Nacewa for Fiji

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nacewa for Fiji

Ireland-based fly-half Isa Nacewa has announced he will play Test rugby for Fiji from 2010 and might join the national squad on its end-of-year tour to Britain and Ireland, the Fiji Times reported.

Nacewa, who plays for Heineken Cup champions Leinster after a Super 14 career with the Blues, said he is eager to play for Fiji from next year and at the 2011 World Cup in New Zealand.

Fiji technical director Mike Brewer welcomed Nacewa's announcement and said the 27-year-old might be called on as early as November, if Fiji lost players to injury during the Irish section of its European tour.

"We may call on him again to help us out for the week (of Fiji's test against Ireland) in Dublin. As Isa said in his own words 'Give me a call, I can only say no if it doesn't suit,"' Brewer said

"My discussions with Isa went very well. I informed him of the changes that we were looking to make and the fixtures program we want to put in place for the 2011 RWC."

Brewer said Nacewa, who played one match for Fiji at the 2003 World Cup in Australia, was clear about his future intentions.

"Isa has said to me that he will be making himself available to play for Fiji from 2010 onwards," he said.

"The whole reason he moved to Europe with his family was to continue his playing career.

"Isa wants to ensure that he has his family's future secured prior to playing again for Fiji."

Fiji will play Scotland on November 14, Ireland on November 21 and Romania on November 28 during the islander's end-of-year tour.

Brewer said efforts to arrange a Test against Argentina in Doha, Qatar prior to the Scotland match had fallen through because there was too little time to make the necessary arrangements.

"We didn't have enough time to pull things together but it will happen," Brewer told the Fiji Times.

He said he was working on a project which could see Fiji playing regular Tests in the Gulf state from 2012.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again (like picking Gordon D'Arcy) and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein

Originally posted by Gerry Thornley in todays Irish Times
    As an aside, speculation Isa Nacewa could return to Fijian
    colours next month – prompted by their new technical director
    Mike Brewer – is simply a non-runner.
    Comment

Originally posted by Mcork
      As Isa said in his own words 'Give me a call, I can only say no if it doesn't suit,"' Brewer said

sounds very committed alright
      Seas suas agus troid!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Cahill

Whys that Dave-does he have no interest, or does his Leinster contract prevent him from playing?
        Seas suas agus troid!

Comment

Fiji are a real dark horse IMO for the RWC 2011. They are hampered by not havingregular INTL competition to play in but they could make the same impact that Arg made last time under similar circumstances. Most of their players are star names in leading European clubs. Of the top of my head, Nalaga & Bai (Clermont), Nagusa (Ulster), Nicky Little (Harlequins) to name just a few. It seeems their big problem is players like Nacewa & Nalaga refusing to play for them in order to further careers in Europe. Hopefully they'll have their full deck to play with before the RWC11. There could be fireworks.
          Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again (like picking Gordon D'Arcy) and expecting different results.
          Albert Einstein

Comment

Must say, as a rugby playing nation Fiji are one of my favourites. They play with such carefree abandon. Had the pleasure of going to a local match on the south side of the main island when I was there. The crowd, though small, sang, chanted and waved flags the whole way through. At one point a woman (mother?) ran onto the pitch and hit a ref with her handbag over a decision! Fantastic entertainment and big hits.

I hope they can build on their impressive outing in the last World Cup, it's really sickening to see the raw deal places like Samoa, Tonga etc. get given their natural talent, fantastic athletes
            Marty in the Morning

Comment

That would be criminal IMO. Fiji are entitled to have their best players available andthe IRB should bring strong pressure to bear on those clubs seen to be standing in the way of this.
              Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by LLCOOLJ14

As an
                aside, speculation Isa Nacewa could return to Fijian colours
                next month – prompted by their new technical director Mike
                Brewer – is simply a non-runner.

Whys that Dave-does he have no interest, or does his
                Leinster contract prevent him from playing?
                No interest. He played that one test for Fiji as a sub,
                stupidly, it must be said, believing it wouldn't disqualify him
                from playing for New Zealand. He spent a couple of years
                going through IRB arbitration on the subject, which they
                rejected. It should be remembered that he was born and
                raised in New Zealand and has lived there all his life until
                coming to Ireland
                Comment

Well Dave youare basically saying that this Mike Brewer chap is telling outright lies. Because this 'no interest' is the complete opposite ofwhat he is saying- it can't be a simple misunderstanding or ambiguous statement. Even ifNacewa feels no belonging to Fiji, he is now qualified to play for them and them only - he has the chance to play in the RWC and he should take it with both hands IMO.

What's more isthey are not cannon fodder either and if they have all their qualified players available and a decent coaching set-up, they can make a huge impact.
                  Albert Einstein

Comment

Well Dave you are basically saying that
                    this Mike Brewer chap is telling outright lies. Because this
                    'no interest' is the complete opposite of*what he is saying*-
                    it can't be a simple misunderstanding or ambiguous
                    statement. *Even if*Nacewa feels no belonging to Fiji, he is
                    now qualified to play for them and them only - he has the
                    chance to play in the RWC and he should take it with both
                    hands IMO.
                    I think players should always play international rugby, it
                    makes them better players and broadens their personal
                    experiences.Its a decision he will regret once he retires if
                    he sticks to it. Cheika, not having had that opportunity
                    himself, is very much in favour of his players playing for
                    their countries and would be fully in favour of Nacewa
                    playing I'd say, especially as his 'first game back' would
                    likely be on his own ground.

But thats easy for us to say, we don't know whats going on
                    with the player. He was quoted in an interview only last
                    week or the week before (I'll try to dig it out) saying that
                    he was really looking forward to the autumn as with the
                    internationals away, it meant that he had to step up as a
                    senior player and provide leadership in the squad which he
                    enjoyed.

