X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RWC 2019 31 Man squad

42.ie's pick of the 31, based on the AI's

https://www.the42.ie/ireland-2019-wo...67778-Nov2018/

Can't really argue with too much, I'd probably have JvDF instead of SOB, too injury prone, Conway instead of Addison. Lot of water to flow under the bridges before next Sept.
    Only possible bolter is JGP, IQ's in June.

Props:
    Tadhg Furlong
    Andrew Porter
    Cian Healy
    Jack McGrath
    John Ryan

Hookers:
    Rory Best [captain]
    Sean Cronin
    Niall Scannell

Second rows:
    Iain Henderson
    James Ryan
    Devin Toner
    Tadhg Beirne

Back rows:
    Peter O’Mahony
    Sean O’Brien
    Dan Leavy
    CJ Stander
    Jordi Murphy

Scrum-halves:
    Conor Murray
    Luke McGrath
    John Cooney

Out-halves:
    Johnny Sexton
    Joey Carbery
    Ross Byrne

Centres:
    Garry Ringrose
    Bundee Aki
    Robbie Henshaw

Back three:
    Rob Kearney
    Jacob Stockdale
    Keith Earls
    Jordan Larmour
    Will Addison.
    Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

Will be Rory's fourth RWC if he makes it, some record. Third RWC for a bunch of others, including Sexton, Kearney, Murray, Earls.
    "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
    Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Comment

Van der Flier and Farrell will be in that squad come what may,
      Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Sulla View Post
        42.ie's pick of the 31, based on the AI's

https://www.the42.ie/ireland-2019-wo...67778-Nov2018/

Can't really argue with too much, I'd probably have JvDF instead of SOB, too injury prone, Conway instead of Addison. Lot of water to flow under the bridges before next Sept.
        Only possible bolter is JGP, IQ's in June.

Props:
        Tadhg Furlong
        Andrew Porter
        Cian Healy
        Jack McGrath
        John Ryan

Hookers:
        Rory Best [captain]
        Sean Cronin
        Niall Scannell

Second rows:
        Iain Henderson
        James Ryan
        Devin Toner
        Tadhg Beirne

Back rows:
        Peter O’Mahony
        Sean O’Brien
        Dan Leavy
        CJ Stander
        Jordi Murphy

Scrum-halves:
        Conor Murray
        Luke McGrath
        John Cooney

Out-halves:
        Johnny Sexton
        Joey Carbery
        Ross Byrne

Centres:
        Garry Ringrose
        Bundee Aki
        Robbie Henshaw

Back three:
        Rob Kearney
        Jacob Stockdale
        Keith Earls
        Jordan Larmour
        Will Addison.
        That would be tough on Marmion, and Conway.

Comment

Addison and Larmour have done shag all to be ahead of Conway.

Marmion isn’t great but I haven’t seen anything spectacular from McGrath either. Suspect John Cooney will make it though.

VdF should go on the strength of his performance against the ABs. Hard to say who should miss out but the clock is ticking for Seanie.

Comment

Clickety click clickety click
            I am the million man.

Comment

This would highlight the strength in depth available now;

Kilcoyne, Herring, Bealham, Kleyn, Dillane, Ruddock, VDF, Conan, Marmian, Tyler, Sweetnam, McCloskey, Farrell, Conway, O'Halloran - Buckley, Tracey, Archer, Holland, TOD, JGP, Keatley, Arnold

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post
                Addison and Larmour have done shag all to be ahead of Conway.

Marmion isn’t great but I haven’t seen anything spectacular from McGrath either. Suspect John Cooney will make it though.

VdF should go on the strength of his performance against the ABs. Hard to say who should miss out but the clock is ticking for Seanie.
                Totally agree. Conway deserves to be in the squad (I'd even have him at FB ahead of Kearney, who has redeemed himself somewhat but is still a poor defender in a one-to-one situation).
                Seanie has been great in the past, but he is terribly injury-prone. I'd say both Leavy and VDF are better all round 7s now. Seanie could still make it as a cover for 6 and 8. Schmidt seems to like Jordi Murphy. I think he is solid, reliable but not outstanding. I'd take the five backrowers : POM, Stander, SOB, Leavy, VDF. That would also be hard on Ruddock, who is a tough nut, a good leader and an underrated player. Henderson and Beirne are also good backrow cover.
                Centre will be an interesting call. Ringrose is nailed on and Henshaw/Aki will probably make it. But Chris Farrell showed again today, after a long lay off, what an effective centre he can be with power, speed and good hands (but not so good defence), though the opposition, Edinburgh reserves, made life easy for him. Don't know if Schmidt would ever consider him as a 12, but if you want a massive, direct, pacy and powerful runner, who can also offload, he might be worth a look, where a player like Ringrose could really shine outside him. Maybe a bit late to start experimenting now.
                Henshaw seems an automatic selection in everyone's book, but I think, when given the chance, Aki is as good or better at 12, with maybe a bit more power and pace. Still think Henshaw might have been more effective if he'd stuck to FB.
                Whatever happens, some very good players will be left at home.
                Erse end of nowhere

Comment

Interesting piece in today’s Indo. https://www.independent.ie/sport/rug...-37583544.html
                  "They’re the benchmark that everyone else has to raise their game to meet." Alan Quinlan on Leinster

Comment

Originally posted by offshorerules View Post
                    Interesting piece in today’s Indo. https://www.independent.ie/sport/rug...-37583544.html
                    Larmour ranked 13 out of the 41 is just another example of the hype. Some good attacking play against weak opposition and bucket loads of raw talent but he’s miles away from the finished article. Compare his all round contribution to that of guys like Earls (ranked 20).

With the RWC around the corner and guys like Farrell (and potentially Tyler) coming into the frame at centre, I’d be looking at Henshaw and Conway as back three players (in addition to Rob, Keet and the lantern-jawed behemoth from the north).

Comment

Henshaw is not going to be a back 3 player anytime soon. Midfield is him, Bundee, Ringrose and Farrell could push in there over the next 10 months.

Comment

Originally posted by lawrence View Post
                        Henshaw is not going to be a back 3 player anytime soon. Midfield is him, Bundee, Ringrose and Farrell could push in there over the next 10 months.
                        Thanks Mystic Meg but that wasn’t a prediction, just a statement of opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

Thanks Mystic Meg but that wasn’t a prediction, just a statement of opinion.
                          But there isnt much chance of it happening especially when we have so many guys playing/capable of playing there. Id rather Henshaw was looked at as a 13 as thats where he started and did well in the centre and you had Bundee as a 12 inside him with both of them able play both positions as required

Comment

I wonder how many of Quinny's choices will make the final cut

Click image for larger version

Name:	12-C8-AFC2-C404-42-C2-97-C4-E8-A02-F8-F031-C.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	2548689

Comment

I still have high hopes for Gerhard van den Heever.

Comment

Working...
                              X