? v All Blacks in '89. Was his 2nd cap 8 years after his first one.
                    Impressive recall, in fairness

David Irwin also warned up like that one time coming on for Ireland iirc, & it may have been onto the wing too. But of course, he got many caps for Ireland over his illustrious career, including featuring strongly in the 82 triple crown (& championship) winning side. A really fine player, played centre a bit like Farrell does these days, all arms, legs, direct running, workrate & industry..... masking his huge underlying rugby intelligence and football ... in a word, class.

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

Forgive me for stating the bleedin obvious but losing Carberry seriously weakens Ireland's likely match day 23 and match replacement strategy at 10 & 15. A huge blow tbh...hopefully not as serious as being rumoured at the mo.

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

Originally posted by lawrence View Post

Thats fine except that Sexton has to play a bit before Scotland, he has missed some of the Camp with an injury and if the level of rustyness showed by other players is anything to go by he will need at a bare minimum three halfs of rugby before our opening and crucial game.
                        Sexton may start the majority of the games (up to QF stage) but he'll be used relatively sparingly I'd imagine. If Carberry is out injured, the last thing Ire can afford is an injury to Sexton.

Comment

Originally posted by Daithi View Post
                          Forgive me for stating the bleedin obvious but losing Carberry seriously weakens Ireland's likely match day 23 and match replacement strategy at 10 & 15. A huge blow tbh...hopefully not as serious as being rumoured at the mo.
                          Could have a knock on effect on other selections. If no Joey on the bench, need to have a sub who can cover centre and back three, which would improve Addison's chances.

That said, as a third choice, I rate Carty pretty highly. He's a very handy player who can really vary his game, and he hasn't looked at all nervous in his couple of appearances. Works well with Marmion and Aki too.
                          Last edited by Munsterboy; 12th-August-2019, 13:20.

Comment

Originally posted by kahalui View Post

Sexton may start the majority of the games (up to QF stage) but he'll be used relatively sparingly I'd imagine. If Carberry is out injured, the last thing Ire can afford is an injury to Sexton.
                            An injury to sexton at any stage is Tournament ending, but if he starts the WC the way he started the 6N then it could be curtains as well. He needs to be firing for the first two fixtures or the tournament could be over before we even see the Russians.

As said above the loss of Carbery could be massive, his ability to come on at 15 and have an impact is a very good weapon to have, would make us a far more potent attacking threat.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Snrub View Post
                              Ladies and Gentlemen, I'm going all out here but I challenge MF to come up with a player who has amassed so many caps with as little talent as David Kearney. The total is 17 caps.

I reckon there are AIL players with as much talent.
                              How many did Mick O'Driscoll get?
                              "They’re the benchmark that everyone else has to raise their game to meet." Alan Quinlan on Leinster

Comment

Originally posted by offshorerules View Post

How many did Mick O'Driscoll get?

Thats not fair, Micko was a far better winger than Daverage.

Comment

Working...
                                X