Comment

That would be disappointing. Let's all hope as rugby fans that he'll be playing for Fiji at RWC11 (if he makes the team as they have plenty of backs). Does anybody know the story with Nalaga? He isn't available either for selection apparently? He's phenomenal.
                      Albert Einstein

Comment

Fiji are a real dark horse IMO for the RWC 2011. They are hampered by not having*regular INTL competition to play in but they could make the same impact that Arg made last time under similar circumstances. Most of their players are star names in leading European clubs. Of the top of my head, Nalaga & Bai (Clermont), Nagusa (Ulster), Nicky Little (Harlequins) to name just a few. It seeems their big problem is players like Nacewa & Nalaga refusing to play for them in order to further careers in Europe. Hopefully they'll have their full deck to play with before the RWC11. There could be fireworks.
                        Nicky Little is Bath. Had a fine game at the weekend, or least the bit of it i saw before falling asleep due to extreme hungoverness.
                        <a href=\"http://www.xboxlc.com/profile/Ruck_You\" target=\"_blank\">
                        http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/sig/default/Ruck%20You.jpg
                        </a>

If you’re fat stay in the ruck - Liam Toland

Comment

That would be disappointing. Let's all hope
                          as rugby fans that he'll be playing for Fiji at RWC11 (if he
                          makes the team as they have plenty of backs).
                          I'd certainly hope so too.
                          Comment

THE Fiji Rugby Union does not know comments made by prop Deacon Manu that he would like to play for Wales during the end-of-the year tour.

Manu was last week named in the Flying Fijians 30-member squad for the Europe tour but has now seemed to have changed his mind.

Manu told BBC Sports Wales yesterday it would be an honour if he was called into the Wales squad for next month's autumn internationals.

FRU chairman Bill Gavoka said he was not aware of the comments made by Manu as the former Auckland Blues rep had been named in the Flying Fijians.

"I will have to talk to my people before I can comment," Gavoka said.

New Zealand-born Manu, 30, is eligible to play for Wales because of the three-year residency rule, after joining the Scarlets in 2006.

Wales coach Warren Gatland names his squad next Sunday, but has injury problems in the front row.

"Playing for Wales would be a huge honour," Manu said. "I know the passion behind the Welsh culture in rugby is huge. It's very similar to New Zealand."

If he is picked for Wales, he would follow in the footsteps of Australian Brent Cockbain, South African Hal Luscombe and Kiwi Brett Sinkinson as foreigners who each played for Wales after qualifying through residency.

But Manu would not go as far as saying he would play for Wales if he was given the call.

"I haven't really thought much about it," he added.

"I'm just trying to make sure I start week in week out and cement my place in the Scarlets.

"I just have to get selected for that and I'm not sure where I'm sitting at the moment in terms of the ranking of props.

"I'd have to make that decision when it comes to it."

Seven social sins: politics without principles, wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, and worship without sacrifice

Comment

Fiji squad for the November tests is below
                              <DIV id=c&#111;ntent style="CLEAR: both" ="text"> The Fiji Rugby Union today released the names of 30 players to represent the Flying Fijians on next month’s tour to Europe. The squad includes 14 members of the 2007 Rugby World Cup team that performed so admirably in France by beating Wales to reach the quarter finals, where the team gave eventual champions South Africa an almighty scare.

Perhaps most notably the inside back pairing of Mosese Rauluni of Saracens (UK) and Nicky Little of Bath (UK) are reunited for what may be the final time in a partnership that has already spanned more than a decade.National team selector Mosese Taga revealed the reason behind the inclusion of the two veterans.

“It must be realised that this is not a development tour and both Rauluni and Little remain two of our best players, and host nations demand we field our best team and if we do not then it could affect future tours hence their inclusion” Taga said.

“Host nations want their stadiums filled so at all times we’ve got to ensure we field our best team, it’s as simple as that.” Another notable inclusion in the team is that of Llanelli Scarlets tight head prop
                              Deacon Manu.

“We’re delighted Deacon Manu has finally put his hand up for Fiji, look around there’s no better tight head prop than him available to represent Fiji,” the former Fiji captain added.

“It’s a very crucial position and if we want to win our own balls we need a good tight head otherwise we’ll continue to struggle to win our own ball.”

A late inclusion in the touring squad is France based Wame Lewaravu who replaces Waikato’s Dominiko Waqaniburotu.

“It’s our understanding that Waikato have reached a very crucial point in the season as they push for a play off spot in their NPC competition and they’ve requested to have Dom with them,” Taga said.
                              The full 30 member Fiji Rugby team for next month’s Europe tour is:

<S&#079;NG>FORWARDS</S&#079;NG>
                              Graham Dewes, Aisake Tarogi, Alefoso Yalayalatabua, Deacon Manu, Vili Veikoso, Vereniki Sauturaga, Sireli Ledua, Josefa Domolailai, Wame Lewaravu, Ifereimi Rawaqa, Leone Nakarawa, Akapusi Qera, Asaeli Boko, Jimilai Nakaidawa, Samu Bola, Netani Talei, Jone Qovu, Kelemedi Bola

<S&#079;NG>BACKS</S&#079;NG>
                              Mosese Rauluni, Waisale Vatuvoka, Nicky Little, Jonetani Ratu, Waisale Luveniyali, Seremaia Bai, Kameli Ratuvou, Vereniki Goneva, Filimoni Delasau, Nasoni Roko, Napolioni Nalaga, Norman Ligairi </DIV>

Comment

Working...
                              X